Colour space settings/Spears and Munsil Version 1

Damian1978

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Been pleased with the picture from my LCD TV for a while. Always seemed to use 4:2:2 colour space when I had my CA651BD player. Now have the Denon with latest firmware fixes (displays whiter than white now) and running the S&M disc again there are less errors using RGB Standard. On the Chroma plate this is a little moire but its colourful to the very edges and on the other Chroma test (forgot its name) it matches the Good example on the disc.

It still passes whiter than white and doesn't seem to crop any other colours so is this the best compromise for my LCD and if so does my DVD player need to be set from YUV to RGB Standard to?

My consoles also seem fine on RGB Standard but they pass through my AVR.

Thanks

Anyone?

Where's AVI when you need him? :)

It still passes whiter than white and doesn't seem to crop any other colours so is this the best compromise for my LCD and if so does my DVD player need to be set from YUV to RGB Standard to?

My consoles also seem fine on RGB Standard but they pass through my AVR.

Thanks

AFAIK the Denon 3313 doesn't have a user selectable option for YCbCr 4:2:2 output. It is limited to YCbCr 4:4:4 and that may not be optimum depending on the combination of products. Some combinations produce optimum results using RGB so there's no right or wrong hence using the S&M assessment tools.

HDMI Deep Colour processing may also be a factor that affects some combinations and this requires a fully upsampled scheme. Using RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 potentially offers lower precision i.e. limited to 8 bit p/c compared to YCbCr 4:2:2 (upto 12 bit p/c) without HDMI Deep Colour support (assuming it's not just padded or truncated).

With regard to your DVD it also depends. If it supports user selectable YCbCr 4:2:2 compare the results with RGB using S&M and establish is there if one is optimum.

Obviously ensure anything between the source and display doesn't perform unnecessary conversion or override user preferences set at source.

Last edited:
Yay. Never fails. Ta :)

RGB Normal did seem to produce more tick boxes than 4:4:4 so may leave it at that.

Are there any similar patterns for DVD players? The DV139 has selectable Colour Space modes but my TV seems to default to YUV(sp?) if you leave it to Auto.

Y

Are there any similar patterns for DVD players? The DV139 has selectable Colour Space modes but my TV seems to default to YUV(sp?) if you leave it to Auto.

Sorry not from S&M. Merighi offers some PAL specific assessment patterns but not as easy to assess.

Unless the DV139, the display, plus everything between "properly" supports HDMI Deep Colour using RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4 it's likely to offer lower precision i.e. 8 bit per channel due bandwidth limitations. This can negate the benefit of higher than 8 bit player based processing such as de-interlacing, scaling, chroma upsmapling due to truncation or rounding at output. YCbCr 4:2:2 supports up to 12 bit precision without HDMI Deep Colour assuming the video chain can use it properly.

In addition the ABT porcessing is native YCbCr 4:2:2 and it's usually best to avoid unnecessary conversion unless performance is made worse in some area if it isn't converted. In that case it's a compromise using the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom