Color Out of Space Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the Review Cas.
Love H.P. Lovecraft, so will have to check this out.

I was gripped throughout...but its very unsettling, I’m not easily shocked but one sequence in particular had me feeling a bit ill.
Good film though

@bootyman81 Which scene was that? Was it the
fingers scene?

I liked it. OTT, weird, psychedelic horror! Definitely felt like a companion piece to Mandy so it makes sense that some of the same people were involved in making both films.

It is a very solid genre movie,just dont expect something on a par with The Thing or Annihilation.We have got two Lovecraftian movies(guess which is the other?) at the same time,but the stories are too derivative now.

The score and the atmosphere are very well done.The UHD blu-ray lacks HDR.

Sonic the Hedgehog, yeah?
An other-dimensional being causing havoc in small-town America?
Gotta be Lovecraft inspired.
He-he,three then.I will just say that it stars Kristen Stewart.

Does anyone know if this is getting a UK release on UHD/4K Blu-ray? I can only find listings for regular Blu-ray on UK retailer websites.

Watched this last night, I did like it, definitely my type of thing, but it didn't do enough to hit home. Visuals were a bit derivative after Annihilation did something similar. The effect work was solid but the gory bits felt somehow restrained. It just needed that one scene or shot to really make an impact, but I never got it.

The good part is the effective and very unsettling atmosphere, but I just felt there was something 'off' about the pacing - the back story with the local mayor and the new dam just didn't add anything and could have been removed. Performances were good enough, the daughter in particular was really good, but Cage was pretty wooden until later in the film when gets to do his freak out thing. I wouldn't describe this as any kind of return to form for him, but he didn't hurt the movie either.

A decent rental, or wait for it to show up on Netflix but I don't think I will feel the need to watch it again. Can't quite decide if a 6 or 7, so I will say 6.5/10.

Crazy film and one that I need to watch again in 4K due to the colors on show.
Cage in Mandy I thought was far superior but this is not a bad film, if you stick with it.....

Give it a 7/10 because I loved the creature up in the attic :)

@bootyman81 Which scene was that? Was it the
fingers scene?

I liked it. OTT, weird, psychedelic horror! Definitely felt like a companion piece to Mandy so it makes sense that some of the same people were involved in making both films.
That was nasty but the worst bit for me was
merging of mum and son
urgh that was gross

Watched this last night, I enjoyed it, a good 7/10 film. Crazy film and suited Cage perfectly.

The HMV 1st Ed looks quite nice.
A little copy of the book in there for fun, too.

Might go for it.
I'm a sucker for tat like this.

I'd seen this in a marketing email from HMV and it's exactly why I was asking if anyone knew anything about a UHD release.

I'm the same, total sucker for a lovely presented box or steelbook. Then I noticed it was only available as a standard Blu-ray. One quick Google later and I didn't know what to do as every other major market around the world seems to have a 4K release and the film was shot in full 4K (without HDR, as others have mentioned). If it was an upscale I'd not let it stop me, but when it was shot at 4K I'd much rather own it in its native resolution.

Been trying to turn the "Ooh, shiny!" magpie part of my brain off ever since...

I saw this at The Prince Charles Cinema on Saturday evening and I suspect seeing it with a large crowd is way to go, as my audience erupted into fits of laughter whenever Cage did or said anything.

Personally, I liked the film a lot, especially after Mandy (which I really didn't like at all), but I have a feeling a lot of my goodwill towards it relates to my audience experience.

Just watched it on prime.
Solid Lovecraftian movie worth an 8/10 for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom