Cocktail Audio X10 Discussion, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm new here and hoping to learn more about the X10 and generally expand my poor knowledge of all things HiFi and technological. I'm hoping to buy an X10 at some point in the near future, catch up with modernity and go digital. It might be hard work to get to grips with at first but it sounds like it's just what I need. At least there seems to be a lot of good advice and support around, especially on here.

Firstly, does anyone know how the X10 is at driving Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s using it's inbuilt amp?

Hi everyone. I'm new here and hoping to learn more about the X10 and generally expand my poor knowledge of all things HiFi and technological. I'm hoping to buy an X10 at some point in the near future, catch up with modernity and go digital. It might be hard work to get to grips with at first but it sounds like it's just what I need. At least there seems to be a lot of good advice and support around, especially on here.

Firstly, does anyone know how the X10 is at driving Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s using it's inbuilt amp?

I think your speakers have a nominal impedence of 6 ohms the X10 has 8 ohm output so could possibly be over loaded at full wack

Thanks Hamish.

I don't own the Wharfedales but read somewhere they were the best speakers under £100. Would I be better off sticking with the Cap 10s or can you recommend any 6ohm speakers in that sort of price range that would match the X10 nicely?

IMHO the variance in 6 or 8 ohm is nothing to worry about, you'll soon hear the clipping if you over stress the amp.

The 9.1 has no amp-hurting, really low dips in impedance and is quite sensitive, so easy to drive.

Last edited:
IMHO the variance in 6 or 8 ohm is nothing to worry about, you'll soon hear the clipping if you over stress the amp.

I would have thought the amp could produce about 25% more power and thus heat than intended (with very little heat sinking ) worst case .

My kids would definately not care about clipping only volume

I've tried 6ohm speakers in the back of the cocktails and they dont work (I didnt spot they were 6ohm until I started diagnosing why they wouldnt work)

Hi, I`m hoping that this will be my last post to the forum as everything is working perfectly on my Audible X10 now.

I first loaded all my cds onto the X10 in WAV format, and uploaded the art work from Amazon using a memory stick. I then put some of the albums and some album tracks into a play list, and everything worked fine.

Then I purchased some singles (Hollywood Nights/Bob Seger and stuff like that) from Amazon and up loaded them onto DB on my X10 using the same memory stick. Then I added the singles to my Play List on the X10 together with the albums that I had ripped earlier.

And thats when the X10 started locking up. To cut a long story short, I deleted the singles from the X10. Then Kimberz suggested that I burn a cd with the singles on it from my laptop, then upload the cd to the X10.

This I have done and my X10 works perfectly. So if the memory stick had something on it, I don`t know. I just know that uploading from cd works for me.

So, I have to thank all those who have helped me get set up, and to the people I have purchased my X10 from for their patience.

Best wishes, :)

Thanks Hamish.

I don't own the Wharfedales but read somewhere they were the best speakers under £100. Would I be better off sticking with the Cap 10s or can you recommend any 6ohm speakers in that sort of price range that would match the X10 nicely?

If you look for speakers under the £100 mark and having 8 ohms, you should find that you have quite a good choice.
I have the CAP10's and must say that for £80 they're not bad at all.
Bear in mind where the X10 is going to be used though.
The internal amp is good and adequate for a small to medium size room or flat etc, but its not going to shake the roof!
if it's to be used in a larger room I would personally use an external amp with larger speakers.
You takes yer pick!

Thanks again man. It's going to be in a medium sized living room and I don't usually raise the volume very high unless I'm wearing headphones.

Hi, I have been ripping my CDs, but now I encountered a problem: when editing track names etc my Audio Cocktail became unresponsive to any editing. It plays the ripped music ok, but how do I get it working again? Any suggestions most welcome...

Then the CAP 10's and the built in amp should be just fine :smashin:

I agree, they're not bad speakers for the price tbh. If you can get a decent bundle price - there are few around (not just us :)) then its even cheaper and not a bad setup.

Now that they've updated to a recent release of freedb to then there isnt too much t'internet traffic to get the album art for the new stuff.

I quite like these little boxes, we've decided not to do a low end ripping media server (removing the option from our selection) and recommend these.

Having spoken to the guys who get them into the UK, there are some great things to come too, so I'm glad I opted for them :)

Hi all

I am looking at getting a media player to connect to an AV system remote from the X10, primarily for playing FLAC files from the X10. Has anyone any recommendations and/or experience of a low cost device to do this. It wouldn't need wireless connectivity as I would be using Powerlines.

Thanks v m

Hi, I have been ripping my CDs, but now I encountered a problem: when editing track names etc my Audio Cocktail became unresponsive to any editing. It plays the ripped music ok, but how do I get it working again? Any suggestions most welcome...

What format did you rip to?
If you chose to rip to anything other than WAV, the x10 first rips the CD's as WAV files then converts them to your chosen format and if you don't wait until it's converted the files (and it does take a while) before doing anything like editing file details the x10 can sometimes get a bit stroppy.

Hi all

I am looking at getting a media player to connect to an AV system remote from the X10, primarily for playing FLAC files from the X10. Has anyone any recommendations and/or experience of a low cost device to do this. It wouldn't need wireless connectivity as I would be using Powerlines.

Thanks v m

As Wingrider implied Patience is a vertue with the X10 I think we are all so used to CPU,s doing a few gigs we forget the X10 is 600 Meg CPU and operations such as loading Graphics involves a lot of slow hard work for it converting the image into 3 differing sizes

When loading a lot of images I find do a couple and go away for a wile works fine

:boring:

What format did you rip to?
If you chose to rip to anything other than WAV, the x10 first rips the CD's as WAV files then converts them to your chosen format and if you don't wait until it's converted the files (and it does take a while) before doing anything like editing file details the x10 can sometimes get a bit stroppy.

Hi Wingrider, I am using only WAV. I also note that I cannot rip anymore, nor can I for instance create playlists. So effectively my Cocktail Audio has been reduced to a music player, nothing else. I have ripped some 600 CDs, but have still a long way to go with the rest of my collection. Frustrating...

I currently have my x10 going thru a Beresford DAC,then onto a lil T-Amp.Problem is so many of my albums on the x10 have different volume levels so I'm forever jumping up to turn up/down the volume. I've seen a decent looking T-amp on Ebay (Topping TP32) with a remote control, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular make/model? And would it be suitable for the x10?
UPDATE: Just read that this Topping has a built in DAC...Now,with me already having a seperate DAC would that just not confuse things,or would I be better using just the Toppings built in DAC? (If I buy one,that is.)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200734232945?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
looks like the CA Forum is down - getting message:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, 123-reg support and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Got this yesterday too

Yes -- there's something slightly amusing about their forum being down... It must have "crushed" ... :)

UPDATE: Just read that this Topping has a built in DAC...Now,with me already having a seperate DAC would that just not confuse things,or would I be better using just the Toppings built in DAC? (If I buy one,that is.)
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Thanks for that info...
Interesting little product.. at that price it's worth buying one and having a play!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for that info...
Interesting little product.. at that price it's worth buying one and having a play!
It's had good reviews from what I've seen.So do you think it would go nicely with the x10? Suppose if I got one I could try it with and without my own DAC.Saying that,30+ years of listening to heavy metal has made my hearing a bit worse for wear so odds are I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom