coaxial??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by keyser, Oct 7, 2001.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I´m gonna get my denon 3802 this week and I´m wondering how im gonna plug my pioneer 737 dvd. I have it pluged with a scart rgb to my tv, but do I plug it optical or coaxial to my amp. If I plug the sound coaxial, does a normal phono plug work or do I need a special wire for this?

2. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    No, if you use the coaxial connection, you need a dedicated coaxial cable like the Ixos 105.
    Which is best coaxial or optical?
    Well that debate will go on forever and a day.
    Most specalist mags recommend coaxial, but it's up to you really.
    Have a look a www.ixos.co.uk
    Hope this is of some use.

Kevin

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    A norml phono will work, but it is best to use a proper 75ohm digital or video lead, like the Ixos 105. You should hear a difference in sound.

4. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The coaxial is just for audio when I plug it from my dvd to my amp isn´t it(the denon 3802 manual seems that I should plug it with two phonos, which I dont understand)? So I need the scart lead and a coaxial phono lead which has male on both ends(the local store here only has a coaxial phono lead with male-female ends)

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Keyser: For your DVD you should use a single coax cable between the dvd and the amp for your digital sound. For video ues an RGB capable SCART. or failing that you can send s-video through your amp.

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Two phonos are used if you are taking a two channel (l + r) outupt from the DVD player into the amp, on the DVD input round the back. To get the digital signal you need to use a 75 ohm cable, such as the ixos 105 mentioned above, and connect it between the digital co-ax output of your dvd player, and the digital co-ax input on your 3802, its at the bottom left as you look at the back, with the toslink connectors, you then need to go into the setup menu to reassign the digital inputs, as mine came set up with the CD set to the co-ax input, so yours might as well.

As for the video link, stick with the RGB scart from DVD to TV, as it gives a better picture than s-video, but you won't get the on screen display from the amp. I have also connected the s-video on mine so that i can use that for setting up, but switch to rgb when watching a film.

Ian
    [email protected]

7. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks alot for your help. I thougt that was the way I should do things, but wasn´t sure, and the fact that the guy at the local store is obviously a moron didnt help either. One last question, I live in iceland and cables and stuff are hard to find, where can I order a cheap and decent coaxial cable, some stores here sell profigold which seem to be quite good, but I didn´t see a 75ohm(they only had a coaxial cable that had male-female ends and didnt say anything about ohm´s) coaxial cable, do you know if they make them. Thanks again.

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: keyser ]

8. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What's the difference between using a standard phono to phono co-axial interconnect and the Ixos 105 "digital" type mentioned earlier in the thread? Surely there should be no difference as both types are made from an inner OFC conductor surrounded by plastic insulator, foil and screening and connecting plug/phono. I can't understand why one is more suitable for transmitting digital information (Ixos)as opposed to a "normal" phono which can be used for high quality audio connection. Aren't they both 75 ohm? I'm not sure if any difference will be heardover one type to the other.
    If anything, shouldn't a greater difference be heard when using the cables to transmit audio signals from a CD player etc. to amp, as opposed to feeding a digital signal from DVD player to co-ax amp input for DTS/5.1 use?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but please feed back and let me know. If I've already bought some quality phono inter-connects for audio use in the past, surely they must be good enough for 5.1/DTS purposes.

Slightly confused,

Regards

:confused:

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We all used to think the same, after all digital info is just on-off´s, until the audiophiles started hearing differences, wich got the engineers to look harder... then they found out that the on-off´s would bounce on the "walls" of the cables and produce jitter... and that would spoil PCM, the beautiful sound recorded on the CD´s, thats why you need the 75 ohm cables, and look for silver or you will be in trouble ;)

Now, they also found out that for DD and DTS, as they are heavily processed, it wont make that much difference...

Hope I helped you guys :cool:

10. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Lowrider,

You've confirmed my suspicions. It's good news in that I can now go to Maplin Stores, pick up some decent interconnect cable, quality phono plugs and make up my own leads and save myself a small fortune over pre-manufactured prices.

Regards ;)

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can also buy some connectors and SAT cable (75 Ohm) and make a cable yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron.

I agree to the fact the biggest difference between a normal interconnect and a "digital" cable is with CD sound (PCM) but not with Dolby Digital or DTS.

Anyhow, a "digital" cable is well worth the investment - or go optical, whichever suits you best.

12. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I've never used fibre optic before and whilst I appreciate there'll be no difference in sound, I fancy experimenting a little.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a good optical cable??

Regards

:rolleyes:

13. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don´t forget the 75 ohms...

14. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just for trying I would not invest too much for an optical cable, perhaps 15-20 of your funny currency. ;)

15. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the inputs. very helpful as usual.

Also, thanks Lowrider. I didn't realise that optical cables won't work with 96KHz players.

Appreciated.

Mark :)

16. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Optical cable is good for 48 mhz current players, but it wont handle the new 96...

17. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have looked for a cable now, on some cables it sais that it has a coaxial plug, whats that, I thought coaxial was RCA, and how do I know a cable is 75ohm, if it sais "digital coaxial cable" does that mean it is most likely 75ohm???
    p.s. can the denon 3802 use pro-logic2 with signals coming from two phono(stereo) plugs(not a digital signal, like the one from my future to be nintendo gamecube)
    Thanks.

[ 15-10-2001: Message edited by: keyser ]

18. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, just connect the two phono plugs from the analogue out of the Gamecube to the amp. AFAIK Rogue Leader is the first title to take full advantage of Pro logic II, but more are to follow.

19. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    RCA is coaxial technically speaking, not the other way around, as is e.g. RF (antenna cable).

However in AV use coaxial is referred to as a digital output.
    Cables labelled as "Digital" should be of the 75 Ohm (impedance) type.
    Normal RCA/phono/Cinch audio or video interconnects are 50 Ohm.

20. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why is it true that a console like my nintendo´s shouldn´t be plugged to a rear projection TV, why would that be. Is it only bad for rear projections?? And thanks for your very helpful replies.

21. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Computer/Console games tend to have large areas of the screen static, even fast moving games. This can cause 'screen burn', where the impression of a previos image remains (partially) visible all the time when not playing the game. RPTVs have Red Green & Blue tubes that are worked very hard, and are therefore more susceptable to screen burn than 'standard' TVs; though these too can sufferthe same effect.

There have been some excellent articles in Home Cinema Choice magazine, as well as a few threads on this forum, on this subject. I'm not sure whether the HCC article has made it 'on line' yet (I assume it's tricky for you to get HCC in Iceland!)