COD and broadband connection

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Saul T Nuts, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Saul T Nuts

Saul T Nuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Quick question for all you technical bods out there.

I am thinking about switching from SKY to Virgin as it turns out that we live in Virgin Media fibre optic cable area, which in theory means we could get their 100mb internet package.

I'm currently on SKY broadband with their unlimited download broadband package and my account states that my download speed has been set to 14.3 mps in order to maintain a steady and solid connection.

To be fair I haven't really experienced massive lag problems with SKY, particularly on COD so I guess I'm a bit loathed to change something that isn't currently broken.

In terms of pound notes the Virgin media package works out similar to my current SKY media subscription so there is no financial benefit to switching.

I guess my question then is will this super dooper fibre optic connection really land the monster speeds suggested and if so, can I assume that any game with a lag compensation model built in (no names) will be rendered almost unplayable as a result ?

Cheers

2. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    i`d be careful bud as I was under the impression Virgin practise "throttling" at peak times which might see your speed drop rapidly. I nearly switched to them last year as i`m in a fibre optic area too but on doing some research/reviews I saw enough to put me off. I`d ask some people on with Virgin first to be honest.

3. DR Kronenbourg

DR Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    If your not a big downloader and your COD plays well with the connection I would stick with what you have, there has always been speculation over the way virgin handles gaming also but I'm not to sure of the details maybe someone else can chip in if I haven't imagined it, tbh I would love a 14meg speed, I have 5.5:rotfl:

4. Neil_H

Neil_H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    As mentioned the bandwidth is only useful if you do a lot of downloading, and it's also important to remember you need a good source to download from or it won't fill your 100mb anyway. If gaming is your main priority, I think it's best to stick with what you know. If you have a stable connection then I would try and keep it, you could end up with a lower ping but more packet loss which can be far worse than a higher but more stable ping.

I'm on Be Unlimited which is up to 24meg I think, but I get around 10meg and it's superb (except on MW3 obviously).

5. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,770
    I wouldn't touch Virgin with a very long barge pole. I have their 50meg BB and it is just not very good for gaming in my opinion.

Also, their customer support us without doubt the worst I have ever had to deal with. I have had nothing but problems from them.

Have a look at the Virgin forums, if that doesn't put you off nothing will.

Gaming - Help & Support Forum

6. Rocket_Man

Rocket_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The 100Mb/10Mb package does not get throttled and the 50Mb/5Mb package may get throttled on the upload speed if your uploading allot (torrents probably, since that generates upstream data too).

There are some real horror stories on the virgin support forums where some areas seem to have been over-sold and the actual speeds and pings of troubled areas are totally unusable. But of course happy customers do not go posting on the support forums.

I'm on the 50Mb/5Mb package and have never been throttled, or at least i never noticed if i was. I don't download allot though. My connection always tests above 42Mb down and mostly 48Mb down / 4.8Mb up.

MW2 was a dream on this package. The only problems i had was when dumped into French lobbies.

Black Ops was totally unplayable at launch and i gave in until March. After then it played very well, but still not like MW2.

MW3 was totally unplayable for the first few weeks, not that i stopped but i was raging.... Always behind the action and dead by the time you see someone, game after game....

Now MW3 plays well 99% of the time. There are the odd games which start with me behind the action and i can't do anything but the game turns around and sorts itself. This feels like people are nerfing their connections pre-game so the compensation helps them but then it re-calculates mid game and works out well.

I personally wouldn't go back to ADSL as i can't fault Virgin after 3 years. At the same time I'm not sure i would try and fix something that isn't broke either!

7. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
    If you are on sky make sure you get them to put you on gamer profile otherwise you are guaranteed to get owned

8. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Agreed. I could only get into <125ms ping games before I got put on a gaming profile but now I'm down to 50-75 ms games.

Your better off emailing them though as the call centre didn't have a clue what a 'gaming profile' was

9. dave_turk

dave_turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Can't say I've noticed a great deal of difference with being put on the gaming profile. I've generally always been in the <50 - <70 bracket (except late at night when I'm playing against US, Netherlands, German etc).

Biggest impact on my connection is taking xbox out of the DMZ. Put it back in last night so NAT back open and played ok for a change.

10. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,770
    What I have noticed with Virgin is that there is a big compatability issue with BT Infinity.
    I play with a few people with Infinity and when one of them gets host I have terrible games but when I am host they struggle.
    As Infinity/Virgin usually have the lowest pings, one or the other is always host so there is always someone in our party that struggles.

11. steb9780

steb9780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I used to have Sky unlimited, was getting around 6meg d/l and about 1meg u/l, with a 40 m/s ping. I have had virgin 50mb in for a few months now, and the difference is unreal. Took a week for the new internet to stabilise, but I get a constant 50.42meg download and 4.8 upload with a 13 m/s ping. I get host on the majority of occasions. My k/d on cod has even come up by around by about 0.2 in the last month.

The way I would describe the difference is when I used to shoot right into somebody then I just used to drop dead from there one bullet. Then on the killcam I didn't even get a round off.....well now its me that is on the giving end of the killcam ;-)

I cannot comment on there customer services and the like though. As I have had no problems yet. I must say though I was more than happy with sky. But in the end the broadband that virgin can offer is far superior in my area to the standard phone lines (i'm a few miles from the exchange). Also alot of the complaints around june/july of last year with regards to virgin, where supposedly fixed with a new firmware update for there new routers.

Hope that helps you mate. And as I say I am only giving you my personal experiences of the 2 internet providers.

12. MarlonSays

MarlonSays

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I've got the 50 meg VM package and have had a year or so of hell, so am switching to Infinity. Funnily enough, for the last three weeks I've actually had a really good connection to MW3 and I've been able to play the game fairly and squarely for a change.

Have to say this is the exception rather than the rule. I've never had anywhere near the 50meg promised, though upload has always been a rock solid 5meg. Frequent outages and packet loss however, means it's just not dependable at all.

Moving on to their 'technical' support....holy Jesus, what a nightmare! Have you ever tried to order a pizza in McDonalds??

Being fair, this only applies to the outsourced support in India (but you get through there 19/20 times anyway, so that's what you'll be dealing with). I can't fault their UK based staff, but you can never get to speak to them!

Final straw came the other night when I called about the 25% packet loss on the line...after a good twenty minutes of this poor girl struggling like hell to get any understanding of what I was saying (her English, not mine), she actually said to me.."Sir, we cannot help you if you've lost a package, you'll have to call the courier company or the Royal Mail".:eek: :laugh:

I swear to God..

That's the one that smashed the camels back for me.

13. Nozey

Nozey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,283
    Virgin Fibre is supposed to be poor for gaming. I've got 20mb and havn't been able to play COD. Now I'm not saying that Virgin is the cause of that, but it's worth having a read of the forums on the virgin media website. Theres someone on there who uses his virgin media connection for streaming and D/L's and keeps an ADSL connection for his xbox, because of the lag issues.

I've looked into this myself at length and havn't come up with a clear answer either way. I got a good deal with virgin ( price wise) and I've decided it's not worth me changeing even though I've had to retire from online COD. There's loads of people who don't seem to have problems though. I think it's fair to say you'll not get any guarantees either way so you've got to decide what's best for you, and take the whole package into account.

14. neil_neil

neil_neil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    im with virgin and hardly have any worries with lag at all
    only when im host i get worries but probably coz im on the 10meg package
    im sure half these horror stories are from people just wanting attention

ive been with them 5 years now and a thumbs up from me

15. av-irgin

av-irgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Do you have the new sky router? Maybe I was putting my xbox into DMZ wrong,but does your router reboot when you put an ip address into DMZ? Things seemed to improve for me taking it out but I may give it another try if I'd done it wrong before.

16. dave_turk

dave_turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No it doesn't reboot when I put it in the DMZ (I don't think anyway). I'll have a look tonight.

17. Voldemort

Voldemort
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    If you can get it, switch to BE. Greatest customer service and they have user controlled broadband profiles that you can switch off and on including a game one. When I was with them, I had a ping of 13. They are the best ISP in the country by a long shot.

Wouldn't touch Virgin unless I didn't game and just wanted to leech the torrents or usenet. Ping is king when gaming, bandwidth is a secondary concern.

18. av-irgin

av-irgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So I must of done it wrong to begin with (when I first joined sky). Put it back into DMZ last night,router didn't reboot and the game improved again. Backed out of only about 5 in 30 games instead of the usual 60%. I actually really like this game when it plays well.

19. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Since getting BT Infinty I have noticed mw3 has improved BUT I do get host 90% of the time. Coincidence?

20. martpu

martpu
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I'm guessing you're on their 'up to 10mb' upload service (Option 2) which is what I'm on and would say I'm host about 90% of the time whereas before on BT Total Broadband, when I was getting about 0.50mb up, that dropped to about 10%.

MW3 was awful for the first few weeks on Infinity but I gotta say, whilst still far from perfect, it feels much much better now.

21. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Yes on option 2. I got it about a week after the 'host lag' update

22. martpu

martpu
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Good timing! That update has definitely made a difference. It was literally impossible winning a 1v1 pre update but post update its the complete reversal, at least for me anyway.

Still get some odd moments emptying clips into people to no avail but they are few and far between compared to those pre update.

Absolutely enjoying the game far more now when I was very close to trading it in.

23. white91

white91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Be happy with what you have got as i get 1.4mb!! This game is unplayable for me

24. Zooks

Zooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Shouldn't make a huge difference. whats your ping like as this is what counts.

25. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,396
    I'd stick with what you have, I've never had any issues with lag/hosting on any call of duty. I'm with BT ADSL as shown below. Slow by many peoples standards but most importantly my online play is pretty much rock solid.

[​IMG]

26. white91

white91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    tested at 79ms

27. martpu

martpu
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    That's not gonna help things I'm afraid mate. What ISP are you with?

28. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,396
    I thought jitter and packet loss were the main issues rather than ping rate. To be fair with COD working as it does you could have a 5ms ping if the host is 10 miles away, but a 200ms ping if the host is in NYC. Some random ping test doesn't really tell you much IMO.

29. martpu

martpu
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    That certainly won't help but I'm guessing (as I'm no geek on the matter!) that if say you and a friend lived very close, done a ping test to the nearest same server and one of you had a ping of 79ms and the other say 15ms, then surely that would benefit the one with the lower ping when playing online?

But as you say, with the way COD is, I don't think it necessarily matters how good/bad your ping/packet loss/jitter is!

30. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,396
    Yes, I would agree. If you all ping the host and one has a much higher ping than others he will be at a disadvantage. I usually ping google.com a few times every now and then, so I can have some idea if anything is changing, and I pretty much always get 37-39ms.