1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour distortions with RDXS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Normandy16, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Normandy16

Normandy16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have recently noticed on playback, occasional strange colour distortions which are picture content related. There is a hue shift and desaturation when ever there is a bright background changing to a dark one - ie a skyline. Really only noticable on faces as you know what the colour should be.
    I think it is only on replay and not live pictures, but as the content has to be exactly right to reproduce the fault it's difficult to be sure.
    Also, it's hard to do tests unless I can get a reliable video source feed that will exhibit it.
    This is hard to describe so if anyone is interested/has any ideas, please take a look at ...
    http://uk.geocities.com/normandy16@btopenworld.com/Colour_errors.htm
    and you should see what I mean.

Any ideas anyone, as to what is causing this?
    Thanks

Tosh RDXS32 in SP mode
    Humax F2-FOX T digi terrestial STB
    Tosh ZP38 telly
    Everything via RGB SCART

2. jamba

jamba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a problem with my Tosh RDXS34 which almost similar to yours. See thisd thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227421&highlight=rdxs34.

Sent it for repair and they could not reproduce the fault in the workshop. The retailer has offered to exchange this machine. I think i will ditch the tosh and go for the Panasonic DMR-EH60D.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'd look at all the colour settings of your components first.
    I don't know what playback picture adjustments are available on Toshibas. Pioneers have some minor balance, saturation and white/black level controls. It may be worth checking this.
    Also are you using the the same colour system throughtout your system (RGB, s-video, composite) a mixture can cause inconsistency - e.g recording composite and playing back RGB.
    Is your TV correctly adjusted, esp. if you have an RGB feed? Some TVs have the facility to tweak RGB inputs. Also factory settings are usualy far too high on contrast and colour saturation.

4. Normandy16

Normandy16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its all RGB throughout, and I've been through as many tweaks as possible to see if there is any overload/limiting, all to no avail.
    Picture levels on playback are very similar to live viewing and as stated I cannot see the effect on live TV [so far] so I doubt its a level problem anyway.
    The key here is the transition within a frame of colour depending on background brightness, there is a sudden change from normal flesh tones to a desaturated, muddy green. I think the pics at http://uk.geocities.com/normandy16@btopenworld.com/Colour_errors.htm
    show this very well.
    It is possible this happens on live TV and it's not the DVR at all but as I say it's difficult to prove.
    Has anyone seen a similar effect?

5. blacksnow

blacksnow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm getting similar problems with my RDXS34 - I'm going to give Toshiba a call tomorrow I think - will re-post if they come up with anything new.