Coaxial/female RCA, the differance ?.

number 8

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a soundcard that, according to the manual, has a set of female RCA jacks for analog input and a set of Coaxial S/PDIF inputs that receives a sterio signal from a digital source. Thing is I can't see any differance between them and they both seem to fit the same jacks, what is the diferance and do I need to use diferante cables with diferante jacks for each of these connections ?.
Thanks,
Number 8. :confused:

Analogue audio RCA leads are 50ohm
Digital coax leads are 75ohm

Both cables will work with each input, but to get the best quality you should use the correct cable for the job.

Mark.

The analogue connection needs a cable with a pair of RCA connectors each end. The digital connection is a cable with a single RCA connector each end.

Buy a cable described as a 'stereo interconnect' for the analogue or a 'digital co-ax interconnect' for the SPDIF and you'll be fine.

What do you intend to connect to the soundcard?

No way ?!. How will I know what ohm my cables are ???.
It's often written on the packaging, at least for the "digital" cables. Often you can also see it from the color of the connectors:

white/red - analog audio L/R
orange - digital coax
yellow - composite video
red/green/blue - component (YUV)
black - subwoofer out

Of course this does not always apply and depends on the make/model of the equipment you are using, so it's more of a guideline.

BTW: Proper composite video cables (those with the yellow RCA/phono connector) are also 75 Ohm and can be used as "digital coax".

Hi, I've got a soundcard that, according to the manual, has a set of female RCA jacks for analog input and a set of Coaxial S/PDIF inputs that receives a sterio signal from a digital source.
A set of coaxial inputs as in several coaxial inputs or are they supposed to work together? If it's the latter it would get me worried.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom