Colour problem setting SKY+ to RGB output

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by CameronE, Sep 6, 2007.

1. CameronE

CameronE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a new SKY+ box which I've connected by SCART to my DVD Recorder and then by SCART to the TV (RGB Passthrough).

I have set all the input/output settings on the DVD Recorder correctly as per advice from these forums but when I try and change the output on the SKY+ box to RGB the TV screen gets a blue shading i.e. in the SKY menu's anything yellow goes green and red goes purple etc. (Sorry don't know the technical term - hope you can understand what I mean!)

Could it be the SCART leads that are faulty/inferior as they are quite old and don't have gold plated connectors?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Hello CameronE

Connect the SKY+ box direct to the TV and see what results you get when its set to Output RGB.

Joe

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Before spending any money, I would try the Sky + box direct to the TV to isolate the cables and Sky+ box from the equation. Also ensure that the SCART socket on the TV you are connecting to is RGB enabled as not all SCART sockets, particularly on older TV sets are capable of RGB. I take it that the DVD recorder is definitely capable of RGB passthrough?

If that still results in a poor picture, obviously try swapping SCART cables around (even swapping the ends) and if that has the same results, try a new SCART lead. I don't advocate spending a fortune but do recommend upgrading the SCART leads as those out-of-the-box ones are nasty and can fall apart damaging your kit. I've seen it happen). Try Thor (£18), Vivanco Prowire (£12), Philex (£12) and then the more expensive brands like Ixos, QED (£30 approx) etc.

4. CameronE

CameronE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks

I'll try it when I get home tonight

5. CameronE

CameronE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Joe Fernand / davepuma

I connected the SKY+ box directly to the TV which still gave problems so I swapped for a spare SCART lead which worked OK.

I put the cables back to how I had them previously ie RGB passthrough and everything is running spot on now.

:thumbsup: