1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold mountain clumsy editing?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    Just watched R1 Cold Mountain. Enjoyed it. But.
    At chapter 17 1:16:36 and at chapter 26 2:19:25 there are men who get shot in the head.
    In both shots, it looks like several frames have been edited out to remove any gore. The result is a very amateurish looking 'jump'.

I've had a quick look in the internet to see if there is anything about this but found nothing.
    I suspect that either the MPAA or the studio have insisted on the cuts or the film makers decided to do it. Either way it seems pointless since the movie is an R anyway. And it looks crap.
    Just thought I'd air my dissatisfaction.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Brilliant film, review coming later today. As for the jump edits i also noticed this at least twice and it would appear it has been done for the MPAA, i cannot think of any other reason why they would do that. There was no mention of this on the documentary when discussing editing with Walter Murch.

3. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I didn't notice anything in the cinema!

A bit of an average film I thought, looking to be more than it is (an adventure film at most). Kidman and Law had nothing to play with in their characters, which is why they appear crap. Natalie Portman was good, and so was Philip Seymour Hoffman (sp?). But pretty visuals and nice music do not a good film make. Cold Mountain will be forgotten very quickly...

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I'm looking forward to this one but will probably get the reg2/3 version when it becomes available if they've not got the same editing.

If your into your westerns and your yet to see Open Range I'd thoroughly recomend you check it out :smashin: