1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour nightscope and Extended warranty - are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Yatesy, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Yatesy

Yatesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am deciding between a JVC GRDVL160 and Panasonic NVDS29B as a basic entry digital cam for family/holiday stuff.
    Probably edging more towards the JVC because of their colour nightscope facility. Am I in dreamland - are these features worth bothering about for filming at night in low/no light?

Also, probably going to buy from www.empire. Not only are they amongst the cheapest but they also have a store near where I live. Any experiences?

Finally, should I spend an additional £100 or so, on a 3 year extended warranty?

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know the specific cameras but, in general, Panasonic tend to perform better at a given price point. A two year warrenty is supposed to be an EC requirement now. You might want to ask the supplier about this. Alternatively, pay for the purchase using Barclaycard and register for their free extra year warrenty. They will try to sell you a five year one but you don't have to take it. If you do, you'll probabaly find it's cheaper than the shop's 3 year one. I bought a washing machine recently and the BC extended warrenty was half the price of the shop.

As for the colour nightscope thing, ask yourself if you have a real use for it.

I would also do a search on this forum for other people's experiences with Empire.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Colour Nightscope is better than it's B & W forerunner, I wouldn't say it's that exciting but if you are filming Disneyworld fireworks, night parades or evening space shuttle launches it looks better.

DV camcorders are one of the few products for which an extended warranty is worthwhile. Repairs are very expensive, it's very easy to suffer a beyond economical write off after a short life.
    Do shop around, try a quote from Domestic and General instead of through a supplier. D & G are regarded as the best.

4. Yatesy

Yatesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info gringottsdirect.
    Who, what and where are D & G?
    Dubbing Mixer recommended making the purchase on a Barclaycard and gaining an additional years warranty for free.
    Would 2 years be adequate for a digital cam or am I still better splashing out an additional £100 to extend it to 5 years?

The Colour Nightscope will be used for filming the children at night - eg blowing out candles and all that stuff!
    As I am finding the JVC and Panasonic very similar for what I require, is this quality of this feature worth making it the deciding factor?
    Dubbing mixture reckons that pound for pound the Panasonic is always better than a JVC. Do you agree? Does this hold true even at the budget end (circa £400)?

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you expect it to last five years, I'd try for the warrenty. DV cameras are very delicate devices. The electronics are usually reliable, it's the mechanics which cause trouble and repairs are very expensive.

To be honest I doudt there is a huge difference in quality at this price point. I've just had better experiences with Panny than JVC.

Ultimately, they are the same company anyway.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I agree with DubbingMixer that there is not much to choose between them, especially at this price, I also slightly prefer Panasonic.
    The Colour Nightscope if everything else is equal is useful enough to sway me.