1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Collection only - what's that all about?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jof006, Aug 25, 2005.

1. jof006

jof006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying the Denon AVR-2106 but when I search for a nice low price on the web, it seems that :

What is all that about? :mad:
    It seems very anti-competitive.

Since there is a dearth of good hifi retailers nearby, how am I supposed to buy one?

2. Maxheadroom

Maxheadroom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Join the club. I live in the isle of man and there isn't a Denon agent over here either. avland offered to send someone over on the boat to sell me a Denon amp in person if I was willing to pay the boat fair. A costly way of getting it here but pretty impressive in terms of customer service.

Drop them an email, depending on where you live that might be an option worth considering.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    I think Denon are trying to support their approved dealers who must be finding it tough at the moment.

However, apart from being inconvenient for the modern consumer, it must be competitive suicide.
    A hell of lot of people buy thier AV gear on line now, so if they can't buy Denon online, they'll buy another brand (Pioneer, Yamaha etc?) they can.

I'm in 2 minds about this. I think its important that genuinely good dealers get the support from the manufacturers, but not sure this is the right way to go about it..... after all, ultimately the most important person in the chain is the comsumer.

4. monkeyspank

monkeyspank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One of the reasons I just bought an AVR2105. I guess they are still allowed to ship the older models. That, and it was only £300 delivered from superfi.

5. lewi

lewi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure if its an issue with Denon or with some retailers trying to overcome web based fraud. I've cetainly seen retailers of high priced products from other company's insisting on personal collection.

Perhaps someone could clarify the situation?

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    You can buy similar priced alternatives from the other manufacters at the same online store, so I think its a Denon thing. Marantz already appears to have taken a similar stance, and of course Denon & Marantz have recently merged under D&M Holdings unbrella.

7. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Isn't it the same with the Yamaha pre-eminent range.. you can't get those delivered either you have to go an pick it up and have a demo.. anyways I agree it is competitive suicide as I was originaly going to buy a Yammy 4600 but as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of picking it up I ordered and had delivered a pio AX5Ai instead.. :suicide:

8. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Same deal with KEF speakers from what I can see. I imagine if you are a decent AV retailer with demo facilities and expertise it must be very annoying to see people audition kit in your store then order it somewhere cheaper online with no overheads and no stock.
    BUT
    In my 5 year experience of trying to get demos and advice I've failed utterly to hear what I want to hear or get decent advice. Even when I was a complete newbie I was given advice that I knew was totally wrong e.g. "If you connect the DVD player to the amp with this £20 digital co-ax lead the picture will be better". I was also unable to get dealers to audition 'low end kit' like a £250 DVD player and £300 amp together. Even though I live in London and work in the West End I order my gear online and trust professional reviews and informative forums like this one to work out what to buy.

If Denon had introduced this policy a month or so back I'd be listening to a Yamaha amp now. If I'd been able to order KEF eggs then I might not be waiting for a delivery of Canton speakers. It's their loss in the end.