Question Colour gamut setting for PS4 HDR

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by PaulPearson1975, Aug 13, 2018.

1. PaulPearson1975

PaulPearson1975
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When using HDR game mode on my 2017 OLED with the PS4, I've noticed that all three settings (wide, extended and auto) give a different picture. I would have thought that auto should detect the HDR input and set it internally to wide, so why does the picture change? Wide looks better to me, as colours seem nicely saturated, but I want to make sure which is the "correct" setting.

2. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Auto is the correct setting I believe. It was renamed from the 2016 models (where it was called normal) to make it easier to understand.

Wide will over saturate colours.

Extended sits in between.

Auto is the technically "correct" setting. Corresponding to normal on the 2016 sets.

3. ppearson1975

ppearson1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, thanks for this. I was aware that normal on the 2016 models had now become auto, which is a better name, but from what you say it sounds like "wide" doesn't actually correspond to the "wide colour gamut" concept commonly associated with HDR, and is actually "wider than WCG" since it's overly saturated. Still a misnomer if you ask me!

4. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Indeed. Auto will select the correct colour space for HDR/SDR. As I understand it wide doesn't actually increase the range of colours sampled at all....