1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

colorfacts sensor

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by patco, Jun 28, 2005.

1. patco

patco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am currently using an older version (december 2002) of colorfacts with a Pantone Colovision sensor. There are new sensors which, I heard, are capable of measuring the image directly on the screen surface (in a front projection system). The benefit of course is to include the screen performance in the system.
    Does anyone knows how I can upgrade this with a new sensor (which of the :confused: 2 milori sensors to buy, any software upgrade?)

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Drop Milori an email. You should be able to buy a Gretag Eye-One beamer from them along with a licence file or do an on-line registration for it (the new Trichromat is faster than the original sensor but I'm not sure how accurate it is for taking readings from the screen). Either way you should be OK since you already have Colorfacts and if you have any problems they will help you get them sorted. Do you have the latest software? I think you have to play to upgrade from V3 but later versions are done for free via the upgrade option within CF.

They may still be in the throws of moving offices since they were taken over so replies to emails may be a bit slow, so give them a few days to reply.

Gary.

3. patco

patco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Gary
    I did send them an E.mail, but I obtained no reply. Now I understand why. Still, it was on the 23rd, 6 days ago...
    I will try again

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Keep trying. I had a few goes before I got a reply from Cindy.

The Gretag is good for taking readings from the screen, but I haven't tried the Trichromat like that yet (it might be OK as it is more senstative than their original sensor). I believe the eye-one beamer is the more accurate sensor.

Gary.

5. patco

patco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will keep on trying

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    patco

Were soon to stock/resell the NEW Datacolor SpyderTV products - not quite up to what your about but a pretty good option for entry level DIY'ers.

We now have access to all of the Datacolor products (including GretagMacbeth) - if your stuck drop me a note and I'll see what we can do; I'm not sure how the UK pricing looks (SRP £833.00 for the Eye-one beamer).

Best regards

Joe

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The licence is for the software not the hardware. Just go to your local gretag suppler and buy it from them. I spoke with datacolor two days ago about this and they are not keen on support for the hardware, only the software, so go buy it from the distributor direct.

datacolor own Milori in case you wonder why I'm talking about them

Gordon

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Hi Gordon,

Don't you have to get a new licence file from Milori to allow any new hardware to work with the software? I was under the impression you couldn't just buy some hardware and it would work with Colorfacts until you got either a USB dongle or a license file from Milori, or can it be activated via their on-line activation process?

They sent me a new licence file when I got the new sensor so I assumed that's what it's for.

Gary.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The licence is for different computers I thought. Datacolor were at CEDIA and they didn't say anything to me about buying new licence when I asked about how much it was for a new secondary back up tri-stimulus probe.

G

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Thanks Gordon,

You could well be right about the computer dependant aspect, as it's only meant to work on one PC at a time IIRC. I'll have to try it on my desktop and see if the licence file allows the hardware to work there or not. My original CF100 was all on CD so I could install it on any PC but it was hardware dependant - the sensor had a unique ID so the sensor would only work with my software which had the ID encoded into it.

Gary.