Colour problem windows 11 hdr sony x900h

SnakePlissken006

If you are not interested in trying all possible solutions, why post?
Try a different software.
Try a different cable.
Try a different monitor/TV
Try Displayport
If after you have tried all of the above, and it still occurs, your GPU is probably faulty
Even if Linux works then the problem is still on windows which I need so what difference would that make?
I've actually tried a different hdmi cable.
I don't have another monitor to test it on. Even so why would that make a difference if I was to find a monitor that it worked on? The whole point is to Try and get my computer working with my tv which it should be able to. Plus I've already ruled out my tv being the problem as I've tested the same games on console which I posted above.
If you're not going to help then don't post.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Even if Linux works then the problem is still on windows which I need so what difference would that make?
I've actually tried a different hdmi cable.
I don't have another monitor to test it on. Even so why would that make a difference if I was to find a monitor that it worked on? The whole point is to Try and get my computer working with my tv which it should be able to. Plus I've already ruled out my tv being the problem as I've tested the same games on console which I posted above.
If you're not going to help then don't post.
You've tested the same games on the console, what help is that actually?
Do you not own a other TV?
If you've tried all the above thrn your GPU is likely faulty.

SnakePlissken006

You've tested the same games on the console, what help is that actually?
Do you not own a other TV?
If you've tried all the above thrn your GPU is likely faulty.
If the exact same games running on console don't have the colour banding issues and look fine then I think it's safe to say its not a fault with the TV.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
long shot but you are not using any pcie extension cables are you ? for example to side mount your GPU in your case? if so try without it.
i find hdr on Windows desktop looks bloody awful so don't use it, but when I turn on in games it looks great. it's a shame. my PS4 looks great with HDR even on the desktop
I too have a Sony TV but it's a different model (65xd9305)

SnakePlissken006

long shot but you are not using any pcie extension cables are you ? for example to side mount your GPU in your case? if so try without it.
i find hdr on Windows desktop looks bloody awful so don't use it, but when I turn on in games it looks great. it's a shame. my PS4 looks great with HDR even on the desktop
I too have a Sony TV but it's a different model (65xd9305)
Nah I'm not using anything like that. I think my desktop looks great in hdr it just seems to be games that are broken. After searching the Internet for hours on forums and stuff I think I kind of figured out whats causing the problem. Its to do with windows colour profile. Maybe certain games use different colour bits and windows can't override applications so it messes with colours. The problem mainly seems to be with sdr games. Native hdr games look fine as far as I know but even when switching to sdr the older games have banding issues. Here's an article explaining it. I still haven't found a solution yet though. It could be a software problem with nvidia or windows I have no idea. Kind of sucks as I want to play dead space 2 but it just looks awful with the colour banding. I'm surprised nvidia or Microsoft couldn't have known about this when I contacted them.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
How much time do you have to spare ( and a spare SSD ) ?
you can download 10 Download Windows 10
don't worry about the license key

install W10* and drivers for your GPU , along with the game your having trouble with
and see if you get the same results.
* when installing W10 make sure you are not connected to the internet and use the "i don't have a windows key ) - ( this will bypass the signing in and activation bollocks )

shouldn't take no more than a few hours ( after all the windows updates are done )
too save time make a copy of the game file - save having to download it - unless your on super dopper fast fibre BB.

SnakePlissken006

How much time do you have to spare ( and a spare SSD ) ?
you can download 10 Download Windows 10
don't worry about the license key

install W10* and drivers for your GPU , along with the game your having trouble with
and see if you get the same results.
* when installing W10 make sure you are not connected to the internet and use the "i don't have a windows key ) - ( this will bypass the signing in and activation bollocks )

shouldn't take no more than a few hours ( after all the windows updates are done )
too save time make a copy of the game file - save having to download it - unless your on super dopper fast fibre BB.
It could actually be windows 11. I upgraded from Windows 10 in October and don't really remember having these issues before. Only had my pc a few months before upgrading to windows 11 though so hard to say. I don't have a spare hard drive unfortunately so I guess I could downgrade back to windows 10 or just see if a fix comes for windows 11.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
If you don't have a spare drive and savvy enough , could you spilt a drive you have now ?
give it a good amount a space to install W10 onto
Screenshot (18).png

this is my lappy and going to install W11 - just haven't got around to it yet and it's only one drive split into two.

but to be honest a 120gb ssd can be had for as little as 15/20 quid on amazon these days

might be worth spending a bit of time figuring out if it's W11 is the problem by trying W10
if it's same results then i guess it's safe to say it's a hardware problem..

SnakePlissken006

If you don't have a spare drive and savvy enough , could you spilt a drive you have now ?
give it a good amount a space to install W10 onto
View attachment 1678274
this is my lappy and going to install W11 - just haven't got around to it yet and it's only one drive split into two.

but to be honest a 120gb ssd can be had for as little as 15/20 quid on amazon these days

might be worth spending a bit of time figuring out if it's W11 is the problem by trying W10
if it's same results then i guess it's safe to say it's a hardware problem..
I just signed up for the windows 11 insider programme and installed a massive update. Seems like they've added a lot of hdr features. In settings they've added an option for hdr calibration which it always lacked. The app is supposed to work the same way xbox series x does which is what I tested the same games on. I'll wait for the app to release and see if that sorts the problem but it sounds good. I think with most tvs windows doesn't recognise it like it would a monitor with proper pc drivers so it doesn't know the capability of the tv. That's maybe why certain games look bad on it as windows is displaying different brightness/contrast from my tv resulting in colour banding and loss of detail. Hopefully the app releases soon so I can test it.

Attachments

• 20220405_125019.jpg
    20220405_125019.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 14

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom