• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Coil whine

Dave2

Prominent Member
Hi guys what is your opinion on this ?

I got my new gtx 1080ti yesterday and installed it etc.. I loaded up witcher 3 on max settings and teh card gives off some noticeable coil whine.

Is it worth keeping the card or sending back ?

sykotik

Distinguished Member
I have had coil whine on some of my cards , G1 970 and G1 1070 both had it , but after a while the card settles down and stops making any "whine" noise.
a few tips here to help reduce it ,

Dave2

Prominent Member
Cheers will give it a go see what happens. Tge 1080ti is one hell of a beast witcher with hair works etc on ultra is amazing at 1440p 165hz . Compared to how the 1080 handled it.

aslird

Distinguished Member
My 1080 has coil whine, but only with very high (300+) fps. Hopefully it will not get worse and start at 144 fps.

mark6226

Prominent Member
My msi gaming X 11g is totally silent. I have a bank of additional noctua case fans (stunning fans) and even when pushed hard everything is almost silent. I've had three msi custom cards and never had any coil whine

Dave2

Prominent Member
noise seems to be alot lower now , might of just needed breaking in.

ArmitageShanks

Prominent Member
I think mine took a few weeks before it disappeared now can't hear anything from it .
It's probably still there, but you've tuned it out ;) My plasma makes a whine/buzz that I can't hear...until I come back from a long holiday. It might be components settling in, but I suspect it's more my brain/ears just filtering it out after continuous exposure.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
It's probably still there, but you've tuned it out ;) My plasma makes a whine/buzz that I can't hear...until I come back from a long holiday. It might be components settling in, but I suspect it's more my brain/ears just filtering it out after continuous exposure.
No , defiantly gone my old 970 was the same but that cleared up after a short amount time .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom