1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour dropout DVD recording Sky.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Christat, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Christat

Christat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help please, I have recently had Sky digital installed on a Thomson DSI4212 set top box. I also have a Yamada 8000 DVD recorder (yes I know cheap & cheerful) but it does the job.

When recording or watching the Sky programs through the DVD recorder I get intermittent colour fades about 3 times every minute for about 5 seconds. This happens whether the DVD recorder is connected to the Sky box using either scart input or the RF aerial cable. Terrestrial RF through the DVD is fine but it just seems that the DVD recorder and Sky box have a problem communicating with each other. Otherwise all is OK, pre-recorded DVD works fine and Sky direct to the TV is no problem just putting the two of them together causes this annoying colour fade on any Sky channel.

Used to have cable TV and the same DVD recorder hooked up using RF cable and never got this problem.

Bottom line is that recording from Sky renders the program annoyingly unwatchable unless you are colourblind. I have spent hours swapping scarts, connections and upgrading my connectors but gained nothing. Anyone come across this problem before, Sky and Umax/Yamada blame each other, my kids blame me and I wished I had a dog to kick.

Thanks in advance.

2. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sounds like a Macrovision problem, if you route say a DVD player through VCR you would get such problems.
    Not familiar with this STB - probably best to purchase a pucker SKY digibox - Pace or Panasonic brand. :smashin:
    You will only get Macrovision on Box Office movies then.

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It could be interference or a faulty DVD recorder. What is the picture like when you have the DVD recorder in standby but still in line? Have you tried turning the RF off on the digibox and unplugging the RF cable?

I assume everything is set to RGB.

4. Christat

Christat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies, digibox is the one actually provided by Sky so I assumed it is fairly standard although it was only fitted a couple of weeks ago. Don't think it is the Macrovision because I can reproduce that by by connecting a VCR and that causes all sorts of problems where I rarely get a signal at all but I would expect that to be the "norm" when putting a VCR in the loop.

As to the RF suggestions and standby, removing RF cables doesn't change anything, in fact I only added the RF cables so at least I could get a decent recording of terrestrial programs because of the Sky problems. However I had not tried putting the DVD recorder in standby until now. The signal through the recorder is perfect, as good as the signal direct to the televison. Obviouly I cannot record from the Sky box in that state but I suppose it proves that the DVD is introducing the problem. Thanks again, looks like problem not solved but at least I know who to blame or where the problem lies.