1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaxial to Phono

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Spazwunkle, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heyhey all

Had the problem for a loooong time but just haven't got round to doing anything about it.

Problem is...

For 5.1 sound, my DVD player only has a coaxial socket and no phono line, while my amp only has a phono line and no coaxial. Meaning an incompatability and being stuck with 2ch sound.

So I'm wondering if there is a seperate decoder box or wire to connect coaxials to phonos?

If so, how much would they cost?

Where would I get them from?

Or would it be easier to get a new amp, with a possible upgrade to DTS (my current amp doesn't house it)?

Trying to work out my best option (bearing in mind I'm a student :)) and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

:)

2. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Frist what amplifier and other hifi kit do you have?

The coaxial output from a DVD player is a digital output which must be pluged into a coaxial digital IN on a AV Receiver or Processor which is compatable with Dolby Digital and DTS.

To get the full benifit of DVD audio from movies you use the Digital out on the DVD player and you require a AV Receiver/Processor with output to at least 5 speakers and a subwoofer for LFE and bass. (5.1)

The Stereo L/R phono plugs are analoge and pass DVD audio mixed down to 2 channels and have the LFE bass channel thrown away, these are only used if you have a stereo hifi and not a full 5.1 system.

3. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Spazwunkle

Just to confirm, when you say phono do you actually mean optical.

Regards

James

4. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As above, I agree that it would help if you would state the two models (dvd player & AVamp). However, the lack of digital input into the AVamp, suggests that you have an older Dolby Pro Logic model, rather than a Dolby Digital 5.1 model. It's therefore time for an upgrade.

It was at that stage that I entered these Forums in October 2002.

If my assumption above is correct, let me know and I can offer a link to a potted history of my progress from there to here, involving several rounds of upgrades - some of which, though not stupid, you might wish to avoid/leap-frog.

ditton

5. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVD player is a Toshiba SD-2109

My amp is a Sony Integrated AV Amplifier TA-VE150 (as far as I can make out)

The amp has ports for 5.1 sound (rear left, centre etc) but no coaxial port.

DVD player has coaxial port only and no optical ports (those multi coloured ones :))

So amp and DVD aren't - or don't seem - compatible.

It's old kit, but I can't really afford anything else. But if it's nessecary, a new amp will be forked out :)

And please, any expierence of whats best to do for my unknowing self will be much apreciated :)

6. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again

You have 3 choices.

1) keep the amp and a get a dvd player which has 5.1 outputs on the back. This means a dvd player with an onboard Dolby digital decoder.

2) Get a new amp which has the decoders built in.

3) Try a buy a 2nd hand Dolby Digital Decoder from ebay or somewhere like that

Hope this helps

Jimmysil

7. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There isn't any kind of cheaper option like a seperate decoder box or something?

8. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I would do is one of the following:

a) If mostly interested in playing DVDs, then buy a s/h AV amp/receiver with 5.1 Dolby Digital capabilities, that is with coax digital input.

b) If delighting in music *is a top priority*, make sure that what you buy has 'pre-outs'

There are several s/h 5.1 AV amps that come up for sale here. You could begin by either posting a 'WTB: cheap-but-good 5.1 AVamp' thread in the Classified section, or posting a 'Want advice on cheap-but-good 5.1 AVamp' thread in the Amplifiers/Receivers section.

If all you want is (a) then there are real bargains. More recent AVamps have additional features like Dolby ProLogic 2, which enhance signals from the TV and from videos (for example). There will also be bargains, but they'll cost a bit more.

Good hunting

ditton

9. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes and no

Thats option 3 in my list, getting a Dolby digital decoder box.
    But only a 2nd hand one maybe cheap, you may still be looking at about £70 for a decoder.
    The problem is you can probably get a 2nd hand dvd player with the decoder built in for that.

But if you can get a different amp I agree with dittion15 that maybe the best option.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DVD player has coaxial port only and no optical ports (those multi coloured ones )

Hm, I think you confuse the connections - here the most common assignments:

White & Red RCA/phono connector - Audio L&R
    Yellow RCA/phono connector - Video (composite)
    Orange RCA/phono connector - Digital audio (coax)
    Red/Green/Blue RCA/phono connector - YUV/YPrPb/YCrCb aka Component video

Squarish connector with red light (don't look into it!) - optical (digital) audio out

White, red and black are usually used for the 6-channel (5.1) analog audio connection between DVD and amplifier.

Converters from optical to coax or reverse can be found at electronic stores, e.g. www.conrad.com

11. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the help guys, I think a new amp set is probably the best way to go :)

But I don't suppose you could give us a hand on recommending systems at about the £300 mark? (amp plus speakers)

Had a quick look around the forums and a couple of online retailers, but most of it goes over my head, since most of my knowledge only covers..."is it 5.1 or DTS? and does it have a coaxial port?" :)

So I don't suppose you could recommend some stuff for me? Decent systems or some review sites or online retailers?

Any help on this stuff would be a huge bonus

12. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there for that budget why not get an eltax libert package from richer sounds (150.00) and a pioneer VSXC100 amp for 150.00 as well. You could eitgher look on e-bay or this forum. The tosh dvd is a good player so I'd keep that for a while but this will be a worthwhile upgrade and you should be able to tade in your old kit at richer as well to give you some cash for some decent cables and interconnects.

Hope this is a help

Jasonb

13. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sounds like a good kit, at a good price. Thanks for the heads up Jason, I'll have a peek into Richer Sound this weekend. But what kind cables or connectors are nessecary? Do the amp/speakers come with its own?

I don't suppose you or anybody else could recommend a decent woofer to go with that kind of set up? Again, looking for good kit at good price (about £60 - £100 maximum)

Sorry to keep asking so many questions, I just want to be sure I'm getting the best for my situation. Considering my current amp was £400 for something that doesn't even do what I bought it for (I was completely oblivious to what was required)

14. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matching Eltax Sub 10 BEECH for 60.00. as regards interconnects and cable gale X189 for about 2.00 per meter would be good decent scart lead, look on the forum several good ones going cheap at the moment. Cam audio atlantic 10m sub cable from RS for 20.00 and a decent co-ax phono to phono profigold for about the same. You can always add decent interconnect later. I'd advise getting all the kit first and see if richer will throw in some stuff they usually do, to keep you going until you have a bit more cash and perhaps buy a new lead each month until you are sorted out. If you think of it as buying 1 or 2 less dvd's a month it's less of a strain. You really will have a quality system if you go for this lot. Then sit back and enjoy a few movies with a couple of mates and a few beers

Hope this helps

Jasonb:zonked:

15. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the eltax sub10 and it really is good value. It has stereo hi-level in out, variable crossover and phono connector for the .1 bit
    It is also better looking than a small coffee table that you'd get at IKEA for over £100 (sounds better too !)

16. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heyhey all, had a good look round the shops today for the recommended systems from this forum. So here's an update.. :)

Went to Richer Sound, but they didn't have the Pioneer VSX C100 in. I found those recommended Eltax Liberty Speakers there, but they seem to have gone up £100 in price and are far too big for my already full room :) Meaning satallite would probably be a better bet for me.

But when I went into George Henry Lee's, they had a Pioneer VSX C300 with a full speaker and woofer set for £330 set up in their demo room.

As far as I can tell, the speakers and woofer are a Pioneer S-V50-QL set.

So my questions are.... :)

What is the difference between Pioneer VSX C100 and the C300?

Is that Pioneer S-V50-QL speaker set a good buy?

The guy in the shop also said they where selling off the stock because they were most likely going to be replaced with a newer model, but there was no replacement models on order.

So would anybody know any news on this "replacement" pioneer model or what it could be?

Any help on this quickly would be greatly appreciated. Since they only had one in stock, with no future restocking.

17. Spazwunkle

Spazwunkle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

Sorry to be pushy, but I could do with finding out by tomorrow. It's a pain in the arse to find info on this kind of stuff.

18. JohnTres

JohnTres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The C100 is the replacement for the C300.
    The C100 is basically the same as the C300 but it has DPL2 and a restyled case to match the Pioneer DV454 DVD player (the C300 matched the DV444 and DV545).

You can get the C100 at www.empiredirect.co.uk for about 150 quid.
    I'm hoping to get one when I have the spare dosh for this and some speakers.

hope this helps,

John