1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour corruption on Toshiba, 42WT29B

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MightySpork, Jun 9, 2003.

1. MightySpork

MightySpork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope someone can help me with this problem. Or at least let me know if it IS a problem.

I've recently taken delivery of a nice new Toshiba 42WT29B set. In the main I'm very happy with it, good picture, acceptable viewing angles etc and despite being significantly huger than my previous TV it doesn't totally dominate the living room like I feared it might.

However, whilst watching Yojimbo on Saturday and Young Master last night I noticed what seemed to be slightly yellow or 'mustard like' stains discolouring the picture in a band about 2 inches wide down the right side of the picture and about 3-4 inches (but less noticeable) down the left side. It's generally not obvious except when against a white or very light coloured background.

Unfortunately now I've noticed it it's bugging the hell out of me. I'm sure given time I'll cease to worry about it and I probably CAN live with it if necessary but I'd rather not.

Is this a fault with the TV or what? I don't have any speakers near the TV except the (presumably) shielded sony Home theater speakers that I've used with my previous TV for about 4 years without difficulty.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 50hz/Nicam version of yours (42PW23P) There is a slight pink patch on the far right, but not yellow/mustard bars on either side.

Only noticeable on b/w films, I can't spot in when watching colour DVD's

Does your problem only show up in b/w films?

Your problem could be lenses/mirrors are dirty or faulty CRT's (just guessing here)

3. MightySpork

MightySpork

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's more of a discolouration than a straight 'bar'. You can only really see it in black and white films and very light backgrounds (pure white or thereabouts). Even then it just infuses it with a slight 'sepia' look.

How would I go about cleaning lenses if it's that?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To clean the mirror- remove the four screws behind the speaker grille.

Get a helper with the next part- remove the screws above the front panel, and the five around the screen (back) Remove screen, place the grille in front of the TV (so to protect the tubes whilst working on the upper half)

Use a torch at a angle to spot any smudges on the screen. Switch the TV on, quickly look into each lens and see if any dirt is between the lens and CRT's.

Use a clean very very soft, lint-free, non abrasive cloth, NO SOLVENTS!!! lightly wipe where the smudges are on the mirror (if any)

Use a air can for the lenses, don't clean then unless you really have to. (plastic lenses, so scratch easily)

It could also be the grey level is out....

Course all the above will void warranty, and if you are not a techie then I'll say leave well alone.

If I was to guess the problem I would say CRT colour purity problems.. or greyscale level....anyone agree with this?