Colour inconsistency/blemishes - image retention or repair?

Iaindings

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently picked up an ex-display Panasonic TX-42ST30B, obviously it's last years model but only cost me a bargain £280 :) It was from PC World and they also threw in 2 months of the extended warranty for free - reason being is if it developed a fault, they'd obviously still be liable but would probably chose to offer a refund, with the extended warranty it could be repaired.

The panel's in great condition and the picture is so much better than by old LG LCD. After checking the service menu, it has about 19k hours on it, consistent with being running 8 hours a day for the last year.

After getting it home, I noticed 2 lines across the screen - after thinking it was interference I realised it was obviously image retention from the cinema aspect ratio movie they had running on it. This cleared up after a few weeks of normal use.

I'm now beginning to notice more blemishes/inconsistencies in the image, especially noticeable on panning pictures. Annoying, as this was exactly the problem with my old TV! I just put some colour slides on there and the reds and blues are near perfect, but the greens are quite patchy and there's what looks distinctly like a Samsung logo shaped dark blemish in the bottom right.

So, given the hours on the panel, is this likely to be common garden image retention that I can get rid of with some alternating colour slides, or should I give the extended warranty people a call and get it repaired/replaced?

Thanks all :)

Ex Display model , with 19 thousand hours , and that would be 19 thousand hours in the Dreaded "Shop Mode".

I doubt its fixable.

Does that mean it's "burn" rather than image retention then?

I've only had it a few weeks, sale of goods act should mean a refund wont be too much of an issue I wouldnt have thought. I got such a good deal on it though, if I can make use of the warranty to have it fixed/replaced then I'm definitely winning. The picture is generally lovely, it's quite a minor thing so the other option is to just live with it.

Looking at the terms of the extended warranty, the exclusions are

What is not included?
Regularly replaced items/consumable items.
Built-in batteries.
Cosmetic damage where it does not affect the operation or safety of the product.
Repair costs that have not been approved.
Damage or breakdown due to flood, wind or other severe weather conditions.
The cost of repairing or replacing a product which fails because anyone neglects, abuses or misuses the product.
Any service or benefit where the product support agreement has been suspended.
Inoperability of a product caused by withdrawal of services by a third party.
Theft or any loss suffered if you cannot use the product or any loss other than repair or replacement.
Any claim where your monthly payment has not been received.
Protection for dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, cooking and laundry products if used for business.

So nothing about burn there...

Just so you can see what I mean, green:

gG7yZ.jpg

By way of contrast, the red - much more even and consistent

QeUVp.jpg

Last edited:
Dark shadow as opposed to light ghost says burn to me, likely had all sorts at the bottom of the screen with the rot they display on them every day, as said, it was likely in Dynamic mode for a long time.

Ah well, saves me having to run the scrolling bar/slides for hours on end trying to get rid of it

I'll try the warranty, see if they'll repair it or give me an equivalent replacement. If they dont, I'll just take it back and get a refund... Shame, as it's a lot of bang for the buck!

Ah well, saves me having to run the scrolling bar/slides for hours on end trying to get rid of it

I'll try the warranty, see if they'll repair it or give me an equivalent replacement. If they dont, I'll just take it back and get a refund... Shame, as it's a lot of bang for the buck!

Yeah tempting at that price but knowing what I do Id never buy an ex display plasma.
A panel replacement would be the only fix for burn so they may just offer you a refund.

The extended warranty is repair or equivalent replacement - might end up with a brand new ST50 for £280 :). They supply a loan unit and say they'll fix it in 7 days replace it so not much to lose there really. If they cite image burn, it's not stated in the T&Cs in the warranty and I haven't owned the set long enough to burn it myself.

Ultimately, its just a day to day tv - I'm not wanting perfection, if I have to live with it I wouldn't be too bothered. Not sure if I'd rather have the £280 back and put it towards something new or just keep it as is, failing a repair/replacement........

Edit, just found the extended warranty paperwork and under the "what's not included" section, it says "Image retention on plasma, LED, LCD, 3D or rear projection screens". Also says "For previously owned products or where a discount has been given because a product is incomplete, non pristine or previously on display, if we cannot repair your product we will supply vouchers to the value of the purchase price paid, the 7 day replacement will not apply"

So it's kick up a fuss in store citing sale of goods act or live with it.

Last edited:
The extended warranty is repair or equivalent replacement - might end up with a brand new ST50 for £280 :). They supply a loan unit and say they'll fix it in 7 days replace it so not much to lose there really. If they cite image burn, it's not stated in the T&Cs in the warranty and I haven't owned the set long enough to burn it myself.

Ultimately, its just a day to day tv - I'm not wanting perfection, if I have to live with it I wouldn't be too bothered. Not sure if I'd rather have the £280 back and put it towards something new or just keep it as is, failing a repair/replacement........

Edit, just found the extended warranty paperwork and under the "what's not included" section, it says "Image retention on plasma, LED, LCD, 3D or rear projection screens". Also says "For previously owned products or where a discount has been given because a product is incomplete, non pristine or previously on display, if we cannot repair your product we will supply vouchers to the value of the purchase price paid, the 7 day replacement will not apply"

So it's kick up a fuss in store citing sale of goods act or live with it.

Yes basically you are entitled to a fix or your many back, Id go with a panel replacement as then you will have no issue and a cracking set for the money. It Izmir up to them though. Under SOGA you are entitled to a refund but not sure if they can get away with it being store vouchers, best have a read. Id personally not live with it.

Yes basically you are entitled to a fix or your many back, Id go with a panel replacement as then you will have no issue and a cracking set for the money. It Izmir up to them though. Under SOGA you are entitled to a refund but not sure if they can get away with it being store vouchers, best have a read. Id personally not live with it.

Think I should go down the repair route then, despite the paperwork saying it's not covered? Tempted to say I havent owned it long enough to cause that burn, so they should still have to repair it.

A replacement panel would be just fine with me, although would that not be very expensive and "beyond economical repair"?

Think I should go down the repair route then, despite the paperwork saying it's not covered? Tempted to say I havent owned it long enough to cause that burn, so they should still have to repair it.

A replacement panel would be just fine with me, although would that not be very expensive and "beyond economical repair"?

Yes very likely they're just offer vouchers. I can't bee 100% but it looks like burn and burn isn't IR, burn is uneven wear of the phosphors and as you say, that takes time and its highly likely to happen with a display product that's been running the same thing over and over whilst on shop mode.

If its burn the set is damaged and was likely damaged when sold so IMO you should have a repair or full refund. Like I say check the SOGA as Im not an expert in the area, just have experience with it.

whats it like on a grey slide.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom