1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour staining on Panny PT-AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jonny1973, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lately, my panasonic PT-AE100 has started show a faint vertical strip of purple "haze" down both the left and right edges. The rest of the image has a yellow-ish tint.

It's not that obvious until you look at the white screen in the service menu but now i know it's there, it's driving me nuts.

I have 985 hours (mainly in low mode) on my current lamp!!!

Is this normal for an LCD??
    Will a new lamp fix this?
    Is my projector faulty?
    Is it caused by dust on a panel???
    Is there anything I can do to correct it??

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine had a colour uniformity problem but after only a few hours use. Mine was greenish on the left and pinkish on the right. The Panasonic engineer felt that this was something that might be expected after a few hours use but not as quickly as it happened to me. I believe it is to do with internal heat causing the lcd panels to warp.

It might be worth getting someone to look at the projector anyway. I assume that you've been cleaning or changing the filter regularly (the manual reckons cleaning it every 100 hours).

Might I just add that after looking at posts about the AE100 for the last few weeks, yours is the highest count I've seen on a lamp yet! Gives me confidence (of course, once I have my projector back).

3. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, i had cleaned the filter.

I'm going to take it back to my dealer (Audiovision, Brighouse) next week to let them have a look.

4. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My local Panasonic guy seems to imply that the colour uniformity problems in the AE100 is caused by a "mirror alignment" problem that they are aware of. Mine is going in to repair this in the next week...

5. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see how mirror mis-alignment can cause this. Mirror mis-alignment will cause convergence errors and non-uniform convergence.

It's common with all LCD-projectors to have a slightly non-uniformly colored picture, and I believe it's got something to do with the polarizer panels or the actual LCDs. It's possible that the heat of the bulb causes som areas of a panel to change transparency.

On some LCD-projectors the color-uniformity is adjustable in the firmware but not on the AE100 I'm afraid.

Tor Arne

6. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    >>I don't see how mirror mis-alignment can cause this.
    Your explanation regarding the polarizer panels or the actual LCDs make sense to me as well, but the above was what the Panasonic guy told me. Hey, who am I to argue...?

If only I can get my unit in to them... every week I speak to them they are waiting for special cables that they need (during servicing) to keep the pc boards connected with the LCD panels/mirrors/etc while adjusting it. Well, maybe next week... :-(

The funny thing is (as mentioned on a different discussion topic) that the problem seems to have improved considerably (i.e. was really bad at 200hrs and is almost acceptable at 270hrs). On close observation it almost seems to fluctuate from one viewing session to the next. Hopefully once they've serviced it we will know exactly what the problem was.

Despite all of this, I'm still really happy with my AE100. Maybe computer software has conditioned us to become more tollerant of sub-standard quality :)