Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

colour of walls to be used with lcd projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kbfern, Apr 30, 2003.

1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,971
    I shall be taking delivery of a Sanyo Z1 pj in next few days and am wondering what picture will look like with my walls currently painted magnolia( room size 14ft x 9ft)viewing screen from around 12ft.

I intend to get a screen (80" or 92" wide)after pj is delivered, just need to see what size image it will throw before buying a screen to fit.

My question is what about the colour of the walls,the room I will be using the pj in will not be exclusively used for home cinema.It will be used also as a study ,I dont want to paint all the walls and ceilings black or dark grey as it will be to dark for working in.

Will there be to much light reflected back off the screen and into the room making the image washed out.I don't mind re-painting the walls I just don't want to go very dark.

You guys out there with pj's who use them in dual purpose rooms,what coulour walls do you have?did you have light coloured walls like me and was the image contrast/brightness ok.

regards

Keith

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,522
    Maybe as a solution you could have floor to ceiling dark curtains fitted to the walls. They would pull back to the corners of the room when not watching a movie....

That was completely off the top of my head and so I've never tried it! :)

3. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    my cinema room is painted with a medium terra-cotta matt paint. Its a compromise between not being too dark and not refelcting too much light around the room.

As long as the colour isnt too bright and doesent have a sheen, you should be ok. Masking the area around the screen with a dark border or curtains will also help.

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    It also helps a lot to mask the ceiling in front of the screen. In my HT room, i attached some black material to the ceiling extending out about 4 feet from the screen and it made a noticeable difference

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I recently did a bit of construction work on my Home cinema room which involved the need to dry-line the walls. I was told that the best sheets to use are foil-back plasterboard (it's like tinfoil on the back of the plasterboard) When I saw these boards I thought that it might be a good idea to install them with the foil facing into the room to improve the brightness of the projector, so we did.

I must say that I would definately not recomend this course of action. Just as I turned on the projector for the first time the telephone rang (luckily for me) and I went to answer. While on the phone I heard the dog yelping in pain. I dropped the phone and ran to find the dog staggering out of the room bumping into things as he went.

The vet says that his blindness is probably temporary but he can't be sure. Also as a result of the light shining up the chimney two helicoplters tried to land in our front lawn. I had to borrow my brothers welding mask to go into the room to shut off the projector. My wife is very upset with me, as I'm sure you can well imagine.

As a rersult of my unfortunate experiment I think that a darkisk and non-reflective surface colour is probably best for a cinema room.

Conor

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Conor,

The Construction Studies equivalent of water-cooled PCs !!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

kbfern,

Yes, absolutely recommend dark wall surfaces for movie viewing. If you're limited by the tastes of the female equivalent of Lawrence LLwellyn Bowen living with you, you're probably stuffed;

Magnolia coloured walls all around will cause light to reflect back onto the screen. At the minimum, would recommend a negotiation on a darker wall colour, (terracotta already suggested is an option)and when you're re-painting use matt paint - it deffo helps reduce the reflections. (although it does show up marks etc more readily)

All the best,

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    conor - exactly the same thing happened to me when I did that, sorry that I forgot to mention it beforehand.....

At least my grass was cut though... :)

Gary.

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Gary, you really should have warned us you know, that is what this forum is supposed to be about :lesson:

However, you are right about the grass, it was a really nice job without all those lines I usually get using the lawn mower

But back to the subject at hand: our livingroom was a deep green and one day I came home to find my wife had painted
    it cream and it really did cause a disimprovement in black level

Did I complain...I think not (at least not while she was within 5 miles anyway). I just spent hours looking at my reflection in the foilback plasterboard trying to perfect saying "Yes dear, I thing it's lovely"

Conor