1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

collar magnets

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by LiquidTV, Nov 24, 2004.

1. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Just a quick question (& possibly stupid!!), I had several collar magnets supplied with my new Samsung LCD.

I understand they are used to supress interference, the question is for which lead, the power or DVI lead?? Also where is the best place to fit them??

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    They're just big lumps of iron and act as an inductor. These do indeed act to block very high frequency signals.

Their usefulness is debatable but your best plan would be to try it on both and see what differences there are, you certainly won't cause any harm. I would guess it to be better off on the mains cable than a DVI cable though.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi,
    They can be used pretty much anywhere. They need to be as tight on the cable as possible. To be effective they need maximum surface contact. Best results will probably be on RF cables and power cables. Most cables come with them fitted at either end but there is nothing to stop you running them all the way along the cable. This apparently works quite well!
    HTH

4. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers guys, any ideas where I could get some more of these thingys?? As you say it won't hurt if I place a few along the lead.

The main issue is that I have knocked a large hole in the wall for approx half a dozen cables to run through (2 x components cables, scart cable,Coaxial, DVI, power lead & stereo phono leads).

My old man who is a builder, has conveniently plastered in a section of sewer pipe into the wall!!! This has both tidied up the wall & protects the cables from rubbing against the blockwork, albeit you won't be able to see it anyway. :laugh:

It maybe fine, but suspect there will be some interference when I connect up to the LCD. I was planning as much as possible to separate the mains lead away from the rest using a piece of polystyrene in the hole & placing these collar things around the lead.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You could try Ebay. Be warned some people/companies seem to charge ridiculous amounts of money for Iron Ferrites. Keeping the cables seperate would be a good thing doing it of course is a completely different thing....

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Check any standard electrical supplier (like www.maplin.co.uk www.cpc.co.uk etc) for ferrite products. You shouldn't really need them the length of the cable, you should get the same effect just putting them at the end where the signal exits the cable although I suppose you could put one at each end for completeness! Your choice but it would definitely be cheaper.

You need to be careful using them with video cables as these are at much higher frequencies than either audio or the mains so you could end up filtering out a signal that you actually want! :)

7. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again guys!!