Colour banding and blockyness?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by scotthillier, Apr 25, 2007.

1. scotthillier

scotthillier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi guys

Am hoping someone might have an answer to my question.

I'm running an NEC 50XM4 which I'm assure isnt a cheap screen, but am getting less-than-fantastic results from it.

I get quite a lot of colour banding. Ie if something goes from one shade of blue to another, you can actually see the various bands of blue, in stripes, rather than them all blending together into a nice shade.
    And, the picture is often blocky, very blocky around text.

I'm running an upscaled Freeview picture, through an HDMI - DVI lead into it from a Sony RDR HXD910 DVD/Freeview player in 1080i mode.

Is there anything I could possibly be doing wrong, or any settings I should perhaps be checking?
    All a bit new to this, so apologies if its a daft question.

could it be a cheap video lead causing all that maybe?

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Thanks y'all!

2. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    It's not the lead. Banding can be low bandwidth freeview or it can be the screen's capabilities or setup. What happens if you use SD to the screen? Is the Sony supposed to be any good at upscaling?

And what happens if you use 720p, not sure 1080i is buying you much there.

3. s1m0n

s1m0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I'm guessing choddo is suggesting you try SD DVD....which is what I was going to suggest...A DVD should be a good quality source, without any banding in it to begin with...so if you see colour banding it's likely to be the screen electronics adding it...

...play a DVD with a big single colour gradation in a shot...like a wide blue sky...and see if you can see the banding across the darker to lighter areas...

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I agree, I had the 42" version of this screen, and although I only had it for a week it did not have a problem with blockiness, that sounds like the freeview box.
    You are scaling twice, once in the box and then again in the screen. I would try ouputting at 576i or even 576p and see what that happens.

5. scotthillier

scotthillier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cheers guys, I will give that a try tonight.

I definitely saw the blockyness and banding on standard freeview, hence why I went for the upscaling Sony, on the hope it might help.

will try out a DVD tonight and see what happens.

Should I try the DVD upscaled or not ?

Also, when I tell the Sony to output at 780p the screen still reports the input as 1920x1080 or whatever that resolution is, the same as when its set to 1080i output. Is that right?