1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Collateral Damage

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by andypandy, Oct 20, 2002.

1. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have searched for all articles in this forum about this arnie flick and no one has mentioned the very poor quality transfer if this film. OK, everyone has said they either hate or love it - which is your own personal taste.
    One did mention he played this on his new 42" plasma and was astounded (What that the plasma or the film ??)
    I have a the panny 36"CRT and you can see all sorts of imperfections most of the way through - even the Warner logos at the start (i.e the backround solid colours seemed to be running in 16 bit colour !).
    I'm not sure whether this is confined to the region 1 copies only.
    My DVD player is the Pioneer 444 , but I am in the process of upgrading to the Panasonic XV10. It's not the TV or the Player as many other films are spot on transfer quality.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :confused: Where's the benefit, except possibly " chroma upsampling error bug " free Panasonic mpeg chipset ? The two players are about the same, no ?

3. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You obviously have not heard of the Pionner 444 and Panasonic TV RGB problems. I think there a are compatability issues there ! It's been mentioned heavily if you search the forum for articles on this.
    I did my homework before I bought it, but yet again it seemed no one started to pick up on this unitl AFTER I bought one !!!!!

I now believe there is some grain of truth in the fact TV make should equal DVD player. Probably designed, tested and origianally benchmarked against their own make of TV. Anything else is coincidenatlly that they also are great on certain other TV makes !
    Lastly, the player was chosen from within my budget and importantly is is also Multi-region, but not macrovision disabled (pity, but never mind !).

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're absolutely right, I haven't...:cool:

5. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw it the other night R2, worse than the pic quality was the sound. Very poor, particulalrly the dialog.

6. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Poor dialog is par for the course with Arnie... or did you mean the sound quality? :D

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, just watched the R2 ( rental ), have to say picture was not the worst but not the best, same for sound.
    The movie itself was a lot better than expected, only puzzle why so politically correct, Jeez, Colombians.....True Lies...

8. sonny

sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have Collateral Damage on R2. Two comments, first it was not as bad a film as all the reviews led me to believe , and second, I did not think sound and vision were too bad at all.

9. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think I should re-iterate that I viewed the film on my 36" TV set. I have seen DVD films on DVD players (same class) on smaller sets i.e 32" and believe me the picture is so much clearer and sharper on 32" sets compared to 36". I suppose I need to spend money on a mid to upper class DVD player to get the picture on the same level.

So basically, back to my point, I think those who think the picture quality is fine then you obviously have a smaller set. I dread to think what the quality must be like on a larger set !!!

Normally I am happy with the quality of DVD films on my set, but the odd one that comes along and spoils the enjoyment. It's just a shame standards drop !!.

The original Predator DTS region 1 was also poor, but the later released copies were better.The original Bad Boys Reg 2 was superb transfer and sound - it was one of the first DVD I bought, many many years ago !!

10. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well thanks for that and I havn't even watched it yet :D

11. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just to give my opionion I thought the film was really good too.

12. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for that andy :)

13. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you mean the R2 / R4 SE release of Predator over the R1 dts...

Well not that much better. That is why I am hanging onto the R1 dts and hoping they release a R1 5 Star with remastered audio and video.

The first 15-20 minutes of the R2 / R4 SE's still shows the same problems as the R1 with grain etc and the soundtracks on all 3 versions is basically 4.1.

And as for CD, I have the R1 and it looks fine on my 78cm WS TV,
    I might have to try it on my mates Denon and PJ when he gets back from overseas and see how it looks on a 9' screen. :)

14. StJonno

StJonno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the R2 version and as well as saying i quite enjoyed it, how can an Arnie in revenge mode movie be bad;) The sound and picture seemed fine, that is to say i didnt notice it being any worse than anything else i watched this weekend

15. sonny

sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I also have a Panny 36" crt and although it does show up defects not visible on a 32" I did not think Collateral Damage was particularly bad as far as sound and vision go.

16. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Maybe not particularly bad , but when you watch another DVD straight after it becomes more apparent. I saw R1 Cayote Ugly straight after which happens to have much sharper and more colourful pictures and you just wish CD was just as sharp !!.

It looks like there is a trend here. If Arnie is entering the jungle then the picture is not going to be great.
    I wonder what Rambo trilogy is like ? I don't have it yet.