1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

colin mcrae 3

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by -Jay-, Oct 3, 2002.

1. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    anyone looking forward to playing the colin mcrae demo out friday on the xbox mag i know i am.been waiting a long time to play this game i just hope it`s as good as the mag says it is.

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been waiting for this baby for some time... Chances are though I'll buy it on the PC first then maybe PS2... I have a force feedback wheel for both formats so I might as well make some use of it ^_^

It is looking superb so far and I just hope the gameplay is still there...

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i`ll let you know what i think when i get my hands on it tomorrow if i can drag my self away :D

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Couldn't find the PS2 mag so I opted for Xbox demo instead. This and its only a demo (an early'ish one at that)..
    game is incredible..:)
    Here's my impressions for our message board..:D (joke)

Been playing more tonight. What can I say Codies Crew - it is simply stunning.

Points to note:-

Three little roof aerials that move around perfectly with the physics of the car..

Tyre tracks are fantastic and replicate exactly where the individual tyres have been. In the snow and mud the tyre tracks are almost 3D they really do look as though they have left a track in the surface..

Sound is awesome, the various road surfaces translate perfectly from the squishing of the sludge as you pass from ice to snow, the creaking of the snow compacting under the weight of your car to the textured sound of the tarmac..

Real-time reflections..wow - dont need to say anything else..

Frame rate issues - what issues.. not a spec in game (saw two occasions in replay but this is an early version and they were very slight) Only wanted to mention this so no one comes on next week after playing the demo saying it slows down in the replays..

Damage model is painful (nicely painful. ), drive into a solid road-sign and you cringe as you realise it has almost torn into the metal of your car body.. Has to be experienced to fully understand, but the guys have obviously stacked a few motors to get this so right (not letting them near my car.. )

Handling - well we all know the CMR team know how to make a game handle properly and I assume the team is almost the same as previous CMR games cos this is as perfect..

Replays are amazing.. Is a replay just a replay.? Well not if it makes you feel like you are watching a replay of a rally on TV. Dynamic cameras put you both in and out of the action in a great mix of style and practicality. Sometimes the camera is just following the car, other times the camera is sitting pretty in the environment (maybe trees or bushes) and pans sweetly as the car comes into view in the distance (through the tress)..it's a great feeling and again needs to be seen to be appreciated..

there's plenty more I could mention, but dont want this to be so long no one bothers to read it..

Got an Xbox.? then at least grab the demo if not the full game next week, this is a stunner. I had reservations after the disappointing TOCA but this is CMR 'in the flesh' and follows faithfully in the footsteps of the previous outings..and this version (with Xbox pumping the game onto my screen) is without question the ultimate Rally game now and for a long time to come..

Thankyou Codies..the best of british.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love CMR2 and Rally 2k on the PC... The rally sections in GT3 were quite good to be fair but IMO nothing could touch CMR2 for the sheer immersion of gameplay. Can't wait to pick this baby on PC... I'll run it on my mates GF4 4600 Ti for now then I'll go about building my PC.

Can't wait ^_^

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i agree with most of what museumsteve said. but the handling was too light for my liking. but i think that comes from playing alot of pgr so i think when i get the game i will be able to set the handling up for how i like it to feel.

7. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'd prefer to play CM3 on the PC but it doesn't seem to be coming out the same time as the other formats.
    If it comes to it I'll get it for the PS2.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Does it allow you the drivers view from inside the car as well ?

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    yes it doe`s & what a view just wait till you see that rain hitting the windscreen :eek:

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Looks like I'll have to throw away Colin Mcrea 2 when it comes out on the PC !!
    Any idea when it will be out on PC ?

11. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Went into Game yesterday to check it was still coming out this week, and they had the xbox release date as 25th October, any one know if this is right? :(

Owain

12. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    hi owain gameplay also has this date so doe`s eb but the xbox mag say`s it is slipping to november so we`ll have to see.

13. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    25th October on both formats according to Codemasters site

14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MMm.... Can't wait ^_^ Looks I'd better dust off my FF wheels for some more CM fun. I'm sure in the game Colin will still be in the Ford Focus since the next rally doesn't start for another 2 months when he will be in the Citroen. Hopefully the min spec won't be too high.

15. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That happend to CM2 just when the game was released he went from Subaru to Ford. Mind you he hasn't been to happy at Ford for a long while.

That Citroen will serve his needs i bet.

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850