COD4/WaW players thoughts on Killzone 2

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Hubba-EX, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Hubba-EX

Hubba-EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
  2. Leumas_10

Leumas_10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I played the demo over the weekend. Wasn't impressed at all to be honest. The theme isn't really my cup of tea anyway, but mainly the aiming and movement felt all wrong to me. Really slow and clunky, I tried the different sensitivities aswell. It made me feel sick too lol, sprinting with all that blurring going on and everything felt really closed in.

Obviously it's only the demo and can't comment on the multiplayer etc (although those videos aren't selling it to me either). I'll probably never sample the full game because it didn't grab me in the slightest.

3. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,191
    I'm getting rid of WAW to fund the purchase of killzone.

Loved the demo and i'm sick of the online problems with WAW.

I've heard from beta testers there was no problems at all with the whole Killzone online experience.

Thanks for the rainbow names Treyarch (NOT). i'm going to pastures new very soon.

4. Fmrl

Fmrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    (shouldn't this thread be in the KZ2 forum? :D)

I was lucky enough to be on the MP beta - Servers are based on regions (so you never have to play with the Americans again!). Also, you can ****CHOOSE**** which game you want to join - what luxury! :smashin:

The gameplay in KZ2 MP takes a bit of getting used to if you've been playing COD4/COD5... but then again COD4/COD5 would take a bit of getting used to if you've been playing KZ2!! - doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Guerrila have sprinkled KZ2 with a lot of visual effects so I guess it's a bit hard on the eye to begin with - even though it's set in the future everything looks dark, old, rusty, and ready to fall to bits.

The guns "feel" heavy, and you move like you're weighed down with armour and equipment, etc. The KZ2-equivalent of perks will take a long time to get used to, the classes are more like Team Fortress (but with an option to combine secondary abilities from other classes).

BUT.... At the moment I don't know if I'll buy it when KZ2 is released :eek: I've already got COD4, COD5, and HL2 so do I really need another FPS?

5. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    it's no cod 4 or cod waw

in fact it's no rfom 2 let alone 1

it IS utterly boring , over hyped , derivative and overrated though

i'm amazed edge gave it 7/10 tbh

6. Genie1

Genie1
    Remembered (1979 - 2009)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Remember your being watched ;):D

7. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    100% purchase for me, I very much doubt WaW will get a look in once it's released, in fact it'll probably only get a couple of plays between now and when I get killzone 2, I'm having too much fun playing the demo :D

Like chalky, I'm sick of all the online problems with WaW, I'll still keep it (as I do with all my games - getting quite a collection now!) but I'll be moving to bigger and better things and not looking back, thanks (for nothing) Treyarch :D

8. Hubba-EX

Hubba-EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I wanted it here so I can get the thoughts of the COD hardcore.

I too was in the Beta, and I had a love hate relationship with it.

I like the fact that it feels different to all the other shooters I have played (weightyness, meatyness etc).

What I didnt like most was the aiming controls - compared to other shooters it feels really hard to aim accurately, I wish they were a bit more generous with the aim assist and more flexable with the deadzones (the lag talk is nonsense to me, I dont believe any of it:rolleyes:)

With regards to the beta, the other thing I didnt like was the spawn points and how the enemy could basically close you down in the spawn area, and there is no way to escape the spawn areas.

A COD4 example of this is when you play Domination in Downpour, if you capture flags A+B, the enermy will spawn around C and it can be very difficult to get out of there, but in Killzones case it is actully worse as in some levels you spawn in bulidings and the only way out is a few door exits, if the enemy blocks this you are slaughtered. Hope that issue is fixed.

9. StevePSIV

StevePSIV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,707
    U can tell all of that from a 5 minute demo?

10. Insomnia75

Insomnia75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    You have to remember that post was from Beo'knee-jerk reaction'wulf Askew

He reaction to WAW after playing for 15 seconds was to post his unilateral hatred for the game on every thread going...which appears to have now changed:D

11. TyFlip

TyFlip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    KZ2 will be purchased on the 27th of February, no two ways about that. So far I have studied the vids, played the demo and not fallen for the hype machine that I usually fall for (I have actually researched the game rather than my usual buy on impulse). I found the tiny demo brilliant even though it is harder to aim, but I don't mind that and overall, I am probably overly familiar with the COD controls and sensitivity, which is something that will be changing over the coming months. All in all I was blown away by the demo.

Different strokes and all that and while I understand that many people don't like KZ2, I don't honestly give a :censored: and I for one will be getting the game. I aint going to defend the game and try converting people, my time is better invested looking out of the window at work.

Whilst playing KZ2 I will no doubt will be aiming like a blindman on whizz, clunkily trotting about whilst getting picked off at spawn points, I will frustrate at my inability to rack up a decent kill ratio and yes I will most likely angrily Throw my pad around because of KZ2's occasional quirkiness - pretty much the same as I do when playing COD funnily enough, at least however, I'll be able to pick the games I enter, avoid gangsta rappers and Jean Pier poopoo whose only grasp of the English language is the F word - Gordon Ramsey style.

Even though it has its niggles, glitches & major frustrations COD WaW is a belting game, a masterpiece that has never fulfilled its potential and why? I don't know and as a casual gamer, I do not want to learn the ins & outs of game programming etc, if a game is good I'll buy it and praise it, if it's not I will not buy it and not moan about it.

If a game is brilliant but let down with glitches, broken lobbies, multi coloured names, connection issues and the like, you can bet your :censored: that I will :censored: and moan endlessly!

Just my worthless 2 pence!:smashin:

12. Fmrl

Fmrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I noticed this too, but as everyone was limited to a "grunt" class in the beta most people just trudged towards the enemy and then went toe toe (usually you kill one of them, one of them kills you, repeat). I remember on some maps it was carnage as everyone on both sides would just waddle towards a single choke point and keep shooting until they ran out of ammo.

One of the class abilities is to change the spawn point :thumbsup:

Also, I thought you had a choice of spawn points in the beta? (or was that just in one of the game modes or perhaps just on the big maps?)

Ah, I remember that now - one of the maps had a spawn point in a shower and when I played that once the enemy team were laying in wait at the exit. I think this is where the class/ability system will come in really handy for getting out of these situations (one of your team "cloaks" to escape, another one sets up a turret by the door, another one disguises himself as one of the enemy sneaks past and drops a grenade, etc.).

The thing with the KZ2 beta was that the gameplay was evolving as people played it (same thing happened in COD too).

13. TyFlip

TyFlip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

Now that actually sounds SWEET! More tactical!

14. phairplay

phairplay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    killzone all the way for me.
    COD WaW had it's chance to sort out the glitches, they knew KZ2 was coming out and would be a big threat. yet all they seem to have done is just sit on their hands. In another 6 months it will no doubt shift back to COD with the release of COD MW 2.

for now it's KZ2 all the way the weight, feel and look of the game just seems to out class any FPS out at the moment. True the story is nothing new but really how many times can you re-tell a story of war and keep it fresh. Yet the multiplayer side of things IMO is like nothing ever seen and thats KZ2 strength. a real contender for the best online FPS. Which COD4 still holds today. Where as COD WaW is really just a COD4 PATCH set in world war 2.

15. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i think the highpoint of waw is the multi coloured names , in fact i'm sure every game designer will be looking at that and thinking 'if only we'd thought of making flashing coloured name tags in our game instead of wasting all that time on silly things like plot development , detailed graphics and immersive surround sound'

kz2 could learn a LOT from the brilliant programmers at treyfart

16. TyFlip

TyFlip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

I'm diggin what you did right there!:thumbsup::rotfl:

17. Layitlow

Layitlow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    same as someone else said the theme I'm not into very much, would like it to be a more realistic type of game, however I really like the graphics and movement of the demo, the reloading, gun feeling etc is amazing but the aim being the r3 button and things like that put me off, it's a bit like rainbow six vegas 2 that I had, more slower gameplay and movement etc. I don't think I'll buy it mainly because of the theme of it but it's an ok game.

18. Genie1

Genie1
    Remembered (1979 - 2009)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Have you tried the different button combos?

Can't remember what the button layout was for RB6 but for COD players Alt2 is the closest match so there should be something easier to get accustomed to :smashin:

I won't be getting KZ2 on launch day (I'm waiting for RFOM2 to become cheap enough just for the SP) but may do further down the line. The theme doesn't interest me as much as say a COD, MoH, RB6, Full Spectrum Warrior or FEAR.

Plays very similar to GOW which I wasn't a big fan of but has a theme imo like a HALO which I played to death more so than COD.

19. musti

musti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

20. Vausey

Vausey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52

There's always room for more FPS's

Gonna spend my time on KZ2 and if the multiplayer isn't all that or a lot of you guys don't take to it I'll switch back to WaW - given there are 3 new maps and a new zombies level inbound I reckon there's room in my playing schedule for both :thumbsup:

21. goldwater666

goldwater666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    for me the Jury is still out on KZ2, yes it looks fab and yes it has a certain "weight" when you move and I agree will all the positive comments about the demo......but still I feel .....:confused:

Has as already been said do I need another FPS?

I already have COD 3,4&5 - QoS - RFOM 1&2 - Turok (love the bow & Arrow!) RB6V 1&2....Does KZ2 do anything new??

I think for me the AVF'ers reaction to the online MP will tip the balance...no pressure guys:D:D

22. snooper

snooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    The visuals look great but i prefer fps's like COD as their is more realism too them. Not overly keen on futuristic stuff, but having said that i am enjoying RFOM2, single player. I will probably not buy this unless people off here whos views i appreciate say its unmissable. Probably have a look at the new COD maps before i consider it, as they are more my type of FPS.

PSN maxy14

23. jjmoore

jjmoore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've played the demo once. First impression: Meh.

Seems too slow, bullet penetration doesn't seem as real and *** is the aiming about? Press the button and it LOCKS into aim view, real fluid... Will give the demo a few more tries but right now I'm not sure whether to cancel my pre-order or not.

24. Hubba-EX

Hubba-EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Switcth to Alt 2 controller set up with aim toggle off.

25. jjmoore

jjmoore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah I had Alt2 but didn't know you could turn that off, cheers, will see what difference this makes...

26. TyFlip

TyFlip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    what he said!:thumbsup:

I thought the very same at first. Sluggish, aiming overshoots etcetera.

I then persevered a little bit (something gamers these days don't seem to do and I suppose why should they, I however come from the old school where you had little choice lol) and tweaked the controls, sensitivity, lock etc and that now suits me to the ground!

The controls are unique to KZ2 that for sure. Some people like, some don't - you can please some of the people........

:smashin:

27. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,191
    Where you been hiding Ty. Me and Johnny missed your internet connection last night.:D Had a nightmare getting on together. i had to invite him into a game when there was space. :thumbsdow

Back on topic. Alt 2 with Zoom toggle off FTW. If your used to COD like me then thats the closet setting to it.

28. TyFlip

TyFlip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Oi oi doodio, I've just got my new headset so will be on tonight.

I've been hammering Fallout 3. I bought it on release day, completed the main campaign (without adventuring or doing any side quests) only for that to be it - unable to carry on! Subsequently I traded it in and have just purchased it again. Absolutely loving it mate!

You know of any secrets btw???

Back on topic.

Yep ALT2 is the closest to COD. I'm tempted to just play the normal default controls just to see what that's like.:thumbsup:

29. Floor Tom

Floor Tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    played it last night. I thought it was very fiddly but I never changed the controls so its my own fault really. If the buttons can be mapped just like COD then I think I would really enjoy it. Even if I can get it close, ie hold L1 for aiming and have R3 as the close quarters attack I think it would be better. The cover system will take a bit of getting used to but I think it could be really good. Did Kilzone on the PS2 have it? I finished that game but cant remember :rolleyes:

I do realise that I sound like a total cod fanboy but I dont care :D

30. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,191
    Alt 2 is L1 aiming and R3 CQ. Make sure you turn the toggle aim off in the settings to so that you hold down L1 to aim and not press on and off.

Ty. Just recently got platinum trophy on Fallout so if i can help just ask. My main tip would be save often and have multiple saves.