1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaxial Speakers - Differences

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Plump, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    Since six years ago I am using Kef Reference speakers with Coaxial drivers. I have always been big fan and delighted how good and coherent these speakers sound. That was also the reason why I bought them first.

Recently I had a chance to listen to a couple of simmilar constructions, Thiel and Tannoy speakers. Both of them definitely much more advanced, more dynamic (when driven from dealer's meridian amps) and more precise than mine. I was especially wowed by Tannoy's (TD12) bass potential I would never expect from such construction. But what I was missing there was the coherence I have at home. This dealer even have sweet spot for Thiel's marked on the floor, but it was still not what I would expect to!

Am I simply used to listen to my set (listening'em for a long long time) or is it something else?
    any experiences?

Cheers!
    Plump.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Your KEFs are coaxial and co-planar. The competition is you mention is just co axial. This is one of the reasons the KEF UniQ is so damn addictive. Once heard it is difficult to give up.

The Tannoy TD12, good ain't it! Lovely speaker.

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely and ugly as sinn! But it hits you into the spine when it plays. Marvelous piece of engineering. If I could only afford it soon! That strong bass and clear middle, a dream!
    By the way, I always had a feeling that KEF limits it's bass performance in their Reference series. With those big drivers it could sound even stronger. I don't know, just my feeling.
    Or is my room too big (32 square meters)?

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    KEF filter off bass with a capacitor in their cross overs. This is actually quite unusual as normally speakers are left to a natural roll off. It means that there is little real low bass but is fine for stereo duties (even on my 4-2 it is bass limited, despite their size). The bass finishes quite quickly, level according to the model, and falls off very rapidly. The -3db and -6db figures are very similar. The advantage of this is the quality of the bass. Stereo it is not an issue, AV you should be using a sub anyway!

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually have some feeling in stereo too.
    And for the movies, I currently plan to test REL subs - small one and strata one too. What proves the best will enter my house!
    Anyway, after having it tested I will be hopefully be able to tell more.
    (Was just a small talk.)
    Cheers!
    Plump.

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The REL sub will also complement your speakers for music, improving the overall sound, if properly set-up.

Get the Strata III, no contest...