Question Coaxial distribution solutions/options

G1OSE

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently completed an extension to my house and as part of that I ran CAT6 and Coaxial (the Virgin media quad cable) to each room going back to under my stairs.
The plan was to have everything terminate under the stairs and maybe distribute different things to each of the rooms or even different things to the same room (most rooms had 2 Ethernet and 2 coax minimum)

I now have a huge amount of cables to deal with, which is fine but I'm now starting to wonder what the best way of going about it is.

Ideally I would like to supply each room with a coax passing the Virgin media signal to then connect a box in the room as and when needed.
I would also like to pass DAB and TV Aerial signal to the rooms (either the same cable or different if possible.)
Ideally the Virgin cable would also run Sky if I changed provider. (If I did have sky I may want to have the Sky box under the stairs with the magic eye set up in each room)
I would also potentially like to push CCTV signal from the main Hikvision box (will probably be under the stairs) to each room

Given all of the above I started googling and now I have come across this:
Labgear LDU608G/S 4G Home Distribution Unit 8-Way

Would that work? Would it be the best option? (I know I can get this cheaper but just using it as an easy link)
Will it provide the power needed to send good quality signals around the house?
Should I send CCTV down one of the Coax and Virgin down another meaning one cable in each room does a different thing?
Any better/other options or solutions?

For the ethernet I have a Cisco switch which I was planning on passing from the Router to the input of the switch and then having everything else run from the switch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tricky following what you are aiming for - you jump between centralising sources and distributing sources.

A description of what you want to achieve in each room (forget about wires at this stage) will help define what is your best approach.

'Good quality' can mean many things - good quality RF 'base band' is better than poor quality base band video but is way short of HD if you have large Displays dotted around the house.

Joe

Hi

In each room I would ideally like to run Virgin TV (Potentially Sky if I change provider), DAB and TV and CCTV to a TV/Radio.
I have HD tv's in every room so I guess what I'm asking is, is it able to provide the power to drive a virgin box, TV via aerial and radio and CCTV signals at HD?

Thanks

Virgin/Sky - are you looking at a single Box (subscription) or multiple Box's (subscription's)?

Joe

At the moment I have single, so was thinking of moving the box between the rooms when needed, but an option would be to use the box under the stairs and distribute its output and have a sky eye type device to send the signal if possible?

If you are considering Distributing the RF Output of a SKY box the first thing to try is hook up the RF Out of your Box (newer Box's lack RF Out and will require the i/o dongle) to the RF Input on the TV and see how it looks on your HD TV's.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom