1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaxial

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mobily, Sep 2, 2005.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

What is the best type of co-axial cable out there to use? I know that double shielded is best but is there a particular brand that is better than others?

If I were to purchase Telewest would it be worth getting some decent co-axial to replace the cheap stuff the engineer will bring to plug into the Telewest box from the wall?

At the moment I have co-axial cables purchased from argos which was advertised as 'shielded quality cable'. It cost more than their basic cable which looked cheap and nasty.

Any cabling advice gratefully received.

2. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hi mobily,

I replaced my coaxial cable to my Telewest STB with Mark Grant coaxial (see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101717), and I think the picture has improved because of it, but by how much it's hard to say. Not that this is a criticism of the cable, which is top quality, but probably more down to the wall point quality and cable prior to it which could already have affected the signal.

Personally though, I'm glad I changed it, just so I know that I'm not sitting here with a 'weak' link in my system! :D

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't go wrong with CT100, look out for copper shielding (which is the best) and foamed filled dielectric cores (better than air filled). As for Argos, wouldn't buy a thing from them :rolleyes:

4. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice. Do the Mark Grant cables come with connectors on the end?

However as rob mentioned above is it worth investing in quality cable if there is a weak link earlier on in the system i.e. the telewest box or cheap aerial from rooftop aerial to wall socket?

Finally, is the connector required from the Telewest box the same as from any ordinary wall socket?

5. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cable Telewest supply is not cheap crap.
    It is better than CT100 as it is foam dielectric and is much more lower loss that CT100.
    You would not see an improvement using Mark Grant coaxial
    I think you should all learn some facts before giving advice.

6. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Did anyone giving advice say the TW cable was cheap crap? I merely stated that I doubted if the cable I had purchased was able to make an improvement at the last stage of the cable run. Perhaps you should read before criticising.

Yes, they come with top quality canare connectors.

Like I said originally, it's down to personal choice.

7. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll back that up, :smashin:

:lesson: what do you think is linked from the road to your house???? Thought about replaceing that- because theres more of that than the lead that some people replace from the inside box on the wall to the digibox? LOL.

If you could improve your singals i think i might apply it to something else;

i'm on telewest internet, (using same lead as TV, there is a split in TV line to digibox and internet) if it improves TV maybe if i replace the coxial lead to modem it will improve my connection, of course using Mark Grant cable. IMHO don't think so :nono:

Digital Signals are not affected in the same way as analouge singals, any picture improvement is sociological. Its kinda sad to see people wasting money on pure rubbish.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm not sure that it is good practice to present your opinions as scientific fact and to disparage others who's views are different to yours.

You made the same point (equally forcefully) in answer to another post last night to which someone answered as follows :-

I replaced the cheap digital cable connecting my DVD player to my amp with a better quality one made by Mark and I did notice an improvement in sound quality but perhaps that's just me being "sociological"

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    or delusional?

Please see http://www.magnani.net/~al/DigitalWireLabTest.html :

"So just to recap this thing to death, we had: The professional Sony S7000TP reference DVD player, going to a 20 year old, ugly green, RCA patch cord which was cut in two. On one side of the green RCA I soldered a blue painted wire hanger to the shield and another to the center conductor. I soldered the other ends of the wire hangers to the other half of the ugly green RCA patch cord. We then clipped the alligator clips with thin wire to the centers and shields of the RCA connectors of my cable and of the Canare cable, and then plugged the other XLR-balanced side of the Canare into the Dolby Labs decoder. I honestly did not know how badly we would be rolling errors on this one... and with open, scientific minds, we played a DVD... "

Obviously, this guy cheated. No rust on the wire! ;-)

"Are you all sitting down? Good. We played the King Crimson Deja VROOM DVD for over fifteen minutes with this configuration and not only did it sound good, but the Dolby Decoder reported ZERO errors... Did you all get that ok? ZERO, nadda, nihil, zippo, nothing, none... error-free. Given that, there was not much point in trying the higher quality cables I had brought with me."

"Conclusion: IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU USE FOR YOUR DIGITAL CABLE CONNECTION BETWEEN YOUR DVD PLAYER AND YOUR PROCESSOR... YOU CAN BASICALLY USE ANYTHING THAT LOOKS ELECTRICALLY LIKE METAL. IT WILL WORK JUST FINE. (Between the coax connectors that is... I have not successfully used the wire hangers on the tos-link optical connectors... yet...) If you like you can hook the shield on one side to one of your Rodan bronze statues, and the other shield to somewhere else on the statue, and then hook the center conductors to another Rodan bronze, and it will work JUST FINE. The sonic clarity will be stunning, as well as visually pleasing."

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    are you so sure you are right and everyone else is wrong? I guess that confidence comes from the strong technical background / and experience you have to analyse all these things.

11. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I think mobily is asking about TV style coax connection from wall plate to digital TV box, thats not spdif,

Not sure what coax Rob-finch had before from wall plate, but the one he has now is a piece of quality coax with quality connectors.

Cant give an opinion on the picture at robs house, because I have never seen the picture at robs, and I only give opinions based on actual experience, unlike some people !

I dont make false claims about anything !

And for mobilys question, the Telewest engineer should use cable with copper foil and braid screening.

And as for brands, Webro is a quality make of TV/Satellite coax

Mark.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    :smashin:

13. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fair enough, I'd need to hear the differece. And i should'nt make so many strong comments.

we are talking the cable from the wall to the telewest box, now if there are any errors in that some please explain how my internet works fine with the same cable?

Also explain how the small lead from the wall box to the cable box is so important. If you look at the situation you are out replacing a small "link" compared to a large area. Theres a cable that connects you house to the road, thats longer than the cable inside your house! surely it i'd spend your money better on changing that? Its simply not worth changing a very small cable.

I give my opitions on scientific fact

pjclark1- link not working?

Going back to the start question, your not going to get better picture quality by changing the cable from the wall to the cable box. If you were to ask me if Mark Grants cable are high quality i would say Yes.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    As this isn't about 0s and 1s, internet will work fine, the signal gets down. The problems with all of these 'digital' cables is that they transmit more than just 0s and 1s and hence need screening (no coat hangers please). The receiving kit needs to be able to deal with this extra info, some kit is VERY good, others well less good. What you need to be able to do is provide the least 'polution' to this cable, therefore, there are MANY different grades of coax available which can make a difference. The old aerial people used to use very poor cable, Sat / cable peopl acually use some pretty decent grades, their stuff is actually very good (CT100 / 125). Marks stuff is generally about as good at it gets cable wise (belt and braces). In some circumstances it might just be over kill, in others it might be a life saver. Each set of circumstance will be different and everyone will see different effects but it does what it needs to technically, mind you I think the cable / sat supplier already give a decent cable anyway. But is fulfils the technical requirements with ease (whilst still being cheap)What I object to is miss information on any subject masquerading as facts. You will see more gans replacing normal analogue coax as the grade is of a lower quality generally.

I don't believe the small section from the wall is especially signifiicant unless you have problems. Do you see sparklies etc?

15. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello HD3,

You are welcome to borrow a simple piece of correctly terminated coax to try for free with your DVD/CD player, just send it back when tested.

(we are talking spdif from DVD/CD to AV amp/ Dac etc, as the cable will have Canare phonos)

If you have a decent AV amp etc, you might like it.

Just send me a message if interested.

Thanks,

Mark.

16. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Such as?

(i know they don't transmit 1s and 0s but we'll use that as the term)

The telewest box is almost a computer. And it is in fact receiving mpeg video. Just like your computer does.

17. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Mark, Sorry but i don't have a fully digital system. (I only work digital during time training in a sound studio, working with lighting (DMX) etc.

We are discussing the cable from the wall to the cabloe box.

I'm sure you cables are very good quality, if there is a fault in anybodys system, then you cannot go wrong using Marks cables, i'm sure they will work perfectly.

18. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yet another cable debate.....
    Digital COAX i've tried Mark Grants, Chord, Atlas and Nordost.
    The MG cable was a 1m BNC/RCA cable. Very well constucted, worked very nicely from a DVD player to a DAC64. Couldn't tell the difference between it and the £60 Atlas cable. As MG's is £40 cheaper....
    The Chord and Nordost cables were 1m BNC/BNC between a DAC64 and CD12. The Chord cables were superior. Cleaner and smoother. Nordost tended to be a little clinical sounding. Whatever they do they do it right.
    I'm no scientist and I don't plan on arguing my case. Just the fact that to me there was an audible difference. I don't know why. I would imagine termination would have a great deal to do with it though.

19. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    People will think you are mad Knightshade making claims like you can hear the difference between cables :devil: :D :) :) ;)

BNC to BNC should always be better than RCA , so that might be a little bit of the difference you notice between a BNC to BNC cable and BNC to RCA cable.

I do like CD/DVDs and DACS/AV kit with BNC connections, the way to do it correctly :)

Mark.

20. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    As KS has said this has been done dozens of times before, I am sure there is at least one long post by me explaining all this. (pages and pages of technical stuff)

21. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes, head on the block for sure.....:)

Definately. Annoying that it's almost impossible to get cheaper DVD players with 75ohm BNC connectors. :thumbsdow

22. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Link then? or just give me a idea to what else my telewest box needs that my internet doesn't. Also nobody has explained why its worth changing the lead from the wall to the box and not the lead running to the road. Not alot, apart from quailty of connection, but theres not normally a problem with this.

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    For the lazy we have a search engine on this forum. The search engine is at the top of you page on a pull down thingy, it is quite useful. For the bone idle we have stickies at the top of forums. If you care to walk all the way to the top of the threads list here (with breaks obvously) you will find a a group of useful info we call 'stickies'. They are put there to help people, including all you need to know about video cables. In their hides inc loads of info on how they work, how they are made, what does what, what is important, lots on coax and how cables work and includes a thing called science. In fact there are even suggestions on suitable cable to use. In there is just about everything you need for the answer :)

but if you don't understand it I am sure someone will help again.

Are you from the IT industry by any chance?

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    and people spend ages compiling them to stop people asking the same question over and over and over again. :(

25. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    to further my complete disregard for "correct" cabling obsessions I just decided to move my sky box to the other side of the house and didn't have any cable. I fed my existing sat wire into the loft, cut 2m off the end (with the F type connector attached) I then disconnected the TV aerial wire from the TV aerial and twisted the two cores and the two shields together. I now have the sat signal running into my house and into the UHF aerial socket on my living room wall. The two meter cable left over has the F type on one end and I connect a UHF male on the other. This connects my sky box to the wall socket. It all works perfectly with 75% signal, exactly what I originally had.

26. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Glad it works, should we all follow you example on how to do and will you advise everyone what to do when it doesn't?

27. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    What do you have against IT types Nic?;)

28. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    call it experience ;), they don't read manuals for starters and have an odd view of science and engineering :)

29. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Thanks Nic, I'll try not to take it personally.:D

30. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It proves fairly accurate in the past :) I have even won money on it, well beer anyway!!