1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Col Hal Moore...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Desticado, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi folks,

Just watched 'Born of the 4th of July' and had forgotten what a good movie it was. During the movie I was intrigued to notice that Kovic's (Cruise) CO was Col. Moore.

since both this movie and 'We Were Soldiers' are 'based' on factual material I was wondering if it was the same person being referenced.

The notion being given credance by the reference in 'Bot4oJ' to the 1st Air Cav.

Looking forward to hearing back from any of you other film buff historians.

Best regards

2. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good question, don't know the answer yet. I am am not a fan of this film but love We Were Soldiers.

IMDB lists the infantry Colonel in BOT4OJ (no name) as played by Capt Dale Dye.

Capt Dye is a military advisor and actor who has been in almost every war film of the last 2 decades.

He was in Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers...it would be great if he was playing Hal Moore in BOT4OJ. Will keep looking.

BTW - I think that WWS was a great film, very accurate and deserves to be up there with SPR.

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think it would be a case of verifying which units Ron Kovic served with during the Vietnam war, cant think of any other way to check.

Dale Dye occurs in SO many different movies its crazy, once you're familure with him you cant help but spot him.

In a way its a shame, as now every American movie I watch with soldiers in I start looking for him to wander on as some old general or the like.

Totally agree with you on 'WWS'. Amazing movie. A great combination of heart wrenching drama and gut busting action. It's almost never that I'll watch the same thing twice within a month and I watch this movie three times in two days.

Think that says it all really.

regards