Colour of wires in Ethernet Cable Cat5e

NewbyPC

Novice Member
I have routed a Cat6 cable from the Modem in the bedroom (next to Computer) through the loft and down to the Smart TV in the living room. The cable was supplied with RJ45 connections on each end but I had to cut one end off to route it through a tight space. I then crimped another connector and plugged it into the TV but it could not connect to the internet. The new connector mirrored the wiring in the connector at the other end i.e. white/orange, white/blue, white/green, white/brown.
My question is, is it necessary to use all 8 wires in the cable for this purpose? Is Cat6 the correct cable? Also, as I have no experience at connecting cable and RJ plugs other than a couple of practise attempts and although the individual wires look in the correct order and crimped ok, could it be that I simply haven't connected it correctly(?)

Any advice welcomed. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1845[1].JPG
    IMG_1845[1].JPG
    139 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1844[1].JPG
    IMG_1844[1].JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1843[1].JPG
    IMG_1843[1].JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1842[1].JPG
    IMG_1842[1].JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 39

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Borrow a CAT cable tester - that will quickly tell you if the connection is good.

Joe

John7

In your first pic, the brown (?) wire on the left does not appear to be in a connector. Also, you have stripped back too much insulation, the outer sleeve should be under the ridged part of the plug so that it is clamped when you push the wires in.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 31

oneman

Technical 100mb uses pins 1,2,3 and 6 but Cat5e should have all 8 wires connected.

If you can't borrow a LAN tester then they are a fiver on eBay. They will check basic connectivity, pin 1 is connected to pin1 etc. It won't check the electrical properties and if the cable will work at a specific speed.

NewbyPC

Novice Member
In your first pic, the brown (?) wire on the left does not appear to be in a connector. Also, you have stripped back too much insulation, the outer sleeve should be under the ridged part of the plug so that it is clamped when you push the wires in.
Thanks John7, I suspect that I've 'simply' made a very poor connection. I'll have it connected professionally and see if that fixes it.

NewbyPC

Novice Member
Technical 100mb uses pins 1,2,3 and 6 but Cat5e should have all 8 wires connected.

If you can't borrow a LAN tester then they are a fiver on eBay. They will check basic connectivity, pin 1 is connected to pin1 etc. It won't check the electrical properties and if the cable will work at a specific speed.
Thanks Oneman, it all points to a poor job on my part reconnecting. I'll get it done properly and report back to close this thread off.

oneman

Thanks Oneman, it all points to a poor job on my part reconnecting. I'll get it done properly and report back to close this thread off.
Problem is that it looks straightforward but you have to make sure the plug matches the cable.

After that its a question of practice. I've probably done thousands of connections and still make errors.

What is probably a lot easier is to use a wall plate especially if you are using stranded cable. This has faceplace, Cat6 module and crappy plastic punch down tool. You might want to budget a fiver for a better punch down tool.

Or for a tenner, this kit has LAN cable continuity tester, punch down tool and a few other bits,

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
The kit above has a proper punch down tool, you will get a more reliable connection.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom