1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaxial leads and the Pioneer 2011...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Billilu, May 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted a bit of advice. I've got a Marantz 67 Mk II SE CD player and putting it through my Pioneer 2011. So should I switch from phono interconnects to a coaxial lead?

Having read a bit about it on this forum, I know it depends on whether my DAC converter in my CD is better than the DAC converter in the Pioneer. Before I go and fork out on a new coaxial, does anyone have any opinions on which is likely to sound better? I know it's all in the ear of the beholder, but I'd appreciate some advice.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    well ... before forking out on a digital co-ax ... if you have a spare analogue interconnet ... do some experimentation with that between the digital out on your CD and the digital in on the Pioneer. If it sounds better, then go buy a dedicated lead and see if you get any further improvement - if not, return the lead.

3. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've tried both ways now, and it seems to be that vocals are better with the Phono interconnects, but that instruments have more clarity and distinction with the coaxial. Especially in Pro-Logic II Music, where I heard instruments coming out of my rear speakers I didn't know were there.

Has anyone else tried this with the 2011?

4. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Everything sounded better when I used the digital coaxial output of my Toshiba SD900 with my Pioneer 2011, instead of phonos. I even borrowed an Arcam CD72 for a weekend to compare with the Tosh. The Arcam was easily better when I did comparisons using the phono outputs of each player. But when using the digital coaxial connection of the Tosh vs. the Arcam's phono outs, I couldn't tell the difference under blind testing. So the Arcam went back to Sevenoaks. Just got a Pioneer 757, and the sound doesn't seem as good as the Tosh, even when using the digital coaxial output to the 2011. The picture quality is great though.