Coaxial help required!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Mick da Miller, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having just forked out a fair amount on a new Loewe TV (will arrive in few weeks) I'm currently sorting out all my cables to ensure a quality picture. Have just sorted the scarts and ordered 2 Thors. However, I'm now confused about my Sky connection. Currently the coaxial cable (the one they installed) runs from the dish (on the chimney) down the outside of my house and is then connected to a wall plate, where it links up to the sky box inside via another coaxial. Hope that makes sense! I'm concerned that this will decrease quality. I may have enough slack left outside to reconnect an 'F' connector to the end of the 'outside' coaxial and run it straight into the box - bypassing the plate entirely. My question is do I need to do all of this or is my current set up ok? As you may have guessed I am a complete novice when it comes to these things, so all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Hi,

They say that you should not use these plates (can cause problems) but i like yourself have one and although you should have a complete run from the dish to the box these do work fine, if they are installed properly..

If you are getting a good signal strength from the setup menu on your digi-box then i would leave it as it is and spend the cash on a decent scart lead from the digibox to your tv making sure the digibox is set to RGB not PAL and that you plug it into an RGB enabled scart socket on your new TV.

Thast just my two pence and im sure there will be others giving you there tips!!

Cheers

Dal ;)

3. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - but what is a decent signal strength? As I recall, (the last time I looked on the menu) my bar is about halfway, occasionally flicking one level and then back again.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    My signal strength is approx 75% and quality approx 90%. That is on a single run of coax ( and it ain't even satellite grade stuff ).

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is the same and I have no problems.

I wouldn't bother to change anything unless you have a specific problem with picture or sound breakup.

6. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get occasional sound gaps for half a second or so. Is this characteristic of sky?

7. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    How do I find out my signal strength?

Also can someone point me in the direction of a supplier of double shielded cable? My search on the net yielded only one result and they wanted far too much for p&p.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    System setup, signal check.

9. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loads of suppliers but satcure charge only £2.50 for postage if you buy 30 metres or less. If you want a 100m reel then expect to pay £7.50 carriage because it isn't going to fit through your letter box!

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs

Postage for cable is never going to be pennies because the copper is so heavy.