Collecting piles of DVDs - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by RMCF, Feb 22, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I think that this will be met with many an argument here, but personally I feel that the collecting of vast quantities of DVDs is a bit of a waste of time. When I first got a DVD player I would buy the odd one, basically some of my favourites. The rest I rented. Over the years I have really only built up a collection of 30 or so. My only recent buys over the last few years are the likes of Star Wars trilogy, LOTR trilogy, Band of Brothers, Frasier series, etc. Basically ones that I like to own. But I really lost interest in collecting DVDs for the sake of it (sometimes I am tempted by the odd Net bargain though). I feel there is no point in buying a DVD that I would rarely watch - if I am in the mood to see it I can just rent it. At the end of the day if its not one of my favourites then I will probably only fancy watching it every 4 or 5 years anyway (in fact if its not one of my favs then it probably will only enter my head if it appears on TV anyway - then I'll watch it). I'm not saying that its wrong to collect hundreds of DVDs if thats what you want to spend your money on. But there seems to be the odd person around that boasts about how many they have and that they have 'such and such' a version of a film. The companies make loads of money off a lot of people like this. I mean there is some films that have had about 10 versions out. These always get people upgrading.

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Ill give you my copy of Fast And Furious to add to your collection. Since you like it so much! :smashin:

But seriously. I also feel a little angry at spending money to build a collection that will become worthless once a newer formats gets all the films I have re-released in better quality.

After that, im sure the next format will do the same.

You can never really win here. Just buy stuff you like and keep it for yourself. Never mind what the value may be 10 years from now.

One mans treasure is another mans trash!

3. dave1de

dave1de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I dont tend to buy normal DVDs, only boxsets, SE and stuff.

I mean I do have a few normal DVDs but these are only films are really like, otherwise I rent them.

I do have a few nice DVD collectables like jap stuff that I am proud to be owning lol :-D

4. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, for me it's one of the main ways to discover a film for the first time. I'd say out of the 170 odd dvds in my collection about 110 of them where films i'd never seen before. The rest are TV show boxsets and my personal favs I already owned on video.

Because I don't have a tv in my bedroom (projector hooked up to x-box, ps2, gamecube and dvd player), and what tv I do watch is mostly football (not much worth else worth watching), I have to buy most films that were released before I was born (22 years young) or was to young to watch. You could argue I should rent dvds but that's another £10-15 a month plus i've already spend that on watching new movies (UGC cinema pass). I'd rather whack 'em on my wanted list, wait until there real cheap then add to the collection.

I'd also like to point out that most of my favourite films of all time have been "blind buys" of old films I maybe would never have seen. Some folks buy CDs, some go clubbing 4 nights a week, some buy dvds. Plus I like having them for reference.

5. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    SOK, I have DVDs in my collection that still have the shrink wrap on them. Never got around to watchin them. As someone mentioned some people go clubbing all weekend etc.etc. so its horses for courses or what ever floats your boat.

Theres been many posts on Collecting piles of DVDs - is it worth it? on various forums and indeed from family members, but theres not too many people shouting about people who dont collect DVDs, stamps etc.etc. Its nice to have a hobby, granted for some on here (myself included) its an addiction

6. BigEvilJimmy

BigEvilJimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    it depends what you like i've got a few mates who spend all there cash on parts for there cars ie alloys, bodykits etc me personally don't see the point of that as they will get no return for there efforts but hey its your own mony so you are free to spend on what you like. for me its dvds, cds and games :thumbsup:

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    I only buy DVD's. There is no point do things like going to the pub and wasting a lot of money on alcohol. I rather get a DVD and have something tangible.

I have 850 DVD's and they have all been watched several times over six years. I get a lot of pleasure from them. I have been renting more recently though when they first come out. If there are any DVD's I like. I wait until the sales rather than paying full price for them I will now only pay £30 max for a boxset (no more £55 Star Trek sets).

Just because a new format comes out, it doesn't mean the DVD version becomes worthless. If I got into HD DVD or Bue Ray, I would only buy new films that make use of the format. I can't see a series like Friends be better in HDVD/BR. Plus, it will require a new display device to make them play. Average Joe won't be bothered.

I will still be playing my DVD's for a long, long time.

8. cbiddle

cbiddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    personally I think that it is fun to collect dvds, I mean there are worser things that you can spend your well earned money on (drink, drugs etc).

also i find it great to scour markets or car boots just looking for bargain dvds, for example 2 weeks ago I went to a car boot sale and someone was selling about 20 dvds on one stall, I bought 16 off him for £40 and in the 16 i got some decent dvds like evil dead book of the dead and robocop trilogy.

its a hobby and i enjoy it :thumbsup:

9. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Renting is fine as long as you can find something that you're in the mood for which can be a pain in the backside walking back and forth up the aisles. Hoping to find the right film, then finding the film you take home turns out to be scratched / smudgy underside which doesn't play correctly, even if you bother to clean it.

I'd rather have a decent size collection then watch what you want when you want to, if it's only once every few years that's fine, or if you're in the mood to watch several times a year thats great too. Over the years each veiwing gathers value to your purchase

If you find you have rented the wrong DVD then you're stuck with it but with a collection you can replace the disc with something else.

