Cobra gone - does this change anything?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by FRANTIC FRANC, Sep 18, 2007.

1. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    :lesson:
    Does it ****!!! So Sky have finally booted them out (they are one of the biggest contractors Sky used). Not so great for subbies as they have left owing us money that we will never get (ripped off yet again working on behalf of Sky! WHAT A JOKE).

So did Sky take my advice and give the work direct to installers... no they didn't basically all subbies (or sub subbies) will just be getting ripped off by another big contract company who are just paying us exactly the same minimal rates as Cobra did.

So obviously for customers this means no change in service at all, the same engineers will be doing the job at the same rates as before, hence the problems are still going to be the same.

When are the suits at Sky going to realise that good quality installs go hand in hand with good pay rates! (we'd be happy with merely FAIR rates!).

Ever wondered what things would have been like if Sky and BSB hadn't merged and were still in competition for customers?

Cheers, Franc

2. GMT

GMT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    so sky have stopped using cobra engineers?

about time likes.

first line digital and avc aint that good either mind you.

3. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    No chance of all getting together and forming your own contract company?

4. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You don't say! AVC is the company that have taken over! Sky should take responsibility for bad management decisions and pay us what we are owed!

Cheers, Franc

5. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Sadly Sky don't care about quality installations - they just want companies that can take massive volumes of work.

for example , I used to work for a small company that employed about 10 engineers. We had the best completion rates and callback rates in the country and how did Sky repay us... they gave all the work to Cobra! :thumbsdow

Cheers, Franc

6. skytecbvmo

skytecbvmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello again franc,
    I have given up with sky and the time slot system and have now left for good in fact 4 mth's ago but i can tell you that firstline have taken a large chunk of cobras area i subbied for firstline and have been asked back but with all this time slot and h&s bull i'm never going back i'm well out of it and happy for the 1st time in 8 years.
    Skys motto god this is working to well lets change it and upset the installers:devil: :p

7. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86

You are right skytecbvmo, since the am/pm fiasco started we've basically taken yet another paycut. They expect us to criss cross towns/counties at our own expense, my average mileage a day has gone from about 80miles a day to over 150 a day! What really gets up my nose is the statement on the back of Sky vans "Sky a carbon - neutral company"! How can they justify that if engineers are now doing double the mileage than ever after the am/pm came in. Well of course actual employed Sky engineers don't do more than 15 miles a day (obviously because Sky have to pay for their fuel) but most of the work is done by us mugs!

I will soon be joining you skytecbvmo as I'm just not making enough money to justify the hassle any more. Can't even find the £800 to pay the repair bill for the engine on my van (thanks to the high mileage we've been doing!!)

Cheers, Franc

8. skytecbvmo

skytecbvmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Well franc,
    When they got into this system they also got a program called truck stop i was always routed from office in brum back home to telford by hand. In the first place b4 i picked up my tools to do a job i was doing 100 miles + that was my choice and was happy at that then truck stop wanted me to do a pm and a am call in brum same in wolvs or where ever.
    On a plus point i have a 1999 t plate expert van with 78000 miles on the drive doing nout with full mot i want £1600.00 for it with full roof rack and full roller bar good solid work horse.
    If you would like and your vans done i'll list this for sale here on the forums mods just trying to help a fellow out here and would set up a sale in the none av sale forums if franc wanted just aint got round to selling the van.
    And i bet your having to use rg6 now to keep the costs down now you cannot charge pants.
    good luck i'll keep a eye here regards the van and do what forum rules need me to do if you would want a look regards pete

9. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86

The whole of our depot now uses RG6, If they want us to use the good stuff they need to supply it for us at subsidised prices. Thanks for the offer of the van but to be honest I'm not that bothered about continuing either.

I think we should grass Sky up to whoever and get them to remove that "carbon neutral" crap in shame from the back of Sky vans.

Cheers, Franc

10. skytecbvmo

skytecbvmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Yes but the carbon thing works for sky installers cuz they dont run all over the place.
    And to be fair i dont care what anyone says most subbies work to a better std then a sky installer due to the fact if mess up there home we pay and have to put it right not sky so think no the wheres there blame theres a claim crew. Anyway im behind you 100% and if you can find someone that will do something about these things that are a problem pm me and i'll back u up but i'm never coming back to the job.:p

11. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  12. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    LOL - yeah right. If you work 24 hours a day and do less than 10 miles a week average.

The top earner at out depot gets about £1000 a week but this is turnover not profit, he does about 20 installs per day & covers up to 200 miles, probably works 14 hours a day (yes we all think he is mad!)

Taking the cost of cable, consumables, fuel, van running costs, damage claims, & non paid jobs (which is very common) his annual profit would be nearer £20k. I can't see anyone working more than this guy!!

An example of Sky's thinking:- they say we should not represent Sky using a van older than 3 years. Lets say new van costs £10,000 - an installer who gets paid on average £22 per install (lets say £7 of that is expenses to do the job) would have to do over 650 installs just to pay for the van!

Cheers, Franc