colour banding on the sony vplvw11ht!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Spaniard, Jul 18, 2002.

1. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi guys, my new sony has a nasty green strip on the left hand side about a foot in from the edge of the screen. The stripe is about a foot wide and I noticed it last night when i was trying to tweak the settings. It is noticeable at the beginning of MI2 on the landscape screen, just before the camera zooms in onto our tom scaling the cliff! I cant see it on any other scenes but every time I go back to the beginning it is still there. Its not the film, I have tried it on two other dvd players. from looking at the big picture site and the avforum in yankland it appears that it is what they call colour banding and if not common, is a known probleem. Anyone any ideas other than return the projector? It seems to be the same problem that Richie B reported the other day.

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get no luck here then try over at this Sony forum which is dedicated to your projector.

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID27&conf=DCConfID1

To be honest it sounds like the 3D Gamma needs setting up properly on your projector but it could be a number of things. I think you should contact Sony and see what they say. I have probably the cheapest Sony projector they sell and I dont get banding or nasty colour strips over the projected image and you should'nt either for four times the price of mine. Especially as your projector is geared towards home theatre and mine isn't.

Good luck, and let us know if you get a fix for it.

James

3. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Spaniard,
    Are you saying that when you use a different DVD player, still connected to the 11HT via your ISCAN, that you still have the colour band? If you haven't tried the other players feeding the PJ, then try that first. I have had experieince calibrating 3 different 11HTs and have not come across this before. Try to isolate the source of the problem. i.e. Is it the DVD player, the ISCAN, or the PJ itself?
    Cheers,

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    Read the faq and go in to the factory servcie menu where 3d gamma is. You'll be able to go through a series of grey fields generated by the projector. They go from dark to very BRIGHT. Do not adjust anything just cycle through the fields and see if the green stripe is present on any of them. This will tell you whether it's a uniformity issue. If it's obvious at one or two levels then get it sent back to dealer or Sony for re-calibration or replacement.

Gordon