Personally I couldn't care less about next format because for starters I can't afford it and realistically H D DVD/blu ray might not even be the next format to catch on. They could both turn out to be the next laser disc! I enjoy my DVDs and I can continue to for many, many years to come... I can gain even more pleasure in the years to come by upgrading my equipment aswell. Collecting is the way to go for me.

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    theres nothing i can add to this debate except to say that its a strange adddiction - it started out as a pastime which turned into a hobby and them morphed in a solid gold addiction! i cant into my house there are so many dvd's (ok so thats a slight exaggeration) but there are still loads. i buy about 3 a week - i even work part time to get discounts and free rentals (nice mint condition ones :D )

i love film - have done for the last 15 years or so - DVD was the format i was waiting for - i never cared for VHS - old clunky and crap.

DVD coupled with the WWW has widened my horizons i've seen stuff i would never have seen without it (dont watch much "telly") US TV Shows i'd never have watched (Boomtown, CSI, Firefly, Nip and Tuck, Six Feet Under etc etc) I've seen and collected mad asian cinema that has blown me away. To those i the know Region 1 has been dethroned as king of the Regions - Region 3 is on the rise!!!

gary

11. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As Gary D says, buying DVD's "On spec" has really widened my horizons when it comes to watching movies. I've spent £4-6 on R3 films like House of Flying Daggers, A Tale of Two Sisters, Musa the Warrior, 2046, One Missed Call, Dark Water etc etc and they are all great films that I am proud to own.

The other reason I buy DVDs is to pick up movies that I didn't get chance to watch at the cinema. With a three year old daughter and very limited baby-sitting offers, a trip to the cinema is more reserved for the "Big Screen" blockbusters like Lord of the Rings trilogy, Spiderman, X-Men...the sort of films that really benefit from watching on the largest screen possible. Using sites like DVD Soon, CD-Wow, Play, I've picked up a load of films (again cheaply) and sometimes before they come out on cinema in the UK. Most of the time,they actually cost less than a trip to the cinema anyway. If you watch them once, they've paid for themselves, if you watch them twice, your doing well.

There's always Ebay for ones that turn out to be not so good (and there have been a few....Ghosts of Mars anyone! :rolleyes: )

12. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    :offtopic: steve T, i noticed you mentioned "2046" - have you seen "in The Mood For Love"? i got the Critiron edtion from cdwow for 15.99 - its a far better film than "2046" and the edition is out of this world!!

Gary

13. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first got a DVD player I said I wouldn't build up a collection in the way I did with VHS. In the end they become so much clutter on the walls of your living room. My stated goal was to only buy those films that I would watch several times.

As the prices of DVD dropped I weakened and the collector mentality took over :eek: Especially with the advent of 3 for £20 which was getting cheaper than going to the cinema.

Now I'm looking at it again and will slow down. I have 20 films I haven't watched yet and there's plenty of recent releases and oldies that I would really like to see as well. Once I've watched my current backlog I am going to revert back to Plan A which will give me the occasional fix and then use something like Netflix or Amazon with DVD rentals for the once onlys. Honest :devil:

14. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :offtopic: GaryD - no I haven't seen it, but I'll pick it up on your recommendation!

The only thing I couldn't get my head around in 2046 is:

SPOILER

When the writer dumps Zhang Ziyi, and continues to do so even when she is throwing herself at him. I'm sorry, that's suspending disbelief too far!

Cheers!
    Steve

15. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I live in Berlin. The public library system here has a fantastic collection of DVDs -- just about everything available in R2, and quite a few R1 titles as well (e.g. the complete Criterion collection!).

The system has an easy to use Internet portal, which allows users to search for titles and reserve them. The user is notified via letter when a reserved title is available -- he then has two weeks to pick up the DVD, and can keep the DVD for two weeks (extensions are possible as long as no other users have reserved the title). This service costs a grand total of 1 Euro per title! :thumbsup:
    For an additional 75 cents, a user can have a reserved title sent to his local library branch (some branches have a much larger collection than others).

One thing this system requires is patience: for high-demand items, it's not unusual to have to wait six months or more. But I usually have around ten titles "in the pipeline", which means that there's almost always something waiting for me at the library.

So with a service like this, I am generally able to resist the temptation to buy DVDs. I try to limit myself to one purchase per month (I'm trying to save up money for a 42" HD-ready plasma display... :rolleyes: ).

16. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I bought my first DVD I only intended to buy the really special films on DVD due to how expensive they were. I purchased a DVD case which holds 38 DVDs thinking I would never fill it, boy was I wrong. Nowadays I always seem to be buying something and my collection has risen exponentially over the last couple of years. :D

I think it's nice to always have something to watch and although I never really went into pre-recorded videotapes( they never lasted or were chewed up by the machine) I did use to have an exceptionally large video collection recorded from television. Unlike the days of video DVD has really separated movies from television. Once it was almost a level playing field listening through stereo headphones or a stereo but with 5.1 sound movie stand head and shoulders above TV series.

Now I'm just trying to replace all my old videotapes with spanking new DVDs . :devil:

I think Gary is right because collecting DVDs is like an addiction. You always want one more or a better copy or the best edition available at the time.

I love DVD, long live DVD! :clap: