colour problem ongoing with Sony replacement tvs

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has the tech knowledge to help me understand what is happening with Sony New Tvs/replacement Tvs that we seem to have the same problem with.

Out of the box the TVS are astounding, especially the latest 85" x900h that was a replacement for another sony that had the same problem.

Heres the problem, and its basically impossible to find anything that relates to it anywhere, in fact i am sick of getting the same generic advice when googling this issue to adjust the picture settings.

It has NOTHING to do with the picture settings, something happens to these TVS LEDs over a small period of time (a few days), meaning, there are no vertical lines or pixel problems or black screen/white screen or power offs etc, but the quality of the picture has dropped dramatically from out of the box.

Most youtube 1080p content that was originally impressive, is now terrible quality and the 4k you tube content although viewable, is nothing like it was out of the box.

Netflix is the same.

The best way to describe it is that the deep rich contrast that this TV was capable of displaying for the first few days.... is GONE, and instead we have a picture that although viewable, is somehow off, and instead of that deep rich colour you get when viewing 4k or 4kHDR content you get this what can best be described as a flat colour.

Its almost as if a TV that is capable of displaying an image that is truly impressive and worth every cent, becomes a mediocre cheap display.

And yes i have tried several hard resets, factory resets, removing all hdmi, tv & cat cables etc, but nothing will restore this TVS original out of the box deep beautiful rich contrast.

Is it possible that my Nvidea Shield 2017 or my LG home theatre running ARC can somehow mess with the LED panel effectively damaging it?

I ask this because the same thing seems to happen again and again with replacement TVS and we use the Nvidea Shield as our main source for streaming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is seriously messing with my head and this is not a cheap TV.

cheers,
Bewildered kiwi

Attachments

• Netflix washed out yellowly skin tone.jpg
    Netflix washed out yellowly skin tone.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Bright yellowy skin tone netfix menu.jpg
    Bright yellowy skin tone netfix menu.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 98
  • Netflix dolby vision 2.jpg
    Netflix dolby vision 2.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Netflix menu washed out skin colour.jpg
    Netflix menu washed out skin colour.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Netflix menu yellowy pale skin.jpg
    Netflix menu yellowy pale skin.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 70
  • youtube menu 2.jpg
    youtube menu 2.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
No, your external equipment cannot damage your TV's panel.
How many replacement TV's have you had?

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Agree looks horrendous. One thing not quite clear is are you streaming via the Nvidia Shield at all times? Do you get same effects if streaming strait to TV?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has the tech knowledge to help me understand what is happening with Sony New Tvs/replacement Tvs that we seem to have the same problem with.

Out of the box the TVS are astounding, especially the latest 85" x900h that weas replacement for another sony that had the same problem.

Heres the problem, and its basically impossible to find anything that relates to it anywhere, in fact i am sick of getting the same generic advice when googling this issue to adjust the picture settings.

It has NOTHING to do with the picture settings, something happens to these TVS LEDs over a small period of time (a few days), meaning, there are no vertical lines or pixel problems or black screen/white screen or power offs etc, but the quality of the picture drops dramatically from out of the box.

Most youtube content that is 1080p becomes terrible quality and the 4k you tube content although viewable is nothing like it was out of the box.

Netflix is the same.

The best way to describe it is that the deep rich contrast that this TV was capable of displaying for the first few days.... is GONE, and instead we have a picture that although viewable, is somehow off, and instead of that deep rich colour you get when viewing 4k or 4kHDR content you get this what can best be described as a flat colour.

Its almost as if a TV that is capable of displaying an image that is truly impressive and worth every cent, becomes a mediocre cheap display.

And yes i have tried several hard resets, factory resets, removing all hdmi, tv & cat cables etc, but nothing will restore this TVS original out of the box deep beautiful rich contrast.

Is it possible that my Nvidea Shield 2017 or my LG home theatre running ARC can somehow mess with the LED panel effectively damaging it?

I ask this because the same thing seems to happen again and again with replacement TVS and we use the Nvidea Shield as our main source for streaming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is seriously messing with my head and this is not a cheap TV.

cheers,
Bewildered kiwi

I suppose it's almost impossible to do but pictures of out of the box compared to a few days later would be ideal. I've never heard of this before so the fact it's happened on three sets in a row in quick succession points to an issue with the set up/streaming. Are you able to run an ethernet cable to ensure the best internet possible and see if that resolves the issue. Also, are you changing the picture settings at all?

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
Agree looks horrendous. One thing not quite clear is are you streaming via the Nvidia Shield at all times? Do you get same effects if streaming strait to TV?
Yes, same effects if streaming TV. Those photos were taken using the Tvs android operating system, not the Nvidea shield. Its across all platforms including when using digital TV. The xbox one x also looks unimpressive.

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
I suppose it's almost impossible to do but pictures of out of the box compared to a few days later would be ideal. I've never heard of this before so the fact it's happened on three sets in a row in quick succession points to an issue with the set up/streaming. Are you able to run an ethernet cable to ensure the best internet possible and see if that resolves the issue. Also, are you changing the picture settings at all?
To be honest out of the box on the Sony 85" X900H is astounding, so the difference in quality is VERY noticable. All devices are hard wired with cat 6 cable, and yes i have also tried using Wifi to test if somehow the picture issue was related to the cabling. Out of the box settings on this TV are pretty much spot on but i like a tv that pops, so i changed the settings from standard to vivid and also turned off the light sensor. Thats about all i did to the settings. And yes, i have tried adjusting the settings, resesting the settings, & also hard reset & factory resetting the TV, nothing helps.

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
Just looking at your previous posts and you say that you have this 'issue' with both the Sony and previous Panasonic TVs?
Yes, the panny i eventually took back and was refunded. But now i am going down the same track with Sony tvs. Unlike Panasonic Sony were actually very helpful and replaced an older model TV with this one so we were over the moon initially . I am at a point of just giving up and going back to my old 65" Sony bravia 4k (no HDR or full array lighting) TV that is still going strong.

button_sw

It doesn't make any sense at all, there must be something wrong with your set-up as the TV would not all of a sudden change the way the colours look.

Am I correct in saying you're using vivid mode? That is not accurate at all and will mess with colours and gamma etc

What is your black level/brightness set to? It should be 50. If it's cranked up it will probably make colours washed out

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
It doesn't make any sense at all, there must be something wrong with your set-up as the TV would not all of a sudden change the way the colours look.

Am I correct in saying you're using vivid mode? That is not accurate at all and will mess with colours and gamma etc

What is your black level/brightness set to? It should be 50. If it's cranked up it will probably make colours washed out
Thats the weird thing, you can change the settings as i did, and the TV will be fine for days or with past tvs, weeks, then one morning i will simply turn it on and BAM, the colours are weird, so to say that having it on Vivid messes up the tvs picture is incorrect. trust me, I wish it was as simple as adjusting the picture. Standard viewing is worse, its dull and the colour is still off. Out of the box standard was alot brighter than it is now, so something has definitely happened to either the TVS hardware or the LED panel.

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
Just an update as to what the TV is doing in case anyone else runs into the same issues i am. (still no better off i might add) On the weekend the TV reclaimed its pop, meaning the weird washed out colour was gone, and instead the beautiful deep contrast & clarity that this TV is capable of displaying was back. But it only lasted for the weekend, i turned the TV on Monday morning and the off colour and contrast was back. (this also would happen with the past TVS & the good picture never lasted long) I had a local electrician have a look at our place yesterday as i was hoping that somewhere there was an electrical issue within our homes wiring as this would explain why so many TVS seem to have the same problem, but he ran a few tests and seemed to think everything was fine. The only advice he gave was to separate the cat cables from the power cables (everything is hard wired to router incuding Xbox one x & Nvidea shield) But to eliminate this problem in the past i have disconnnected all cables, hdmi devices and reset the TV with only the TVs power lead connected, with no improvement in picture, yet somehow, some way, intermittently these TVs for whatever reason will regain the beautiful image they are capable of displaying, but only for a short period of time. Absolutely doing my head in. I feel your pain if anyone else is going through this same problem. I have always wanted a high end TV to experience home theatre, and no matter what TV i buy or whatever changes i try, we run into the EXACT same problems time and time again...If ever i find a solution to this problem, i will be sure to post it.

ph123uk

Am I reading this correctly? You have had the exact same problem, on numerous Sony TVs...but also from different manufacturers?

