Question Colored Band Appearing Across Projector Image

A4K

Standard Member
I have a Optoma HD25 projector and the lamp usage is 3,280 hours. It was fine but suddenly there is a multi-color diagonal band across the bottom of the projected image as shown in this test screen:

IMG_1104.JPG

Close-up top half:
IMG_1102.JPG

Close-up bottom half:

IMG_1103.JPG

I cleaned the lens and can confirm there is no dirt or hair on the lens. Does anyone know of this problem and can advise what could the cause be?

Thank you.

DB9S

I have a Optoma HD25 projector and the lamp usage is 3,280 hours. It was fine but suddenly there is a multi-color diagonal band across the bottom of the projected image as shown in this test screen:

View attachment 1396942

Close-up top half:
View attachment 1396943

Close-up bottom half:

View attachment 1396944

I cleaned the lens and can confirm there is no dirt or hair on the lens. Does anyone know of this problem and can advise what could the cause be?

Thank you.
Looks like, somehow, you have got a hair inside your projector and onto one of the panels somewhere.
It might require a careful disassembly to remove it.
Either that, or one of the panels is cracked or leaking. Or both.

A4K

Standard Member
Looks like, somehow, you have got a hair inside your projector and onto one of the panels somewhere.
It might require a careful disassembly to remove it.
Either that, or one of the panels is cracked or leaking. Or both.
Thanks for the reply. I wonder though how would a hair have gotten inside. Besides, the projector is ceiling mounted. Also what could be leaking.

The band appears to waver like a thread or hair though. But it doesn't make sense because the band is not grey but actually of several light colors.

Damp Squid

Agree, looks like a hair or some sort of fibre. The colours are caused by light diffraction.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Try turning the focus ring fully in both directions and you may find the object will come into sharp focus enabling you to see what it is.

panman40

Distinguished Member
I once had an Optoma HD50 which had a hair inside that looked just like you pictures, that was brand new out of the box so was returned. I’ve never taken one apart so can’t help there.

A4K

Standard Member
I turned on the projector's bright setting to boost the fan speed and the strip spreads out into thinner strands but seems to be stuck at the frame edge. It seems like some kind of little fibre close to the DMD chip.

I think I would have to send the projector in for servicing as there is also a triangular brown strip at the top left corner for a while already. I'm just hoping to avoid it as it is quite a hassle to re-align the projector perfectly.

Thank you all for your help.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

DB9S

I turned on the projector's bright setting to boost the fan speed and the strip spreads out into thinner strands but seems to be stuck at the frame edge. It seems like some kind of little fibre close to the DMD chip.

I think I would have to send the projector in for servicing as there is also a triangular brown strip at the top left corner for a while already. I'm just hoping to avoid it as it is quite a hassle to re-align the projector perfectly.

Thank you all for your help.

View attachment 1397122

View attachment 1397123
Looks like the extra fan speed is blowing the fibre/hair(s) around more. Needs a little disassembly to fix I fear.

A4K

Standard Member
Looks like the extra fan speed is blowing the fibre/hair(s) around more. Needs a little disassembly to fix I fear.
Yes, I fear the same too. When I dismantle it for servicing, I will see first whether I can get rid of the fibre by just removing the bulb to blow it off. If it doesn't work, I will just bring to Optoma for cleaning.

A4K

Standard Member
I've contacted Optoma with the photos and they suspect faulty Engine Module and Rod Module causing both the brown patch and the stripe and they need to be replaced. It is bewildering as I have no idea what these are and how the problems are caused, especially when the stripe shifted after increasing the fan speed.

Does anyone have problems before with the Engine Module or Rod Module?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If indeed that is what Optoma say I think it will be beyond economical repair (£250/300+) so I would be looking at a replacement rather than a repair.

A4K

Standard Member
If indeed that is what Optoma say I think it will be beyond economical repair (£250/300+) so I would be looking at a replacement rather than a repair.
It will cost £192 and the service cost is more than half of it. But they are only indicated as suspected problems subject to diagnosis.

I hope to find the experience of other Optoma owners with similar problems to confirm. From what I could research so far, a few Epson owners had the brown patch at the corner problem and it was due to some mirror panel getting unstuck and edging into the light path. As for the band/stripe, it seems to move about very much like a fibre or thread.

So I am still not sure how I should proceed. The projector lamp still have 2,700 hours to go. (I wonder why Optoma is suggesting replacing it also.) It's now about 10-20% dimmer than what I would prefer but I would rather have it at the current level of brightness than the eye-hurting brightness when new. I watch movies in a dark room.

Also I'm planning to upgrade to 4K projector down the road (not at this moment as I do not have the budget) so would want to minimise any replacement of parts.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom