CODA (Apple TV+) Movie Review & Comments

ukcanuk

Distinguished Member
Watched it last night with my partner and we both really enjoyed it. Agree with comments above about the father stealing every scene he was in. In my top 5 of the year so far, and yet another example why my AppleTV+ subscription seems much better value than Netflix currently is.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
We really enjoyed this too, cheers for the recommendation Cas.
It could have turned into a Netflix movie, there was a few times it did edge towards ITV2, but the story kept up our interest, very moving/amusing, the lead we thought was superb. Acting/belting it out and signing, yes the dad was good, but Ruby was fantastic, Mr V was great too.

DV - lovely and clean.

At least 7/10

Garioch

Distinguished Member
I can only echo most of the comments here including Cas' excellent review. It exhibits enormous mainstream appeal with remarkable normalcy towards the deaf community. I did think that Miles (the male love interest) was underwritten and underplayed. Overall however, Coda is very sweet and endearing. On a technical level - this film is gorgeous to look at. The specular highlights in the water, catching the sunlight's reflection, are piercing. Similarly, the Atmos track resonates during the audition scenes (the last one in particular).

I've temporarily paused my Netflix subscription, simply because I haven't used it in months. Instead I am increasingly drawn to Apple TV+'s library of titles, which at the moment has a 100% success rate based on the content I've seen. I like how titles default to Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos as standard - even for smaller titles that would not typically merit such a generous treatment. I'm sure I'll return to Netflix but I'm not in a rush - Apple TV+ (and I say this as an Apple skeptic) is hands down my favourite streaming provider just now.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I can only echo most of the comments here including Cas' excellent review. It exhibits enormous mainstream appeal with remarkable normalcy towards the deaf community. I did think that Miles (the male love interest) was underwritten and underplayed. Overall however, Coda is very sweet and endearing. On a technical level - this film is gorgeous to look at. The specular highlights in the water, catching the sunlight's reflection, are piercing. Similarly, the Atmos track resonates during the audition scenes (the last one in particular).

I've temporarily paused my Netflix subscription, simply because I haven't used it in months. Instead I am increasingly drawn to Apple TV+'s library of titles, which at the moment has a 100% success rate based on the content I've seen. I like how titles default to Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos as standard - even for smaller titles that would not typically merit such a generous treatment. I'm sure I'll return to Netflix but I'm not in a rush - Apple TV+ (and I say this as an Apple skeptic) is hands down my favourite streaming provider just now.

I had a blitz on Apple a short time ago And was utterly blown away by the picture quality. To be watching back to back films in g!oriious Dolby Vision was fantastic. I loved CODA too (my current film of 2021), but I think Palmer is worth mentioning too on there. A decent performance by Justin Timberlake, and just a really decent watch that properly gave me 'something in my eye' on regular intervals.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom