1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour patches Hitachi 37PD5200 Advice please!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steveatpipex, Aug 30, 2005.

1. steveatpipex

steveatpipex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get one of the last of the above screens, and went for it aftyer reading various comments on here about good picture quality but primarily because it looks right for she who must be obeyed (had to be silver, minimal frame, no speakers attached, and max size 37 in for the space).

At the moment I am watching it through a Freeview box (Scart connection) and have a DVD player attached. I have noticed fairly pronounced colour patches, particulalry on close up face shots, which are more pronounced when using the Freeview box than just the direct aerial feed. The picture on DVD (currently connected through S-Video until i get the composite leads sorted) is much better.

I am hoping that the patching is merely due to it not being set up properly rather than a problem with the set. I'd appreciate any comments or knowledge people would be good enough to share on setting it up properly to optimise picture quality.

Whilst here, I am intending to buy a Freeview Recorder - is the quality of picture consistent from make model to model or is it definately the case that some give better quality (as opposed to just more features) than others? The guy in Dixons told me that one digital box is the same as every other. :lease:

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Freeview is worse than an aerial, but DVD is ok????

I'd say you've answered your own question. :thumbsup:

Digital will normally be better than Aerial.

Your Freeview box is crap or the connection is, or the picture set up is.

Do you have decent quality Scarts and are the scart settings on the box and screen set to RGB, not composite (they should be)????

If you have a contrast option on the box settings, try that,too.

Not sure about freeview boxes, but would guess that some are better than others, same as everything.

Are the tele settings for DVD the same as the settings for freeview????

I THINK most teles retain different settings for every input; in other words, you can set up your DVD how you like, but you must set up Freeview seperately.

Not saying that will cure your problem, but things to look at ??? :thumbsup:

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Steve,

The PD5200 can look good but you have to get the inputs sorted.

The Freeview box must be outputting RGB and you must connect this via SCART, with good cables, to an input that supports RGB. If the DVD is looking heaps better than Freeview I suspect that the Freeview connection is currently composite - not good.

For the DVD output I assume it was a typo. Composite is the last thing you want, component is the answer.

I don't claim to be an expert with Freeview boxes but I think the NetGem is the one to go for. The guy in Dixons doesn't have a clue - as usual!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Piers, the current top of the tree for freeview recording is the Topfield 5800, RGB or component output, 160gig disc, 2 tuners. Netgems are excellent, but don't record. Dixons man can see no daylight from where he's put his head. Boxes vary hugely in quality of output, and of course their actual signal type has an influence on cost of connection. The netgem and Topfield with component video already are brilliant for home cinema installations with AV amp switching, sadly Dr. Sim may not think so!

5. Minayr

Minayr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same screen bought for pretty much the same reasons. I've found that the picture from SKY+ via RGB SCART (AV4) can be greatly improved by playing with the settings; the factory settings are far from optimum. If you take a look at the Hitachi Thread on this forum there are a number of suggested settings for the different inputs that I found to be good starting points for further tweaking. Having said that I've always found the performance of the screen with DVD with either component or HDMI to the DVI input way superior to SKY so don't expect too much.

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    MAW

Thanks for putting me right ;) I could have sworn that I saw a NetGem with a HDD at a client's yesterday but can't see any trace of one on the web.