CODA (Apple TV+) Movie Review & Comments

IAMBatman

Magnificent review once again, Cas. This might be my favorite film from the last 3 years. It’s heartfelt, beautiful and emotional without being manipulative to achieve those emotions. Just amazing. 9.5/10 for me.

MarkNorton1

Thanks Cas, not been on my radar this but very much looking forward to it now.

one of my favourite films of the year

ukcanuk

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas - while apple’s output volume remains low, the vast majority seems high quality making this subscription seem much better value than the £14 a month I’m paying for Netflix. Add some great series like Ted Lasso and (fingers crossed) Foundation, it feels a bargain. This one on my viewing list for next weekend.

PlexShaw

Just completely destroyed this on the five live review show.
Robbie Collins' review was laughably mean-spirited.

It's an absolutely terrific film IMO. Sure, there are narrative contrivances but its imbued with such warmth and heart that these can be easily overlooked.

Fun fact: Emilia Jones is the daughter of Aled Jones, which probably goes some way to explaining her incredible vocal chops.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas. As I mentioned in the other thread I thought this was excellent. Very funny moments that mixed in well with the emotional scenes. Don't mind admitting I welled up a few times.

I think it fully deserves a few awards if nominated.

Craig uk

What a wonderful film - absolutely stunning Dolby Vison implementation also. A must see.

Slinkywizard

I am clearly a heathen and a horrible person because I was bored to tears by this. It's not 'bad' per se, more like it's formed of a very unsubtle form of pathos I find quite nauseating while at the same time it also wants to be Glee.

Gambit1977

Great review, thanks Cas. I'm guessing it is NOTHING like the saccharin sweet trailer Apple keep forcing down my throat.

mn3

Pity it’s only available in the UK and US. Not available in for example Sweden at all.

clnthl

I am clearly a heathen and a horrible person because I was bored to tears by this. It's not 'bad' per se, more like it's formed of a very unsubtle form of pathos I find quite nauseating while at the same time it also wants to be Glee.
At least I’m not the only ones be who thought this! I agree not a bad film but pretty boring and dare I use the word over rated… I guess I’m one of those people that find most critically acclaimed films boring, if it’s going to be nominated for an Oscar it’s not for me

AidenL

Watched this tonight.

Fabulous feel good movie, highly recommended.

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Brilliant movie, one of the best I have watched in 2021, Ruby's father steals the film for me.....

Ten out of ten all day, everyday until the end of time.......................... :)

Pogg

Brilliant movie, one of the best I have watched in 2021, Ruby's father steals the film for me.....

Ten out of ten all day, everyday until the end of time.......................... :)
That scene in which he graphically signed/described the use of condom was hilarious.

Bakey

I watched this on Sunday, I enjoyed it, liked the characters and thought it was well acted. I haven’t given it much thought since though and probably won’t watch it again.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Totally agree with your rating here Cas. Having just watched it, it absolutely blew me away. Sure, it's not perfect, a little cheesy in places, and could have lost 10 minutes or so from the running time. It is however, one beautiful little film. I was able to easily look past any minor shortcomings and proclaim it film of 2021 so far. Fantastically moving, inspired, hilarious, wonderfully acted, and just the best time I've had with a film in long time time.

9/10

richp007

Distinguished Member
Wowsers, a stunning reception for this in here. I'm a big fan of Sound of Metal too.

Oscars? The Academy loves this kind of film.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Linn unveils latest Klimax LP12 flagship turntable
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Tizen plans include cloud gaming for smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play racks up 10 million users