Colour Settings on new Pioneer 427XD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by levitacl, May 3, 2007.

1. levitacl

levitacl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi watching the snooker today, which obviously has a lot of colour, the snooker balls look very blurred when stationary and moving. The green baze looks is very "harsh" and blotchy (which was the same when watching football, the grass looked like lumps of green patches)

the black levels are superb however - just the colour is where im struggling the most :-(

Is there a explanation of how the various pciture settings influence the picture in "plain english"

Many thanks for you responces

My settings are:

Contrast: 26
    Brightness: -2
    Colour: -2
    Tint: 2 (red)
    Sharpness: 0

Pro Adjust Menu:

PureCinema: Standard
    Colour Temp: Mid-Low
    CTI: Off
    Colour Management: All set to 0
    Colour Space: 1
    Intelligent Colour: Off

Noise Reduction
    DNR: Off
    MPEG NR: Low
    BNR: Off

DRE
    Dynamic Contrast: Off
    Black Level: Off
    ACL: Off
    Gamma: 1
    Intelligent DRE: Off

Others
    I-P Mode: 2

Drive mode: 100Hz

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Standard def snooker isn't kind to plasma panels. Lots of colour, moving balls and very intense overhead lighting make for a severe test. On the very best panels, really well set up it looks OK but would still never be demo material here.

Most of your settings look good. Whilst it may seem daft when you say that the snooker balls look blurry I would try reducing the sharpness control still further. You may be surprised by the result.

3. levitacl

levitacl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments Peirs - I'll take a look at the sharpness settings.

Is it generally the case that the "Noise Reduction" settings should not be used? (as i have read in alot of the postings) why is this? surely Pioneer would'nt spend the money on the technology for people never to switch them on?

Also, should i be leaving my screen on for "burning in" ?

Thanks again
    Cliff

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The noise reduction settings do not enhance the picture in my opinion with the exception of MPEG NR for some poorer quality sources. All marketing hype I suspect.

The 7 series are (mostly) less prone to image retention than were the 6 series but I still recommend playing things safe and running in gently. Your present settings are safe-ish just don't leave static images up for long for the first couple of hundred hours use and watch out for channel logos (a quick switch to another channel now and again will alert you if there is a problem from logos - if they don't disappear within a few minutes then I would knock the contrast down another couple of clicks whilst running in).

5. levitacl

levitacl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    top bananas ! thanks Piers:smashin:

one thing that baffles / confuses me somewhat......when people comment here that they use reduced settings while "burning in" and then increase them later on...... for me, the settings i have on my 427XD look superb, the colour is natural, the blacks are black, the white's are white and the picture looks sharp and clear.........to increase the settings in 200 hours or so would degrade the picture!? no?

or am i missing / missunderstood something here!!??

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The settings that you have at the moment that are giving you a very pleasing picture are substantially different to the "out of the box" settings. They have got your plasma closer to its ultimate potential but believe me (I do it for a living!) there is still more to be got from it..and it most certainly won't degrade the picture.

7. levitacl

levitacl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Peirs, i think i might be calling on your services at some point in the future !!

all the best
    Cliff