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
Am I reading this correctly? You have had the exact same problem, on numerous Sony TVs...but also from different manufacturers?
Pannys & Sony Tvs, and its always a subtle change (and sometimes not so subtle) in the image quality in some way or form

ph123uk

Is this on all sources, I.e. internal applications as well as added devices such as BD player - are the HDMI in the walls as well?

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
Is this on all sources, I.e. internal applications as well as added devices such as BD player - are the HDMI in the walls as well?
It happens on all sources, Hdmi are not in the walls, only 3 hdmi cables connected at the moment 1x Aerc (LG home theatre) 1x Nvidea Shield, 1x Xbox one X (all the cat 6 cables are running under the house to router) The wires are however bunched together through a 30mm hole in the back of my cabinet.This includes cat 6, hdmi & power cables. Xbox one x & nvidea shield on one shelf, LG Home theatre on another. I know this sounds dodgy but i have disconnected all wires & hard reset the TV so only the TV is connected, and this did not return the deep contrast & colour, yet somehow magically the deep rich contrast & colour intermittently returns, but generally only for a very short period (ie the weekend just gone)

ph123uk

As i'm sure you will be aware, this is SUPER strange - its not even manufacturer limited, so we have to look at the common factors, given the same problem is happening on multiple different sets, from different manufacturers (its almost impossible)

Maybe somehow the TV is recieving a signal to drop colour space? thus making everything worse - like on a HTPC when you drop from 10 bit FULL to 8 Bit.

I'd be half tempted to when the TV regains its colours magically again to leave everything completely unplugged except the TV and the ethernet cable (so you can use internal apps) - see if over the course of a week the TV drops out again, if it doesnt, you know it is one of the devices - if it does...well....it appears you have gremlins.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Just a wild thought - you live in New Zealand. I have visited there many times and have loads of friends out there. One thing I do remember was that some have complained over the years about the quality of their mains electricity supply. I think you said on another thread that you had an electrician check things but how far did he go? Modern power supplies are very tolerant of voltage and frequency variations but do not tolerate departures from sinusoidal waveforms too well. Also additional interference on mains could upset the power supply in the TV. This may be intermittent and therefore account for the changes you observe.

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
Could also be content related & expectation bias.
I think we will all agree that the best way to test a TVs ability to display an impressive image is to return to its original source, ie internet streaming= Netflix, Hulu, Prime TV or 4k content on you tube, then return to the exact same content when the TV has a drop in image quality. This isnt hard to do as they all keep a history of viewing content. I also test the TV by playing content directly from an external hard drive (thus eliminating the router/internet streaming) connected to the Nvidea Shield which is connected to the TV via HDMI. When the TVS working correctly 4k content using this platform (using kodi as the media player) has an absolutely mind blowing clarity & colour depth of "Epic Proportions" especially on the current 85" Sony X900H. Avengers End game is one i play often via kodi/Hardrive/Nvidea Shield to test the colour performance.

Last edited:

Sonyx900h

Novice Member
As i'm sure you will be aware, this is SUPER strange - its not even manufacturer limited, so we have to look at the common factors, given the same problem is happening on multiple different sets, from different manufacturers (its almost impossible)

Maybe somehow the TV is recieving a signal to drop colour space? thus making everything worse - like on a HTPC when you drop from 10 bit FULL to 8 Bit.

I'd be half tempted to when the TV regains its colours magically again to leave everything completely unplugged except the TV and the ethernet cable (so you can use internal apps) - see if over the course of a week the TV drops out again, if it doesnt you know it is one of the devices - if it does...well....it appears you have gremlins.
Worth a shot, so will try it next time it happens. I brought a Brand new Nvidea Shield pro yesterday (waiting for delivery) so this will at least eliminate the current Nvidea Shield as the culprit, will update this thread if there is any improvement but certainly not holding onto any great expectations as the Xbox one X also has problems with Colour when the TVs colour/depth is off.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett