• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Coca Cola in glass bottles

Steven

Senior Moderator
Why is it only the original version is sold in glass bottles? No love for diet

As an aside, anyone know where you can buy Coca Cola in glass bottles with the opaque/translucent shiny red labels? Not the clear labels with white writing

Thanks

_dark_blu

Established Member
My local Sainsbury's sells both types (packs of 6) in glass bottles with the white printing on the bottle (no label as such).

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Rarely see them around here, but Tesco did an offer on them recently, 6 pack of either regular or diet Coke, white print, no label.

I bought 12 of the coke 6 packs, the wife is addicted and they taste so much better from glass bottles, so I bought her a ton of them for Valentines.

Simba

Distinguished Member
MMm i love coca-cola in the glass bottle....shame it costs so much though...

i stacked up loads on the 6 bottles for £2 offer after the World Cup :)

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Maybe glass and plastic alter the flavour over time. Scotch Whiskey get it's colour from the oak casks it's stored in. You can definitely tell the difference between oak conditioned cider and your cheap strongbow.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I've always thought that. I filled an empty glass coke bottle with coke from a plastic bottle and it didn't taste the same.

Anyone care to explain why?

Glass is more inert than plastic or the polymer coating the aluminium in cans, so will be a "truer" coke flavour. Or at least, that's one of the arguments. Coke deny any difference and put it down to perceptive psycological changes based on drinking rituals :rolleyes:

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
am i the only one who thinks coke tastes better out of them glass bottles than a can or a plastic bottle?

Well since I said it first...

I bought 12 of the coke 6 packs, the wife is addicted and they taste so much better from glass bottles, so I bought her a ton of them for Valentines.

:laugh:

It's the same for other drinks. They have a different taste in plastic bottle, glass bottle and cans. Plastic is the worst of the 3, cans have a slightly better taste but glass is best.

The wife is now scouting around to find glass bottles of Red Bull for me!

Dony

Distinguished Member
My wife has passed a taste test of plastic vs can, conducted by my good self!

Surely she would be able to tell the difference between a plastic bottle opening and a can opening?
Or did you pour them into a glass each and she found they tasted different?

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Surely she would be able to tell the difference between a plastic bottle opening and a can opening?

I'm sure he would have poured them into a glass - that doesn't change anything.

I've read the change in a can is because the polymer absorbs something and the plastic bottle has something in it which can get in to the liquid inside it... how true that is though I'm not sure.

Dony

Distinguished Member
I'm sure he would have poured them into a glass - that doesn't change anything.

I've read the change in a can is because the polymer absorbs something and the plastic bottle has something in it which can get in to the liquid inside it... how true that is though I'm not sure.

But to get a true taste difference, wouldn't they both need to have been produced on the same day, then stored and transported in exactly the same way.

I'm a coke addict, drinking at least a litre of the stuff everyday. I never put the plastic bottles in the fridge, because once opened they go flat very quickly, but stored in the cupboard they keep their fizz. I've found the opposite to be true when I buy cans (unopened cans go off quicker in the cupboard than they do in the fridge). My wife works in a wholesalers, so we buy bulk and the bottles/cans can sit around for a while.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
But to get a true taste difference, wouldn't they both need to have been produced on the same day, then stored and transported in exactly the same way.

I'm a coke addict, drinking at least a litre of the stuff everyday. I never put the plastic bottles in the fridge, because once opened they go flat very quickly, but stored in the cupboard they keep their fizz. I've found the opposite to be true when I buy cans (unopened cans go off quicker in the cupboard than they do in the fridge). My wife works in a wholesalers, so we buy bulk and the bottles/cans can sit around for a while.

Not really, to get them EXACTLY the same, sure, but you can get it as good as the same by producing it in the same way, just as they do with crisps, sweets and other goods. Most people can't tell the difference between different batches of drinks as they generally have as good as the same - but some can tell the difference between the drinks if they have been packaged differently.

I guess it depends how good someone is at picking out a different taste. Some people wont notice anything.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
I reckon I could tell the difference between can and plastic. I am not a fan of the plastic.

You can buy glass bottles at Booker Cash and Carry.

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Dony said:

A litre a day?!

Do you have any teeth left?

Dony

Distinguished Member
I reckon I could tell the difference between can and plastic. I am not a fan of the plastic.

You can buy glass bottles at Booker Cash and Carry.

I can tell the difference as well, but I wouldn't always say that cans taste better. If both are stored in the fridge, I prefer cans, but if both are keep in a cupboard I prefer plastic.

It's been years since I drank coke from a glass bottle.

Dony

Distinguished Member
A litre a day?!

Do you have any teeth left?

Yup...and all my own. :smashin:

I shouldn't really admit this, but I went 24yrs without going to the dentist and when I did eventually go back, the dentist couldn't believe how good my teeth were.
I'm also a smoker.

Last edited:

DrPhil

Distinguished Member

Yup, poured a can and a bottle into glasses, (actually 6 glasses, 3 of each source) and she got them right all 3 times.

She used to drink over a litre a day too, but has cut down to probably 1 can/bottle a day and sometimes none. There's no doubt it's addictive to some extent, probably the caffeine. She went "cold turkey" a few times and God was she a grumpy bitch!

She fell off the wagon and started again and a few times since then when she's gone off it I've got her back on because she was driving me nuts with her bad moods!

Scary stuff...

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom