1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour and frequency/refresh rate

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JohnAd, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Roland has put in my BD 708 and I'm now making my first tentative steps to setting it all up and playing with all the various options.

Overall I'm very pretty happy so far, but have a lot of work to do before I'll be able to use it properly mainly because there is no furniture or carpets in the room at the moment.

One thing that I noticed while mucking about yesterday is that when I compared the output of a VCR running directly into the pj via composite to the output of Dscaler running at 1440x576 @ 100Hz I just couldn't get the colours looking anything like the interlaced ones. The interlaced ones looked "real" but the high-res ones looked very flat and no amount of tweeking with the various colour controls seemed to help. I also had a monitor connected and things were much better on that.

A good example of this was that someone was wearing a dark blue sweatshirt which looked blue on interlaced but was grey at all saturation levels on the HCPC

Has anybody got any ideas? Or is this something that will be fixed in the second phase of the install and so I should stop worrying?

John

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi
    The second part of the install fixes many picture problems. In fact it near totally changes the quality of the image.

I'm not sure if your model allows the same kind of gamma adjustments as my 808s, but after Roland had finished setting them the picture glowed!.

I have set my DVD player to go direct via Svideo, and via Component through my Quadscan Elite running in tripling mode. Well the colours via the QSE are much more stunning, partly due to the lack of scan lines.

The only down side i see in running with higher scaled images is a slight softening effect, or i should say a less artificial sharpening effect cause by low resolution plus scan lines!.

I did have a problem with the focus not being as sharp i i would like, but after taking the time and trouble to tweak it to the max, i can assure you sharpness is no longer a problem. :D

Have a play in the mean time, safe in the knowledge that the picture you have a the moment is the worse "pre second visit" quality you will ever have!.

I'm now ready to invest in a better screen to get the most out of my 808s, but i'm going through a lack of enthusiasm at the moment so it will have to wait. :(

BUT! i'm seriously considering a 1209s!.
    MY GOD IT NEVER STOPS!!!!!!:p

3. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Paul

Cheers for the reassurance. I think you are probably right and I should just wait, I just thought it was odd that the colour balance seemed to be related to the refresh rate.

John

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    John,

I am not familier with the 708 chassis but there are several projectors and other display devices which store greyscale settings per input frequency. This may be the reason you are seeing this anomoly.....I wouldn't get too worried as you do have the UK's leading authority on s/h Barco's doing your installation....

Oh....expect more calls re Dscaler...I tried the auto calibration with an AVIA feed to Svideo input from an Arcam DV88 and it didn't look very clever to me....

Gordon

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Oh the pressure!

All of the digitally controlled projectors I have had to deal with so far store
    colour balance information
    along with brightness, contrast etc
    Geometry
    convergence
    and in the case of the big boys - focus too.
    In a seperate block for each input and frequency.

I'm pretty convined that once the final calibration is done on your projector the colours will be representative.

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Roland

:blush: ooops, didn't mean to put the pressure on.

I've been playing around a bit more and I've improved the situation to my untrained eyes, I was just wondering out loud really :devil: ( I should stop doing that).

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.