Cold Tvs

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by meg, Dec 21, 2002.

1. meg

meg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if someone could advise me here? I have twice had a 'failed' delivery of a Sony FQ80 - both times, they turned up with the set, switched it on, and it had bad 'wavy lines' across the whole picture (even across the menus with no inputs!).

The set was VERY cold - but the delivery guys swore that this would not cause such a problem, and so took it away as faulty.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Are they both really faulty (seems unlikely!) or could the temperature be the cause?

Advice would be much appreciated!

Mark.

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A TV that's been in zero degree temperatures for a few hours (or even over night) in a van or depot that is then brought into a centrally heated house and turned on will be laden with condensation.

Water and electronics just don't go well together... those delivery guys must be mad, or simply don't care.

Most AV kit manuals will clearly instruct you to leave the unit in the room/at room temperature for at least an hour before thinking about turning it on.

I'm not saying that would definitely have been the cause of your wavy lines, but it certainly wouldn't have helped the problem.

3. meg

meg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly what I thought! Trouble is, the tv is a swap-out for another one with geometry problems - so far, I've kept the old one, as at least it's watchable! I'm not sure how I can persuade the delivery guys to wait around while we let it warm up, before I either accept or reject the replacement!

Mark

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Smooth talk and hospitality for starters (try a beer ;) ).