Collections Agencies Powers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Westindieman, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I have a contract with the mobile phone company Orange since January last year and they changed their terms and conditions in April last year to the financial dissadvantage of users of certain international numbers. They allowed some people to cancel their contracts but some they wouldnt and they have indicated this was decided on how much it those numbers was used. Since I principally took out the contract for those benefits I protested and requested to cancel, but to no avail. I wrote to them saying I will use the services no longer or pay for it and I was prepared to go to court over it, that was back in June. They have been chasing me since then and have instructed a collections agency who I have wrote to again refusing to settle the bills they have sent since. I have received a letter this morning threatening a house visit (I think i know what that means) if I havent settled in 7 days.
    Can they do this without the matter going to court?

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,532
    Whatever happens don't let anyone in your house under any circumstances and make sure windows are closed! Even refuse "may I use your phone for a minute, my mobile is on the blink and I want to call the office?". Beware!

3. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    to be honest i think you made a mistake in stopping paying , i agree however that you should have been allowed to cancel as the terms had changed substantially and to your detriment , as above , beware as they will try anything to gain access , one other thing , are mobile companies regulated by ofcom , maybe worth checking that out :)

4. johnny70

johnny70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    They have no legal right of entry.Full stop, unless they are a court appointed baliff which I doubt seeing as you haven't been to court yet, dont let them in whatever they say!! get them off your property call the police if you have too

JOHNNY

5. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Thanks, thats what I thought so I was surprised at this letter.

6. johnny70

johnny70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    letters are usually used to scare people, not that they won't come but highly unlikely:)

JOHNNY

7. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
  8. Westindieman

Westindieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Thanks new era, those links were helpful.

9. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    No problem. :smashin:

10. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    the letter threatening the house visit,is really so you contact them.
    we got something similar,posted through our door for the woman next to us,which said,that there rep,called on that day,for the house visit,but never received an answer,could she please contact them.
    it struck me as strange,as i never heard the door,so on closer inspection,i noticed that it actually was a postcard,cleverly worked,and filled in to look like a note posted through the door,but the postmark gave it away.
    handed it to the woman,and guess who it was from,yep,a debt collection agency from a certain mobile phone company.

11. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    If they changed the product that they were offering from (a) to (b) during your one years contract, you are not obliged to pay.

I signed up with Pipex when it was all you can eat broadband (for that reason), they then imposed their fair usage policy halfway through my term, thus delivering a different product to the one which I agreed to pay for.

I told them I would no longer pay and switched providers (luckily I have 2 phone lines). I had a similar letter, saying they would send in the collection agents.

I stated that I only purchased the product on the basis of what their sales staff told me, them changing their product means the original item was not fit for the purpose it was sold for.

They still said no, you have to pay, I started small claims proceedings and 6 days later they cancelled the balance (what a suprise).

Don't let them strong arm you.

12. steptoe

steptoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    you should have contacted the managing director in the first instance and then followed up any subsequent letters with the reply it was in the managing directors hands awaiting reply i had the same sort of thing with t-mobile it took 18 months but all charges were dropped and the contract ended . if i got a letter or phone call i just told them i was awaiting a reply from the md i never did get that answer after about 10 letters. i think he got fed up being disturbed at the golf course:D

13. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,514
    Jeepers, those websites are scary!!!:eek:

14. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,656
    The collections agency have no powers whatsoever. Only a count appointed bailiff does, and the court won't appoint anybody until you go to court, lose, and then fail to pay up.

If you are concerned about a home visit, I believe you can instruct them that you wish all correspondence to be via letter, with no phone calls or home visits.

If they do show up, you have no obligation to speak to them or to let them in.