Code reader comes up trumps.

KelvinS1965

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I bought a cable complete with software for BMWs older than 2007 recently. My Z3 felt a little 'flat' at lower revs, though no warning lights on the dash, so I'd put it down to being used to my 320d that I drive daily. However as our eldest has an R56 Mini with an airbag warning light (quoted £400 to replace the airbag too), plus my OH has an R50 Mini I figured it was worth paying the £35 for the cable and software...

I practiced on my Z3 first as it's not my daily car, so less of a risk. :D The software picked up three error codes, two were single events so possibly just a glitch, but the third was 87 events (exhaust camshaft sensor). I cleared all the errors and went for a 10 mile drive. The camshaft sensor error occured again registering 3 events. I tried cleaning the sensor, clearing the errors and also clearing the 'adaption values' (the car 'learns' from the various sensors over time), but no better and more errors returned. Today I fitted a new sensor (£46), reset the errors again and also the 'adpation values' to be sure and success. :thumbsup: The car now feels much more lively at lower revs as I'd expect for a 3 litre (it could barely accelarate from 50mph in 5th previously, now it surges forward even from 40mph). A 50 mile drive today showed no further errors and the OBC went up from the usual 26mpg to 32mpg (though I was stuck behind traffic cruising at 50mph for the last few miles, so I'll reserve judgement on that score).

All in all, well recommended for older BMWs as the single sensor required, plus the cable and software is cheaper than buying two possible sensors that could have been the cause. Plus I now have the equipment to clear the service lights, etc after future maintainance. Hopefully it will help sort out the Mini airbag issue too (as it's often just a poor connector, but of course you need to reset the light to check if you've found the right connector).

No connection to the seller, just thought I'd relay my pleasure at solving an issue with 'one of those modern cars full of electronics'. :thumbsup:

BMW Cables Moonfruit

Last edited:
If your car has OBD2, and you have an Android phone, I can highly recommend the "Torque" App for this sort of thing.

These guys get a good review on the BMW forums BMW Diagnostic Cable | BMW Cable | Diagnostic Cables | BMW Cables | and only £24 :D

Yes there are quite a few around, some with better support than others hence going for this one, though I didn't actually need the 16 to 20 pin adaptor so I could have got the £24.99 one, so only 99p more. :D

I was concerned about how clear the installation instructions would be as for the DIS/SSS software it's pretty complicated, in practice I only seem to need the INPA software for now. I can't use my work's laptop for this software install, so I had to use an old Windows 2000 600Mhz/256mB RAM machine so I had to create some CDs from the supplied DVDs as my old laptop only has a CD-ROM drive. At the moment I can't install the DIS/SSS software they also included due to running Windows 2000 (one of the earlier installation requirements stops due to the OS not being XP/Win 7). I have a spare hard disc so I may install XP on that disc so I can get the DIS/SSS software working too.

I just checked all the error codes on my OH's Mini and there were non, which is good. Took me a while to find the OBC socket as it's well hidden. Just hoping that I can get it to work with eldest's later model Mini as there are a number of 'R56' options when updating the INPA software using 'disc 2'. I'll have to go methodically through each option until I find the one that will connect: If you chose the wrong engine management type for example, it just fails to connect and gives an error message, so hopefully it shouldn't damage the car's electronics.

Meant to add that I haven't got an iPhone or Android, just a Blackberry that work provide. I know that apps can be quite cheap though, so that's a useful tip. :)

Just an update, incase anyone acts on this thread: Depending on the car in question (mine being a 2001 Z3 3.0) you may need to buy the 16 to 20 pin adaptor as the OBCII connector inside the car won't allow you access to all of the error codes/resets. Aparently you need to use the 20 pin connector under the bonnet to 'see' airbag and ABS codes, so if your car has this connector then make sure you buy the adaptor as well. Cars like my OH's Mini only have the OBCII connector inside the car, so wouldn't need the adaptor for example.

Had a good run out in it today and despite making use of the extra power, the mpg seems to have gone up 2-3 mpg over my usual figure. I filled it with V-Power tonight so will clear the 'adaptation settings' again as the car is designed to run on 98RON and will give best performance and mpg on this fuel apparently...we'll see if it does, otherwise I'll go back to the 95RON stuff.

I wouldn't be without one now. I saved a fortune on my Audi S4 with a VAGCOM cable, even at 140 quid it cost me on the Audi forums.
Just got one for the Saab which uses standardish ODB and also works on my motorbike for a tenner on eBay. Diagnosed two fault codes already

Sounds good. So what was the old sensor doing? Or perhaps more apt would be to ask what wasn't it doing?

The sensor for the exhaust camshaft position was faulty (presumably not picking up the signal). My car has variable camshaft timing on both cams (Dual/Twin VANOs in BMW speak), which IIUIC allows a more peaky camshaft for higher top end power, but the adjustable timing allows it to produce more torque at lower revs too. If the sensor isn't working then the ECU just puts in a default value, hence the lack of power especially lower down, plus the poor mpg as I guess it's not running so efficiently.

The only thing that confuses me is that this fault (and the same for the inlet camshaft position sensor) doesn't bring up a light on the dash. :confused: The first most would know is when they take the car in for a service. When I first drove the car I thought it felt a little flat at lower engine revs, but I thought it was because I was used to my company car a 320d which has quite good power low down, being a turbo diesel. The Z3 does feel much more lively low down now.

Next upgrade is to change the worn front wishbone bush for new polybush ones (already fitted a strutbrace) so that should tighten up the handling a little. :smashin:

I wouldn't be without one now. I saved a fortune on my Audi S4 with a VAGCOM cable, even at 140 quid it cost me on the Audi forums.
Just got one for the Saab which uses standardish ODB and also works on my motorbike for a tenner on eBay. Diagnosed two fault codes already

Have you got a link for that? It sounds like a useful bit of kit. :thumbsup:

Agree these code readers can save you an absolute fortune in the long run, especially if the car is more than several years old.
Unless you are thinking about track days I wouldn't recommend polybushing, it'll make your car sound like a pet cemetery.:D
Just fitting new arms with standard oem bushes that come pre-installed will be enough to sharpen up your tired steering.

Lots of debate either way for and against polybushes on the Z3 forums...I'm only replacing the front wishbone rear bush as it's a known weak point and a polybush is much easier to fit. If I really do find it too hard I'll get some OEM ones, but I fancy taking it on a track at some point, plus it's not my daily driver so a firm ride is OK for me (the RS2000 isn't exactly a limo either. :D). The others may get replaced with OEM eventually (especially if the MOT picks up any play). If the wishbones themselves need changing then the polybushes can be reused as they just pull off rather than having to be cut away like OEM ones.

I'll be ready for a 'told you so' though as I've never done any upgrades like this before, it's always been OEM for me. :)

Did the front wishbone rear bushes this morning using Powerflex ones and the ride is no harder than before, plus I put on plenty of the coppergrease to prevent squeaking. So far so good, but the clunk from the left side when turning sharp right is still there. :( Will try the ARB link arms next as they are cheap and looks an easy job.

It will never handle like a Ferrari (or even my mate's VX220) but these upgrades should help improve the handling.

Back on topic, the sensor code error hasn't reappeared since replacing it last week and the car is feeling much livelier than before, plus mpg is up 3 more than previously. I'll be due to refill again soon as I'm going out for a Pistonheads meeting in the morning, so I can check the mpg properly once the tank is refilled, but I don't think the OBC is that far out as it's a relative improvement of 3mpg.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom