Colds/flu since Covid-19

One of the few side benefits to this lot!! Like it.

Point made today by someone was can I remember the last time I knew someone that has had a cold/flu since Covid-19 showed it's ugly face in the UK and I had to say that I cannot (sadly lost a good friend to Covid recently)

My OH and her family suffer a colds up to 3-5 times a year, but as of today have not had anything at all and not usual reports from an uncle or distant aunt suffering from a cold.

Same for you, or not and could this show how we should carry on in future (hopefully Covid-19 leaves) with masks in public, better hygiene and being more aware.
My heart goes out to you for the loss of your dear friend. I used to get colds four or five times per year and haven't had any likely because I have not been visting coffee shops and also as you say hygiene and self awareness has improved thanklfully. I am the only one not to get covid amongst my aunts and cousins and I think it is because I have been using sinusoothe nose spray every singkle day without fail. I use this to relieve nasal congestion and it is powerfulo stuff! I am convinced that flushing out your sinuses prevents colds and flues etc. and the ingredients in this wiuld kill anything I reckon.

I had a mild cold last Sept after son went back to schoool. As normal.
I too think the less social interactions and better hygiene has helped this past year.

I had a mild cold last Sept after son went back to schoool. As normal.
I too think the less social interactions and better hygiene has helped this past year.
Yes, Dr Hilary on Good Morning Britain explained how the social distancing measures to slow Covid have largely kept the traditional flu at bay.

Apart from a passing mildly sore throat, I have not had a cold either. Mind you, since I started taking extra vitamin C as well as multi-vitamin tablets about 3 years ago, I hardly get any colds and get fewer mouth ulcers than before.

I have the flu nearly every year and suffer on a regular basis with sinusitis.

So glad have not had either this year, although do have sneezing fits every few days.

Happily had the flu vaccine in December and hope they do the free over 50's jabs again this year.

I had flu once...more than thirty years ago...am not due for my next cold for about another 18 months/2years.

I’ve normally had one stinking cold every winter which goes into my sinuses and causes a couple or three weeks of misery. Haven’t even had a sniffle in the last year.

So glad have not had either this year, although do have sneezing fits every few days.

Happily had the flu vaccine in December and hope they do the free over 50's jabs again this year.

Judging by what the epidemiologists say in that Wired article, they’re going to struggle to determine which strains to vaccinate against in this winter’s flu jabs as there’s so little data with which to do their usual projections.

“There’s always vaccine season and flu season. We’re used to working in that pattern, and the pattern is gone,” says Emily Martin, an epidemiologist at the University of Michigan School of Public Health who’s part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s flu-monitoring network. “Now, I’m glad I didn’t have to do Covid control and influenza control at the same time. That would have been a disaster. But at the same time, it is this strange year.”
After a season in which none of the susceptible people turn into infected people, the next season is a lot worse. “We know that for both influenza and RSV, your antibody protection wanes over time. Now we’ve got an entire population that’s had no boost,” Martin says. “If we’re not even having those low level exposures, it really means an open playing field for the viruses next season.”
The bad news is, if the next influenza strain is quite a lot different than the one scientists built the last vaccine for, they might not be ready. Usually the flu oscillates from hemisphere to hemisphere, winter to winter, like a fabulously wealthy skiing enthusiast. And vaccine-makers could watch what happened in one hemisphere to prepare in the other. But not this year. In its guidance for the coming season, the World Health Organization simply had less to go on. “You had this cadence that’s been interrupted,” Martin says. “Now we don’t have enough data to get a good sense of where it’s going.”

First time for the flu vaccine?

Judging by what the epidemiologists say in that Wired article, they’re going to struggle to determine which strains to vaccinate against in this winter’s flu jabs as there’s so little data with which to do their usual projections.

Hopefully, the little buggers haven’t had enough “family time“ to mutate much. Steady as she goes probably looks the best tactic.

I usually have about 4 colds per year. Since the pandemic began I've had 1 very mild cold and that was a couple of months ago.
I've had an on/off cold for months and 2 chest infections.

Thankfully no covid-19 due to being in the CEV group and trying to be as careful as I can be and avoiding people as much as possible.

I do have gastroparesis, intersistial cystitis and visceral hypersensitivity to deal with everyday of my life, so am a sickly person anyway :blush:

I've had an on/off cold for months and 2 chest infections.

Thankfully no covid-19 due to being in the CEV group and trying to be as careful as I can be and avoiding people as much as possible.

I do have gastroparesis, intersistial cystitis and visceral hypersensitivity to deal with everyday of my life, so am a sickly person anyway :blush:
poor wee soul

Well, if they don't then go to Tescos Pharmacy - I booked online and it cost just £9 last September. In fact, I would consider it £9 well spent in order to get the vaccine early in September (as an under-65 I was offered a GP vaccination on 20th November).

First time for the flu vaccine?
Yes, sore arm for a day and a couple of days feeling "loggy" and that was all.
I am one where if I get the flu really suffer with it, and even if the free jabs aren't done again will stump up the cash to get it done.

Yes, sore arm for a day and a couple of days feeling "loggy" and that was all.
I am one where if I get the flu really suffer with it, and even if the free jabs aren't done again will stump up the cash to get it done.
Looks a good idea for you. I had my first one this time. No ill effects.I've been getting off lightly so far.
When all said and done it's lighting your immune system up, so hope all goes well for you.
Mind you, I reckon I've only had flu once and some years ago. Laid me out flat.

I'm sure I've still had a cold and hay fever over the year, but not a concern. But I've heard overall flu rates have been massively down, which says to me masks and distancing work to an extent with reducing infection rates.

Last edited:
After about 2 weeks at school the boy came home with a cold. Covid tests all round but negative. Quite a snotty cold too.

On Wednesday I started to get a bad throat and was bunged up. Had a pretty torrid few days to be honest but feeling better today. Not a pleasant cold.

I had actually forgotten what it was like to be honest. Last cold i can remember was Feb last year.

I managed to catch a cold a couple of weeks ago, it must have been in the supermarket because I hadn't been anywhere else. That's despite wearing the mask!

You know when you're 100% certain you've got a whopper of a cold coming on, you have that pre-cold feeling in your nose and throat, probably sniffles too? Well I had that feeling on Sunday afternoon/evening, expecting to feel rough when I woke up on Monday.

Woke up on Monday absolutely fine - I think it's cross-protection/trained immunity from Covid vaccination (in my case J&J trial, double-shot).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom