1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour misregister on Hi8 played on another unit ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Merlin, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have borrowed a Sony Hi8 5000 camcorder (the pro shoulder mounted one) to playback Hi8 tapes recorded on the next model down in the range at the time, the v900. I was surprised to see on playback something I dont remember on the originals played back to the same Tv at the time. The image struck us at the time as being of broadcast quality, yet now when I look, I see colour shifted off to the right from objects. Footballers socks with colour not in register, sitting off to right a little. This was a trait of vhs recordings I saw at the time as opposed to my C9 betamax.
    Is this to be expected now when using another playback machine ?...albeit a good qlty one., what can be done ?
    I am using gold connector S-video lead.

I tried XP, then SP then LP mode and as advised by Panasonic, the 500 line LP mode captures the quality without lowering it, good news as thats 4hrs per dvd.

Merlin

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check if TBC is switched on

3. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is TBC and if switched on, on which item ? :confused:
    Regards
    Merlin

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Timebase correction

5. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the gen, now there would be no control for tbc on the camcorder, and I am using a Panny DMR EH50 DVD/HDD combo and S-Video input.... or for PC capture a firewire input, with a Panny MX8 digital camcorder as the conversion process, with panny tech support suggested settings in menu (AV in/out on and something else I can't remember here)

What are the symptoms of tbc problems ?
    Merlin

6. Peter Brereton

Peter Brereton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    There was a modification for colour shift on this 1990 model, but it wouldn't be worth applying the mod or spending any money on repairs...it really is past it's best. Camcorders of this age suffer from "leaking" surface mount electrolytic capacitors, there are around 60 of these dotted around the circuit panels and a fair few inside the timebase correction module. All of these capacitors will need replacing. The picture problem you mention on your other post is probably due to a loose exit guide, this was very common on this mechanism but to adjust it would mean a fair bit of disassembly to access the guides, locks and test points.

Peter Brereton

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  8. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peter, thats worth knowing, wont bother to fix the thing. Will try to get a Hi8 player or cheap Hi8 secondhand camcorder from CashConverters or similar, where I can try it out.
    You also say
    >There was a modification for colour shift on this 1990 model, but it wouldn't be worth applying the mod

How does one apply this mod, where is it, a switch ?

Vanhosen, more to learn, this is never ending, thanks for the gen.

I now also wonder, though this is a vcr topic about to spout forth here :nono: ,...I am taking vhs and s-vhs footage via s-video and stereo audio onto my Panny EH50 dvd/hdd and using the hdd for initial recording in LP mode. Should I be using an external timebase corrector for this, images seem fine enough, or have the nice Panny peeps foreseen us users doing this and included an internal one. I set the JVC S-VHS vcr (a HR-S6800EK) to tape Dub mode, does that select the tbc ?

Furthermore I have Betamax to transfer, bought a Toshiba V31, now wonder if thats ok for tbc, if panny has tbc internal, then all is well ...?

Merlin

9. Peter Brereton

Peter Brereton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    No, it's not that simple. The mod involved replacing two filter assemblies and changing the value of a resistor. This had the effect of delaying the luminance part of the video signal by a few microseconds so that it registered correctly with the colour signal.

Peter Brereton