Colour problems with Componant

S

Stimpy

My setup is as follows
Pioneer 565 DVD -->component-->vivid VTB100 scaler -->VGA-->LGPZ14 plasma
Skybox -->S-vid-->vivid VTB100 scaler -->VGA-->LGPZ14 plasma
VCR -->Composite to S-vid converter -->vivd VTB100 Scaler-->VGA--LGPZ14 plasma.

The picture for the skybox and vcr is much better compared to using a composite only connection.

Previously I ran a ProV scaler only using S-VID for the DVD player.

Now the problem, when using componant directly to the screen or to the scaler I get very strange colour problems, usually seen in skin tones or certain clothing (tweed jackets, etc). Watching Thomas Crown afair last night it was especially visiable on a green tweed jacket which would turn red in places depending on the angle of the actor.
I never got this problem with S-VID.
I have managed to dial the problem out a little by reducing the colour and increasing the contrast a little (and using the THX setup screens on other DVDs), but still cannot eliminate the problem entirely??

Can anybody help?

Cheers

If you weren't using component, I'd say it was a cross colour problem, which is typical of composite video. I do wonder if it's because of the actual DVD being mastered this way, rather than a connection problem. Unfortunately, I don't think I have that DVD for comparison.

BTW, you should try a direct feed of composite to the scalar as many do try to clean up composite. Little adaptors do little more than filter to give a soft picture.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

I've got Thomas Crown, it's got a stunning sailing sequence :D But no colour problems. It's something in your setup, hard to say what without swapping parts out. Have you tried leaving the scaler out?

Stimpy

Hard one to diagnose with so many variables - is your DVD player definitely set to output Interlaced YUV component video.

If you haven't reset it it may be outputting RGB + S-Video and your scaler could potentially be processing RGB and happy to see the sync from the S-Video line.

Best regards

Joe

PS Sondek has a K

Cheers for all the advise.
Problem seems to have appeared for some SKY channels as well (especially paramount), i.e. S-VID to scaler.
I will try and play around with different refresh rates and resolutions tonight as well.
Some disks seem to play great with no problems (Indiana Jones)

Also a further question.
The LG only displays 480 lines, PAL is 576 lines, so obviuously the image will need to be scaled down.
The vivid can output at 480 800 or 1024 and at 60 and 75 Hrz.
What would be the best setting.
Do all the scaling in the vivid and output at 640x480 at 75Hrz or let the vivid upscale first to say 800x600 at 75Hrz and then let the plasma scale down??
My thoughts are if I output at 640x480 I will loose some of the vertical lines as well but only have to process the horizonal lines once.
At 800x600 I will loose the least information but will have two stages of processing for the horizontal lines and hence potential for lip-sync problems.

Which version of the Thomas Crown Afair do you have? And is it UK or US?

Your right that PAL is 576 lines, but you've only got 480. However, in any one field, only half the lines are shown due to the video source being interlaced. And even then, some aren't shown to allow for flyback with a CRT TV. So, you'll find that there's more than enough lines on your screen to show PAL.

So how does a screen show a PAL picture on 480 lines? It does a type of progressive scanning to fill the 480 lines, and these are all updated at the same time.

As for frame rates with an external scalar, technically you should keep this at the same rate or multiples of the source frame rate. Remember, the more processing you do, the more noise in the system. Often, a direct feed will give you the sharpest picture.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

I'm playing the region 2 copy of thomas Crown, but the problem can be seen on other disks as well (ROTRs) as well as sky+.
I'm starting to wonder if the solorization problem is down to the VIVID scaler. My old ProV did not show up the same problems.
I have tried connecting via S-VID as well as componant.
Basically if the scene is question is dark with say a close of shot of a face I can see red blotches that sometimes shimmer.
Sometimes if there is a very bright red I often get a pixalated shimmer.

I think it's the R1 version of the new TCA I have. I don't recall seeing any of the effects that you describe. I would have to check through my DVD collection to find it (which might be a problem as I found last night looking for another title!).

All the best,

John.

Have managed to dial most of the problem out now.
I think I had the contrast on too high and the brightness down to low (trying to get decent blacks). Saying that I did origanally use the THX optimizer on the Indiana Jones DVDs to set this up???
Have also messed around with the colours a little, now awaiting THX glasses for final setup.
It gets quite difficult when you can set the same settings on the DVD player the Scaler (de-interlacer) and the plasma. Thus the need for fine tuning all along the signal chain.

Thanks again for your help

Is there any part of Indy Jones which is causing this problem? I've got the US version to hand.

All the best,

John.

Havn't watched the movie for a while so can comment on Indiana Jones.
If you have Fellowship of the ring. I can see the problem in the scene where Gandalf scares Bilbo into giving up the ring. Get some very strange blotches everywhere. More of a problem on componant compared to S-Vid connection to the Vivid.
Solarisation is still a problem but I can live with that.
Note I am only sitting about 2.5m from screen can't do much about that.

The problem with putting on Fellowship of the Ring, or Two Towers, is stopping the film. Such a good films you just can't help watching them.

Anyway, sorry, nothing to report. I'm getting a superb picture on my screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Problem solved. I have gone back to the ProV (after fixing it).
The vivid scaler is in my opinion a piece of crap. It does have good contrast ratio
but suffers from very bad colour banding and red/green blotches. Especially with
the componant inputs (LG screen suffers the same with direct componant input).
The ProV sufferes no banding or blotches. The only problem seems to be contrast ratio's. E.g. using the THX optimizer I cannot see any of the different shades of white.
But picture quality seems to be pretty much perfect

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom